grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

No its not Futurist. Critics are just people. They dont hold an apodictic view on something. Movies like Top Gun and Beverly Hills Cop were trashed when they came out. Same with Empire Strikes Back. The list can go on and on.

Everyone here has probably seen several Adam Sandler movies and most people don't need critics to tell them the latest one isn't garbage, they need critics to tell them that for once it's not garbage.  Its not just 2 recent bad Sandler movies it's a decade plus filled with truly awful Sandler movies.  Why are Sandler or Sony deserving of the benefit of the doubt or my time & money?

• Like 3

Everyone here has probably seen several Adam Sandler movies and most people don't need critics to tell them the latest one isn't garbage, they need critics to tell them that for once it's not garbage.  Its not just 2 recent bad Sandler movies it's a decade plus filled with truly awful Sandler movies.  Why are Sandler or Sony deserving of the benefit of the doubt or my time & money?

I Just don't understand how such a good concept falls into the hands of Adam Sandler.

How could Sony fuck up that bad? I'll have to go and study some more leaked email to find out.

Apparently film festival acquisitions have not been doing so hot at the box office recently: http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-bad-summer-for-indie-movies-1437690182#pq=05819i

When the people behind “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” prepared to release it last month, you couldn’t blame them for having high hopes.

The quirky comedy was the darling of January’s Sundance Film Festival, where it played to standing ovations and ignited one of the fiercest bidding wars the event had ever seen. It swept the grand jury and audience awards for best dramatic picture.

In one of many rave reviews, Variety said this comic tear-jerker about cancer was “destined not only to connect with young audiences in a big way, but also to endure as a touchstone for its generation.”

With no big stars and a plot that involves teenage cancer, “Me and Earl” had obvious commercial challenges. But executives saw that another movie with the same elements,“The Fault in Our Stars,” proved to be potent counterprogramming against summer blockbusters last year (helped by its origin as a hit young-adult book).

Fox Searchlight, which won the aggressive bidding war for the movie at Sundance, launched “Earl” around the same date as “Fault,” with overly optimistic expectations driven by Sundance bids exceeding $10 million. (Searchlight ultimately paid less in exchange for sharing a bigger chunk of the expected profits with producers.)

“This summer has been dominated by the studios, which hasn’t always been the norm in the past,” said Jonathan Sehring, the president of IFC Films, which released “The D Train.”

It was another sad lesson for film fans who pray that the multiplex world of theatrical releases can support more quality films. These films continually dominate the Oscars. Top stars want to work in them. And audiences can’t live with superheroes alone—there must be counterprogramming alternatives for young people during summer vacation and adults who don’t care about sequels. Moreover, Twitter and Facebook should be making word-of-mouth easy to spread, cutting into the old model of slick, lavishly financed marketing assaults on television and billboards.

This latest bout of rejection has prompted indie filmmakers to eye more closely the option of skipping theaters entirely and turning to video on demand, including new indie-film buyers like Amazon and Netflix, to get their movies out there.

So why such a bad summer? Some pin the blame on the growing diversity, quality, and quantity of big-budget tentpole fare, which this summer has ranged from smart action like “Mad Max: Fury Road” to animation with sophisticated themes like “Inside Out” to broadly appealing family adventure such as “Jurassic World.”

Others argue that indie audiences may see less point in going to theaters at all, given the increased quality of television dramas and more prestigious movies that premiere on video-on-demand.

• Like 1

Low RT score ≠ bad movie

Wait, isn't that exactly what it means? That's a percentage of how many professional critics liked the movie. That is like saying, few winning games ≠ bad sports team.

Just like people like bad sports teams people can like bad movies. It doesn't change the fact that they are bad.

Another Sandler opening, another rant from big baum about how critics know nothing.

Audiences didn't want this one either, evidently.

59% audience score along with the RT critics score means this film is universally panned. 

• Like 1

So why such a bad summer? Some pin the blame on the growing diversity, quality, and quantity of big-budget tentpole fare, which this summer has ranged from smart action like “Mad Max: Fury Road” to animation with sophisticated themes like “Inside Out” to broadly appealing family adventure such as “Jurassic World.”

Hmm. 'Diversity' and 'quality' aren't words I'd immediately associate with summer blockbusters these days. Mad Max is blatantly an outlier in that regard.

Wait, isn't that exactly what it means? That's a percentage of how many professional critics liked the movie. That is like saying, few winning games ≠ bad sports team.

Just like people like bad sports teams people can like bad movies. It doesn't change the fact that they are bad.

Completely different things. With sports trams you can use the record to somewhat determine the quality of the team. With movies (which is an art form) quality is subjective. Critics opinions are no important than anyone elses. When it comes.down to it my opinion is the one that I'm going to use and not the critics

This weekend is death.

Seriously... with basically every movie being in the mid-teens or lower next weekend through normal drops, I won't be surprised if Rogue Nation breaks out big and hits around 75-80M OW. Vacation can do a 35-40M 5 day.

Nope. Not a decade long. His films are well liked. And the multipliers and openings prove it. Hes made three horrible films recently.

• Like 1

Yeah well the comedy in pixels is obviously aimed at a certain audience and if you don't find it funny it's because you don't get it. No I'm not saying that to be pretentious it's just the truth. If you don't get the comedy in pixels you don't really know much about the era. So that can also be blamed on the filmmakers I guess. But I will never change my tune about critics they don't know anything more than what you and I do.

• Like 1