Asyulus

Official Weekend Estimates |MI5 - 56M; Vacation - 14.9M; Ant-Man - 12.6M; Minions - 12.2M; Pixels - 10.4M; Trainwreck - 9.7M| Pg58

Guys this isn't the 90s. Rogue Natuon isn't making 200m with a 50m opening

50m OW would be pretty bad for this kind of movie off a 20m OD. Should be more around 55m, maybe higher if the Sat hold is great. 55m would require a 3.8x multi to beat GP. That is absolutely possible with such a dead August for competition and the great WOM it is bound to get. Just look at GotG's 3.55x multi last year releasing this time, and that was the ever frontloaded CBM genre and had a much higher OW. MI is an espionage action flick. It should play very well to the older audience, and that will make it even less frontloaded. Btw, if GP had gotten a normal release it likely would have opened around 40m, giving it well over a 5x multi. Yes I know it was the holidays and a weak holiday season that year, but still the franchise is not by any means a front-loaded one (MI3's box office woes aside). 3.5x is my floor multi for RN, and I'd put the ceiling over 4x. Legs will be there. 

• Like 1

Rebecca Ferguson is great.  But she's no Michelle Monaghan.  Wouldn't you agree, Tele?

Can Monaghan do this :

tumblr_nrzjnd3rME1s86mfwo1_500.gif

She did it 3 times in the movie. And when she gave one of the bad guys 

the People's Elbows, I think the male audience was in heaven.

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1

I have to see this in the movie itself to believe this guy was taken down that easily without putting up a fight and killing her.. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far..

She does that move 2 or 3 times in the movie. And she loves People's Elbow too.

Very hot, very convincing

Edited by zackzack

so Rogue Nation would be the Interstellar of the summer

As long as it drops 40% next weekend and jumps 2% in the 4th weekend and someone moves Christmas to summer to give it great late legs....sure  :)  ;)

I know it will have summer weekdays and seems they could compensate for Interstellar's weekends but not really.

Interstellar had good weekdays in the 1st week and stellar :ph34r:  in the 3rd week(Thanksgiving). And it's late legs were too good.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=interstellar.htm

It was an original film too. In this thread sequelitis has been conveniently forgotten, like it happened for DotPotA. After DotPotA's 50% 2nd weekend drop it looked on track to match RotPotA's 3.22x but ended at 2.8x.

2.8-3.2x could happen for MI5. With 4m in previews 2.8-2.9x for a sequel is a feat in itself.

MI3 was 2.8x, without previews, with a 30% Sunday drop in May. So with previews and a stronger Sunday hold, the same 2.8x would be applaud worthy. 3.0x would be amazing.

Edited by a2k

I have to see this in the movie itself to believe this guy was taken down that easily without putting up a fight and killing her.. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far..

It's a take-down in an action movie by a strong person with skills.

Anyway, recently I heard of this movie about a man using a suit to become physically as small as an ant and increase his strength manifold. He is going to join other members. One who from invented a sci-fi robotic exoskeleton AI suit and flies around in it, another dude who is uhm a god, a guy with serum injected to become very strong and agile but really should get pwned by others, another guy who like gets angry and becomes nearly indestructible and green and large..and..

• Like 4

You can say what you want but Ferguson was probably the closest thing to a Mary Sue that I've seen in a movie since Bella Swan. I mean I'm all for the action girl, but it came to the point where I began to wonder how there could possibly be someone as perfect as she was. There was nothing she could do nothing wrong, I'm surprised they didn't end the movie by proclaiming her the new leader of some super special spy organisation, designed to take down threats to tough for Ethan Hunt and friends.

Just for clarity when I say that she could do nothing wrong, I'm referring largely to the way she could continuity be seen apparently betraying both Hunt and the bad guys whilst neither side seemed willing to actually do anything about it. That she was given one more chance to prove herself by killing Ethan Hunt at the end is probably the biggest example of what everyone allowed her to get away with in this movie.

Nothing against Ferguson though, I liked her in this.

Edited by Caesar