CJohn

Fantastic Four (2015)

Grade It  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

Can someone list all the action scenes in the movie? I may not see this if there aren't many, as it sounds horrible.

The Thing and Mr. Fantastic fight for about two minutes and about a fight minute five of all four against doom.

The lack of action really had nothing to do with the problems in the film though

• Like 1

The Thing and Mr. Fantastic fight for about two minutes and about a fight minute five of all four against doom.

The lack of action really had nothing to do with the problems in the film though

Are the The Thing and Mr Fantastic regular humans when they fight, or do they actually use their powers?

Either way, I am very disappointed.

Are the The Thing and Mr Fantastic regular humans when they fight, or do they actually use their powers?

Either way, I am very disappointed.

They use their powers but Thing kicks his ass, and it wasn't two minutes...it may have felt like it (the whole entire film felt like 4 hours) but it was only like a 30 sec. fight.

Edited by Bishop54
  • Like 1

I could totally see the movie working if it had the 3 major setpieces that Trank planned, all the material left in the editing room, which I presume was our four heroes bonding (the proper second act I guess) and more body horror that Trank mentioned and was so well done in the film (from what was left). 

I didn't have any problem with the script other than some lines being overwritten,  laughable science mambo jumbo and not one single joke that worked. I also didn't have a problem with the cast as they gave pretty good performances, Mara being the highlight and Cathey giving the least good , but still decent, performance of the bunch. Well shot and it did have a greatly atmospheric score. 

For me, it's clear as day that Trank had nothing to do with almost half of the movie, the last 25 minutes lacked the good filmmaking present in the first hour of the film, the climax being the best example, it doesn't try to create suspense or tension, it doesn't even try to build a momentum, and the action is terribly choreographed. 

Structure wise the movie was a mess and it felt incomplete, no doubt, but I still liked it, not sure how much yet,  I need to rewatch it before giving my final verdict, but I think it will hold up decently in the subsequent viewings. 70/100

Not perfect. There's a bit of a focus problem. But it's conceptually interesting. The actors are pretty great.

Considerably better than Age of Ultron.

one could say it's the best SH film of the year :ph34r: Edited by Goffe

Let me divide my review into three parts:

Prologue: Awful. I don't know why it was here. Didn't add anything to the film and was just cringeworthy throughout.

Before time jump: Actually pretty decent. Yeah, there's poor dialogue here and there and both Grimm and Johnny are short-changed, but ultimately, it's enticing and enjoyable. The scene after they get their powers is great too, it was when the movie fully had my attention.

After time jump: Why. Why was this time jump here? Everything interesting seemed to happen in the year we missed out on. Why bother with jumping forward in time so much too? The lines were cringeworthy here all the way through, and I honestly couldn't stand any of it.

A lot of potential missed out. I don't know who to blame, but this was bad overall. D+

I see it now. We're not seeing deep enough into the movie. The clash between Trank's vision and Fox's vision as clearly seen on the screen was intentional from the start. It's a metaphor for the internal clash within the Fantastic Four as they come to terms with who they were and who and what they have become.

This is my favourite post ever.

It's such a sad film I can't even muster energy to mock it. 

I will just say two things I think have been understated.

First, editing never lets the film breathe, there's literally zero build up to any moment, classic rush "let's get over it" job.

Second, cinematography and photography are pretty sweet compared to everything else in the film,  including the super disappointing score by Glass.

Edited by Goffe