WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

That's what the Media selling an actors death around a comicbook movie will do for it's box office... It made the movie a "Must See" because of it, so don't deny it and drag this shit on for 30 pages arguing with me over it.. It's true and doesn't matter anymore..

Yeah but like...it quadrupled the Incredible Hulk's gross bruh.

That's some Ivan Drago destroying Apollo Creed levels of destruction. If Ledger dies, he dies. But the end result is the same. It was destruction.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

Universal in Florida>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Universal in Hollywood. The only advantage USH has is the backlot tour.

^this.

And their rumored lineup for the next 5-7 years is looking mostly spectacular:

• Sapphire Falls
  • CityWalk revamp 
  • Kong E-ticket for IOA (think Indy over at DL... on steroids) 
  • Volcano Bay 
  • Jimmy Fallon to replace Twister (C-ticket similar to Soarin') 
  • Hello Kitty to replace Lucy 
  • Fast and Furious E-ticket to replace Disaster
  • Ministry of Magic to replace Fear Factor 
  • Marvel Superhero Island revamp (including an Avengers E-ticket and Hulk overhaul) 
  • Possible Jurassic Park revamp with Gyrospheres D-ticket
  • Nintendoland to replace KidZone
  • Enhancements to Mummy and E.T. (Nintendo isn't supposed to replace E.T.) 
  • MIB/Springfield expansion plot 
  • Seuss expansion
  • Toon Lagoon overhaul/replacement 
  • Lost Continent overhaul/replacement 
  • More hotels
  • New entertainment complex 
  • Rumored 3rd gate.

As for the BO...

Ant-Man could have held better. The small opening and lack of family-friendly tentpoles after Pixels should help it get a 2.7x-3x. So it's on its way to $150-170 million DOM. Pretty solid considering the budget.

Minions held great considering how low its Friday was. $340-350 million is the likely final DOM. Phenomenal for a spinoff that isn't getting stellar reviews. Anything over DM1's DOM would be great for this.

Trainwreck's on its way to $100-120 million DOM. Apatow got his mojo back. Vacation should hurt its legs, unfortunately. Otherwise, I'd say $125-145 million DOM 

Inside Out and Jurassic World keep holding great. IO should get at least to $340-345 million DOM, while JW should make a serious run for Titanic's $658 million 

Hopefully, Pixels and Paper Towns can keep up the pace!  :)

• Like 3

IO opens in the UK next week, yeah? Ooh boy.

Happy for IO 300 mil, happy for JW 600 mil (my two lil' box office buddies)... and I'm not going to say "Universal fudged Minions so they weren't embarrassed with a -$50 mil 2nd weekend" and get people on my case.

...oops.  :P

Yeah but like...it quadrupled the Incredible Hulk's gross bruh.

That's some Ivan Drago destroying Apollo Creed levels of destruction. If Ledger dies, he dies. But the end result is the same. It was destruction.

Even Batman Begins grossed more than TIH.

^this.

And their rumored lineup for the next 5-7 years is looking mostly spectacular:

• Sapphire Falls
  • CityWalk revamp 
  • Kong E-ticket for IOA (think Indy over at DL... on steroids) 
  • Volcano Bay 
  • Jimmy Fallon to replace Twister (C-ticket similar to Soarin') 
  • Hello Kitty to replace Lucy 
  • Fast and Furious E-ticket to replace Disaster
  • Ministry of Magic to replace Fear Factor 
  • Marvel Superhero Island revamp (including an Avengers E-ticket and Hulk overhaul) 
  • Possible Jurassic Park revamp with Gyrospheres D-ticket
  • Nintendoland to replace KidZone
  • Enhancements to Mummy and E.T. (Nintendo isn't supposed to replace E.T.) 
  • MIB/Springfield expansion plot 
  • Seuss expansion
  • Toon Lagoon overhaul/replacement 
  • Lost Continent overhaul/replacement 
  • More hotels
  • New entertainment complex 
  • Rumored 3rd gate.

Apparently this will be the last year for reportedly a straight decade that Universal Orlando will not have a new attraction opening. Goddamn.

Although the Hollywood park is wiping out a considerable amount of their soundstages to build new rides starting in 2017.

• Like 1

If anyone is disappointed with Ant-Man's OW its there fault

The only people disappointed are those who looked at GOTG OW and didn't understand why it did as well as it did. Other studios would kill to have a 58M OW as the floor for their movies, especially when it's accompanied by a good OS number. If you were someone who didn't follow box office you'd think Marvel had just released a bomb, rather than a movie that will make a sizeable profit.

• Like 3

A movie named Ant-Man, people, opened with almost 60 million dollars! Again...a fricking movie named Ant-Man, which sounds like a crappy Friedberg & Seltzer parody of Marvel movies, just grossed close to 60 million dollars in its OW in the USA. Oh, and it has a Fresh rating on RT and an A cinemascore.

To me that proves that Marvel can sell anything, anything to the masses.

If this isn't proof that a Black Widow film could be a hit (heck, at this point, a Squirrel Girl film from Marvel would be a hit), I don't know what is.

Ant-Man will be fine, it will make a tidy profit, and this movie will simply propel the character into the movie-going consciousness, beyond the confines of fanboy-dom.

Marvel are still a smart studio and they keep building their brand beyond the "A-list" characters.

Good for them.

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 7

His death made the movie at the time a "Must See" over TIH.. Not to mention the fact that HULK 2003 didn't exactly do TIH any favors by leaving the bad aftertaste in the audience's mouth's in being willing to give a reboot a chance... It took TA to do that obviously..

You do realize TDK would have still grossed more without Ledger's death, right? I mean... I am not saying 530M, I am gonna go really low and say 250M to see if we can reach an agreement. 

• Like 1

The only people disappointed are those who looked at GOTG OW and didn't understand why it did as well as it did. Other studios would kill to have a 58M OW as the floor for their movies, especially when it's accompanied by a good OS number. If you were someone who didn't follow box office you'd think Marvel had just released a bomb, rather than a movie that will make a sizeable profit.

I gotta wonder: if Ant Man were to say, have come out in the same slot after a July just as absurdly lame as July 2014... would it too do nearly 95 mil OW?

Edited by goldenstate5

And Black Widow would do very well because of ScarJo. Just look at shitty Lucy. That movie was ridiculous garbage and did well. Marvel needs to get a Black Widow movie out within the next couple of years while the ScarJo iron is still hot.

And Black Widow would do very well because of ScarJo. Just look at shitty Lucy. That movie was ridiculous garbage and did well. Marvel needs to get a Black Widow movie out within the next couple of years while the ScarJo iron is still hot.

People do not understand why Lucy did well. A Black Widow movie wouldn't come close to those results. 

• Like 1

That's impossible because no matter what I say about the subject, it's the usual cry me a river type of shit of people claiming how offended they are as if they're related to the guy or something and it's nothing more than false anger in an effort to go on some dumb crusade over it.. Welcome to 2015..

you cried about a fight for over a month bitch

• Like 2

The Terminator franchise is dead. Paramount is gonna have to pass a crazy embarrassment when they release a statement saying the sequels have been canned :lol:

Edited by CJohn