WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

I think it should be me and bishop vs gopher and tele..tele is 97 and gopher just got out of training pants so itll be an interesting dynamic.

can I be a slutty cheerleader in the background who is constantly bouncing in slo-mo

• Like 3

To be fair, the fact they embargoed it out the wazoo from critics made people suspect it was not going to be a crowd pleaser. Then Gopher's comments made people even more suspicious. Turns out the embargo was probably just because they didn't want critics poo-pooing the hype they had already built.

In hindsight, this was very smart. More movies should do this and take the RT watch aspect out altogether. If the studio feels they have built enough hype, embargo your movie till Thursday of release to hedge against any review issues.

Slightly ot, but I just noticed on Box office Mojo, The Avengers (2012) OS gross went up by  $1m. I remember something similar happening in 2012 with the last Harry Potter film, but by a bit more $$.

Yeah, they changed it last week right around when they updated the total for FF7 and put it above Avengers again (which, once again, turned out to be a mistake).

Guys check out Hasbro's stock today & what they said about why they are up ANOTHER 6% after already being up 70% on the year. JW merchandise, that is all.

IMO they made a huge mistake by making low quality toys and no human figures. They probably thought this movie was going to end up like JP3 and the popularity of this movie probably came as a major shock to them. I bet their JP5 toys will be epic though considering the success of JW.

IMO they made a huge mistake by making low quality toys and no human figures. They probably thought this movie was going to end up like JP3 and the popularity of this movie probably came as a major shock to them. I bet their JP5 toys will be epic though considering the success of JW.

LOL, I saw so many posts bitching about why there were no Owen/Claire figures.

WTF Hasbro?

I'm guilty of this all the time, but it's important to remember: 99% of the time, we don't know if a script is good or not, we just know whether the movie is good or not.

I don't know whether the JW script is good or okay or crap because I haven't read it. There can be a world of difference between what is written and what ends up on screen; this is especially true when you don't have a writer/director with a lot of clout who's shepherding the story through the whole process. My sense -- and I don't know whether this is true or not -- is that the JW movie is pieces of many drafts combined together. In and of themselves, those drafts might be fine... even excellent. Even the final shooting script might be fine. All I know is that the result, on screen, is a terrible mess, filled with narrative dead-ends, setups that go nowhere, reveals and character moments that weren't set up, a confused tone, action sequences without much cohesion or structure, and characters that are flat at best and incomprehensible at worst.

But that's the movie... not the script.

That's basically the point I was trying to make as well when talking about the script. There's an easy assumption to make that a film  — with trouble/changes brewing about the script for some time — with a lot of problems in the finished product has a lot to do with the script/writing. Articles like these don't help: 

http://deadline.com/2015/04/jurassic-world-script-credits-resolved-colin-trevorrow-speaks-on-arbitration-process-1201406086/

Anyway you want to view it, it's probably a team effort for all the things that went wrong with this movie — if you're one willing to admit this movie has these problems. My biggest concern isn't JW breaking/snatching records, but a green-light for Hollywood to put out more rehashes and other garbage as mass appeal money makers without much regard to the actual quality of the film and story. I can't help but think JW was so meta because it realized it couldn't just ignore all these inherent problems.

We've also seen the opposite side of the coin with Terminator Genisys relying so heavily on nostalgia and revisiting/rewriting the past (and ignoring previous sequels) as well, so maybe there's hope of this as a cautionary tale. Hollywood just isn't very good at learning the right lessons a lot of the time, and personally speaking, I didn't enjoy JW and probably wouldn't like Terminator Genisys (I didn't see it), I still do not want this nostalgia dependent model becoming an even more dominant trend.

LOL, I saw so many posts bitching about why there were no Owen/Claire figures.

WTF Hasbro?

There was a huge fallout regarding that on JPToys.com lol 

I was pretty pissed too. Would've loved to add them to my collection:

dd.jpg

051.jpg

ff.jpg

hh.jpg

Just a sneak peak.. there's plenty more :P

• Like 6