grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

Redfirebird's been projecting that for quite awhile.

I don't even think it will get to 650. People keep comparing it to Avengers but that film had an expansion from less than 125 theaters to over 1700 theaters when it was basically dead at $618m. That expansion gave the movie another $5m for the total gross. I doubt JP4 will receive similar treatment from Universal.

No it isn't. These movies are cheap as chips to make, given that they are dramas with actors who are just starting out and can't demand big salaries. They will be small but consistent, and maybe every now and then one will really break out like Fault.

Given that Fault is by far his most popular boom, I would say the chances of something breaking out like it in the near future are slim. Looking for Alaska, in my opinion, should be made into a more mature drama, (maybe an Oscar bait?) and not market it like a teen romance drama.

I've seen about 10 different movies so far this summer, but if I had to pick my top 5 it would look something like this :D

1. Jurassic World (IMAX 3D)

2. Jurassic World (2D)

3. Jurassic World (RealD 3D)

4. Jurassic World (3D)

5. Jurassic World (4D)

How was JW in 4d? I've heard it was one of the best 4d experiences yet? What effects did they throw at you? lol. It's annoying they don't have 4d theatres in the US yet.

I don't even think it will get to 650. People keep comparing it to Avengers but that film had an expansion from less than 125 theaters to over 1700 theaters when it was basically dead at $618m. That expansion gave the movie another $5m for the total gross. I doubt JP4 will receive similar treatment from Universal.

It may not matter when it's still running $39 million ahead.

It may not matter when it's still running $39 million ahead.

Avengers made $8.9m in Weekend 7, potentially $2m more than what we're going to see from JP4 this weekend. Avengers then had yet another ridiculous hold in Weekend 8 for $7.17m (potentially more than JP4 will make in Weekend 7). JP4 is not going to keep pace with that.

Overall it's still going to have a better multiplier despite much stronger competition and no re-expansion at the end of its run. Pretty amazing given how strong the WOM was on TA1. JP4 not getting enough credit in that department.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 4

Avengers made $8.9m in Weekend 8, potentially $2m more than what we're going to see from JP4 this weekend. Avengers then had yet another ridiculous hold in Weekend 9 for $7.17m (potentially more than JP4 will make in Weekend 8). JP4 is not going to keep pace with that.

Overall it's still going to have a better multiplier despite much stronger competition and no re-expansion at the end of its run. Pretty amazing given how strong the WOM was on TA1. JP4 not getting enough credit in that department.

That because JP4 is not a fanboy film. 

• Like 1

At this point, I would rather see something bomb spectacularly rather than just "underperform."

How about we switch Pixels and Paper Towns numbers...? :ph34r: This isn't going to effect John Green's other work being adapted is it?

Due to Papertowns Friday numbers, Fox has announced that all future adaptations of John Green novels are cancelled, pending further notice.......... NAH!! :P

• Like 1

How was JW in 4d? I've heard it was one of the best 4d experiences yet? What effects did they throw at you? lol. It's annoying they don't have 4d theatres in the US yet.

Easily my worst viewing of Jurassic World, but still liked it because you know.. it's JW and I'm crazy about it.

It gave me a 4-dimensional headache with all the constant vibration/movements, flashing of light, water sprays and sudden jerks. It was similar to being seasick. But there were a lot of people (including my friend) who loved all of this as it made them feel like a part of the movie, so to each their own I guess. I just wanted to experience what 4D is all about, and what better movie to try it out for the first time than JW! Here's some of the effects that I remember:

They spray water on you when Momo jumps into the water

Your seat shakes every time Indy puts its foot down

Flashes of light when ACU are shooting at the dinosaurs

Vibration when Indy/Rexy roar. 

Air comes out of your seat from behind your neck to simulate "breeze" during aerial shots or pteranodon scenes

And more water when the kids jump off the clif

That's all I can remember but I'm pretty sure there was a lot more.

• Like 1

judging from this weekends performance, I think the best comparison we could get from TA's original run is by comparing JW's 7th weekend to TA's 8th weekend and then compare it from then on and stopping at TA's 17th week as after that it got the boost. I think their gross will be the most comparable with that. With that comparison then JW will most likely get at least 19m more until it's 16th week, meaning it will gross 642m by then. Only time will tell if Universal or Legendary chooses to extend it or not but I hope they do, specially with Legendary as they always extend their movies' run.

Edited by kowan
  • Like 1

Crazy how much the DM franchise is resembling Shrek. First movie breaks out with crazy good WOM, second movie isn't quite as well received but it opens huge abd legs are still very strong, third movie (effectively Minions in this case) has an even bigger opening but it drops off the map pretty fast. Wondering if Uni can prevent a Shrek 4 scenario with DM3.

• Like 1

How was JW in 4d? I've heard it was one of the best 4d experiences yet? What effects did they throw at you? lol. It's annoying they don't have 4d theatres in the US yet. Easily my worst viewing of Jurassic World, but still liked it because you know.. it's JW and I'm crazy about it.   It gave me a 4-dimensional headache with all the constant vibration/movements, flashing of light, water sprays and sudden jerks. It was similar to being seasick. But there were a lot of people (including my friend) who loved all of this as it made them feel like a part of the movie, so to each their own I guess. I just wanted to experience what 4D is all about, and what better movie to try it out for the first time than JW! Here's some of the effects that I remember:   They spray water on you when Momo jumps into the water Your seat shakes every time Indy puts its foot down Flashes of light when ACU are shooting at the dinosaurs Vibration when Indy/Rexy roar.  Air comes out of your seat from behind your neck to simulate "breeze" during aerial shots or pteranodon scenes And more water when the kids jump off the clif   That's all I can remember but I'm pretty sure there was a lot more.
Please stop calling Indominus Rex "Indy". I beg you.
  • Like 1

judging from this weekends performance, I think the best comparison we could get from TA's original run is by comparing JW's 7th weekend to TA's 8th weekend and then compare it from then on and stopping at TA's 17th week as after that it got the boost. I think their gross will be the most comparable with that. With that comparison then JW will most likely get at least 19m more until it's 16th week, meaning it will gross 642m by then. Only time will tell if Universal or Legendary chooses to extend it or not but I hope they do, specially with Legendary as they always extend their movies' run.

This is a good post. TA made $7.1m in Weekend 8 while JP4 will make somewhere around that same ballpark in Weekend 7. I think it's headed for low to mid 640's total.

Easily my worst viewing of Jurassic World, but still liked it because you know.. it's JW and I'm crazy about it.

It gave me a 4-dimensional headache with all the constant vibration/movements, flashing of light, water sprays and sudden jerks. It was similar to being seasick. But there were a lot of people (including my friend) who loved all of this as it made them feel like a part of the movie, so to each their own I guess. I just wanted to experience what 4D is all about, and what better movie to try it out for the first time than JW! Here's some of the effects that I remember:

They spray water on you when Momo jumps into the water

Your seat shakes every time Indy puts its foot down

Flashes of light when ACU are shooting at the dinosaurs

Vibration when Indy/Rexy roar. 

Air comes out of your seat from behind your neck to simulate "breeze" during aerial shots or pteranodon scenes

And more water when the kids jump off the clif

That's all I can remember but I'm pretty sure there was a lot more.

That sounds like fun to me! I like those kinds of effects when watching the movie.