grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

I've heard this, I think it's dumb. Potter should never be rebooted. Daniel, Rupert and Emma ARE Harry, Ron and Hermione. And I can't ever see anyone other than Alan Rickman as Snape. Everyone in that cast defined the characters for the screen.

And I'm not even a hardcore fan.

Everyone talks about.Daniel and Emma but Rupert is so underrated in those movies

• Like 1

If MARVEL has peaked like you claim, then INFINITY WAR Part 1 an 2 is doomed by your logic and that couldn't be further from the truth.. Same goes for CIVIL WAR.. It seems all of a sudden, the moment someone is disappointed in a MARVEL movie, whether it's AOU or another movie, it's all if a sudden MARVEL peaking...

Let us say Marvel has indeed peaked, why should IW I and II be doomed? You surely love over reacting.

Edited by kayumanggi

They won the last 3 summers. Maybe thats what he means.

And only lost the last 2 years domestically by a smidge. Jurassic World's bitchslapping is the biggest loss they've ever had(not counting years before 2012)

They will win next summer.

The way it's being implied by some is that MARVEL is finished and every movie after AOU will sure disappoint or not gross as much as TA did, that those days are gone and I said that couldn't be further from the truth.. No overreacting like you claim or not..

People are implying Marvel is finished? Ok.

Corporate conglomerate vs. corporate conglomerate is getting really old. Just talk about the movies, please. 

Anyway, speaking of the movies, I bring good news!

Ant-Man: 7.8

Minions: 7 

Pixels: 6.4

Trainwreck: 5.2

Southpaw: 4.7

Paper Towns: 2.7

IO 2.4

JW 2.15 

Everything's up except Pixels!

• Like 24

Corporate conglomerate vs. corporate conglomerate is getting really old. Just talk about the movies, please. 

Anyway, speaking of the movies, I bring good news!

Ant-Man: 7.8

Minions: 7 

Pixels: 6.4

Trainwreck: 5.2

Southpaw: 4.7

Paper Towns: 2.7

IO 2.4

JW 2.15 

Everything's up except Pixels!

Ant-Man 24.89m, up from 24.765m

Minions 22.8m, up from 22.1m

• Like 1

So I didn't quite have the whole theatre to myself... 6 people :P

And I may be showing my age, but Paper Towns deserves better than its getting. As a coming if age story or a romance, its pretty run of the mill you could say. But it is extremely well acted, and it has a lot to say. Whether or not this is a result of the source material, its a pretty intelligent movie.

There's a scene in Paper Towns that I can't wait for Ethan to see

the Ansel Elgort cameo

and come back to the Forum and freak out about it.

Ethan, don't click that spoiler tag.

• Like 1

So I didn't quite have the whole theatre to myself... 6 people :P

And I may be showing my age, but Paper Towns deserves better than its getting. As a coming if age story or a romance, its pretty run of the mill you could say. But it is extremely well acted, and it has a lot to say. Whether or not this is a result of the source material, its a pretty intelligent movie.

How was Nat Wolff? I want him to be a star because I think he is so hot in like a normal person way. :P

How was Nat Wolff? I want him to be a star because I think he is so hot in like a normal person way. :P

Honestly, he was really good! I liked him in TFIOS, but I didn't think he was the right got for Q. But he transformed in a way, because he really isn't the same person as he was in Fault.

Honestly, he was really good! I liked him in TFIOS, but I didn't think he was the right got for Q. But he transformed in a way, because he really isn't the same person as he was in Fault.

I found him fascinating in Palo Alto, even if it isn't an essay on whatever the best acting is. He has good screen presence and I get the idea he is a cool guy.

I found him fascinating in Palo Alto, even if it isn't an essay on whatever the best acting is. He has good screen presence and I get the idea he is a cool guy.

He seemed so relaxed in his role; the fact that he felt comfortable made you feel comfortable watching him. One thing that was great about all the acting was that none of the kids were really trying to overact, but rather just portray realistic representations of their characters.
  • Like 1

Some seem to have missed the difference of CBMs to non-franchise,... whatever movies in connection to drops and...

pre-evening pre-viewings instead of midnights, or how ever you may call those, started around mid-2012 to artificially increase the OW-weekend = extremer decreases, especially for 'fan-franchise-....' movies

general ~ slump after some (expensive) high enthusiastic extremer performances of other franchises

quality of the advertising. A bad one can influence for over a month or more, even with great WOM

depending on the ppl involved (a very few actors/directors/source-material,.... have cult-followers) the OW might be rather extreme frontloaded. Can also count for franchises

seemingly ppl prefer to not leave their air-conditioned homes, counts for the most of the other movies too.

CBM 2nd weekend drops (be aware, a few fall into the (partly beginning) school holidays, a lot of those not)

Some are early summer releases, some are late summer releases, some... late summer CBMs seems to increase the drops (with equal quality, WOM, advertising quality,…)

some have strong competitions for parts the same ~ groups of audience, some not

amount of time betwenn/to other CBMs releases and 'size' of those

quality of it's predecessor (not so good hurts at leat 1 to 2 movies afterwards, very good helps OW and partly influences 2nd and… weekend aka influences general interest)

differing age-restrictions, gender appeal, diversity, ....

WOM is IMHO slightly more important for franchise drops than usually, depending on the aimed for age-groups...

general trends to like, hype, dislike,… movies, genres, directors, actors, studios,… seem also to play into BOs (via e.g. hype and critics reviews...)

some CBMs are introducing a charcter, some introduce a team, some use already established characters or teams...

public holiday around OW or 2nd weekend changes precentages in relation to the other weekends

amount of screens/theaters they even get

shootings:

I guess the first one caused maybe a 6-8% drop, the 2nd one might be max. 2%. Might depend on the movie's age restriction too, e.g. families might react in another way than teens w/o accompaning parents or…

2nd weekend drops:

pre the 1st shooting, aka when midnights were real midnights:

X-Men (July 2000) = -56.9% (not sure if a lot of midnights happened, or at all)

X-Men 2 (early May 2003) = -53.2%

X-Men 3 (end May 2006) = -66.9%

Wolverine 1 (early may 2009) = -69%

X-Men 4 (early June 2011) = -56.2%

Spider-Man 1 (early May 2002) = -37.8%

Spider-Man 2 (early July 2004) = -48.7%

Spider-Man 3 (~ early May 2007) = -61.5%

Ghost Rider (July 2007) = -55.8%

Ghost Rider 2 (Feb 2012) = -59.3% (OW = public holiday)

ASpider-Man 1 (early July 2012) = -44.2%

Hulk (June 2003) = -69.7%

Daredevil (Mid Feb 2003) = - 55.1%

Elektra (Jan 2005) = - 69% (OW = public holiday)

Fantastic Four (July 2005) = -59.4%

Fantastic Four 2 (June 2007) = -65.5%

Constantine (Feb 2005) = -59.5% (OW public holiday)

Batman Begins (mid June 2005) = -43.4%

Superman Returns (lat June 2006) = -58.5% (OW = public holiday)

TDK (July 2008) = -52.5%

Watchmen (early March 2009) = -67.7%

The Losers (April 2010) = -37.4% (started low, crashed after 2nd w/e rather extreme)

Jonah Hex (June 2010) = -69.7% (3rd w/e = -92.4%!)

Green Latern (June 2011) = -66.1%

IM (early May 2008) = -48.1%

IHulk (June 2008) = -60.1%

IM 2 (early May 2010) = -59.4%

Thor (early May 2011) = -47.2%

CA 1 (late July 2011) = -60.7%

The Avengers (early June 2012) = -50.3%

shooting at midnight showing/screening

TDKR (22 July 2012) = -61.4%

after shooting, midnights start ~ 19:00 to 20:00 o'clock

IM 3 (early May 2013) = -58.4%

Thor 2 (early Nov. 2013) = -57.3%

CA 2 (early April 2014) = -56.6%

GotG (earliest August 2014) = -55.3%

Avengers 2 (early May 2015) = -59.4%

Ant-Man (July 2015) = -56.5% (est., including Gopher's latest update)

Man of Steel (June 2013) = -64.6%

Wolverine 2 (late July 2013) = -59.9%

X-Men 5 (mid-late May 2014) = -64.2% (OW = public holiday)

ASpider-Man 2 (early May 2014) = -61.2%

Ant-Man's earlies were $6.4m, for the ones who want to calculate the drop w/o pre's

About the one who seems to be 'afraid' about Marvel's per year sums:

starting 2018 they'll release 3 movies per year instead of 1 to 2 movies.

Not counting the Spider-Man movie they'll help to produce (or do more or less entirely, depending on the ramblings in the net) to be released in 2017.

And a bit of merchandise,... income, that a lot of other studios can not count on, hence CBMs, franchises like Jurassic, … are interesting for studios in general too.

In especial the movies with not that big of a BO they seem to earn more via home video than with the others (franchise CBMs). If interested, compare e.g. Thor 2's DVDs/Blu-Rays to CA 2's and the other way around CA 1 to Thor 1. Might be a 'didn't found friends to accompany me, so I'll buy the disc' thingy too

No problem, when someone wants to repost those number details, e.g. FF is coming soon too, I'll guessing we'll see a lot of strange/biased/uninformed/??? posts again here in the forum.