grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

I haven't seen any trailer, poster,... but I'm rather interested how The Man From U.N.C.L.E. will do.

Loved the TV-series then (here it was called Solo für O.N.K.E.L.). Never re-watched it (I am a bit afraid that I might like it less now), might be interesting to do so and compare it to the modern cinema version. Hopefully they included the international team aspect, that was, what I liked especially during the Cold War.

U.N.C.L.E. Will do ok and will do fine as decent late summer counterprogamming and could have decent sized legs if good WOM.

I may be wrong, but I think Paper Towns is that type if movie where a lot of us are going to watch it and think "this should be the type of movie critics would love..."

I'm expecting a pretty good movie.

Completely random, but after seeing Ethan's new name, the first thing that came to me was the username should be Soylent Green is Life.  It is a better reference anyway :P

Completely random, but after seeing Ethan's new name, the first thing that came to me was the username should be Soylent Green is Life.  It is a better reference anyway :P

Soylent Green is Peoples would be better and more accurate anyway.

Edited by Insidearcher
  • Like 3

Whatever you do, DO NOT google "Shrek is love, Shrek is life", and absolutely DO NOT click on the first video or first image link. DO NOT DO THIS.

• Like 6

Pixels: A good idea for a sci fi comedy ruined by bad execution. And letting Sandler pretty much call the shots on the film (his company co produced it) was the worst mistake.

That the Geek Critics....who are the film's prime target demo....ripped it just as much as the mainstream critics tells you something.

In the end it boils down to the film just plain not being funny.

With a 70 to 90 Million dollar budget  it might break even,but still another big dissapointment for Sony. Serves them right for turning it over to Sandler.

• Like 1

Pixels: A good idea for a sci fi comedy ruined by bad execution. And letting Sandler pretty much call the shots on the film (his company co produced it) was the worst mistake.

That the Geek Critics....who are the film's prime target demo....ripped it just as much as the mainstream critics tells you something.

In the end it boils down to the film just plain not being funny.

With a 70 to 90 Million dollar budget it might break even,but still another big dissapointment for Sony. Serves them right for turning it over to Sandler.

Lord Jesus, what did Sandler do to you!?

• Like 1

Weirdly enough, Tomorrowland and Genisys may actually make it into the top 15 at the end of the summer despite underperforming horribly.

1. Jurassic World: $650 million 
  2. Avengers 2: $455 million 
  3. Inside Out: $360 million 
  4. Minions: $345 million 
  5. Mission Impossible 5: $190 million 
  6. Pitch Perfect 2: $185 million 
  7. Vacation: $175 million 
  8. Ant-Man: $165 million 
  9. San Andreas: $150 million
  10. Mad Max - Fury Road: $150 million 
  11. Fantastic Four: $130 million 
  12. Straight Outta Compton: $120 million 
  13. Trainwreck: $115 million 
  14. Spy: $110 million
  15. Southpaw: $105 million (with a $25-30 million OW) 
  16. Pixels: $100 million 
  17. Terminator Genysis: $95 million 
  18. Tomorrowland: $90 million 
  19. Ted 2: $80 million 
  20. Magic Mike XXL: $70 million 

Definitely possible... of course, that's my best case scenario for the rest of the summer. MI5 and Ant-Man are locked for $100 million DOM, so they'll be 12th and 13th at best. 

4 out of the 6 $100m contenders will have to make it in order for Tomorrowland/Terminator to miss the top 15. 

Compton

F4

Pixels

Southpaw (if it does $25-30 million this weekend) 

Trainwreck (depends on its holds the next two weekends) 

Vacation 

1. Jurassic World: $650 million 
  2. Avengers 2: $455 million 
  3. Inside Out: $360 million 
  4. Minions: $345 million 
  5. Mission Impossible 5: $190 million 
  6. Pitch Perfect 2: $185 million 
  7. Vacation: $175 million 
  8. Ant-Man: $165 million 
  9. San Andreas: $150 million
  10. Mad Max - Fury Road: $150 million 
  11. Fantastic Four: $130 million 
  12. Straight Outta Compton: $120 million 
  13. Trainwreck: $115 million 
  14. Spy: $110 million
  15. Southpaw: $105 million (with a $25-30 million OW) 
  16. Pixels: $100 million 
  17. Terminator Genysis: $95 million 
  18. Tomorrowland: $90 million 
  19. Ted 2: $80 million 
  20. Magic Mike XXL: $70 million 

Definitely possible... of course, that's my best case scenario for the rest of the summer. MI5 and Ant-Man are locked for $100 million DOM, so they'll be 12th and 13th at best. 

4 out of the 6 $100m contenders will have to make it in order for Tomorrowland/Terminator to miss the top 15. 

Compton

F4

Pixels

Southpaw (if it does $25-30 million this weekend) 

Trainwreck (depends on its holds the next two weekends) 

Vacation 

LOL Vacation is not coming anywhere even close to $175M.

LOL Vacation is not coming anywhere even close to $175M.

It's the only major comedy until October (American Ultra, go to your corner  :lol: ), so it could open to $25-30 million and leg its way out. Nowhere near a lock, but I have a good feeling about its legs/WOM. Especially if F4 opens to $35 million, UNCLE opens to $15 million, and Compton opens to $20 million. 

That's my best case scenario predict though  :P

$110-140 million is my semi-realistic guess, especially since 2010 is the only year in the last decade without an R-rated comedy grossing at $150 million+ DOM. 

Plus, summer 2015 is due for one more crazy breakout. Vacation or Compton are the only two that fit the bill. Although Southpaw could do it if it gets a $30-35 million OW out of nowhere. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-adam-sandlers-pixels-810861

Sony's big-budget Pixels, the action-comedy starring Adam Sandler, could approach or cross $30 million in its North American debut, slightly ahead of expectations and likely enough for a first-place finish, according to early Friday returns.

However, it is too early to say whether moviegoing in the U.S. will take a hit this weekend because of Thursday night's theater shooting in Louisiana during a screening of Trainwreck that left three dead and nine others injured.

John Green YA film adaptation Paper Towns is on course for a weekend debut in the mid- to high-teens, which would put it slightly behind expectations. That's still a win, however, considering the Fox movie cost a modest $12 million to produce.

The weekend's third new offering, Antoine Fuqua's gritty boxing drama Southpaw, starring Jake Gyllenhaal, is pacing to open in the $15 million range for The Weinstein Co., a solid start for an adult-skewing title.

• Like 2