Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

I like Nolan a lot and liked Interstellar, but didn't love it. Am just assuming that Scott has not pulled off anything wonky here and keeps it simpler than Interstellar. Else the 'bring him home' theme alone will not be enough for 200m. Looking at the trailer I felt they have kept it straightforward.

I thought you were a Nolanite candidate at one point. No more.

• Like 1

This movie is like Jaws would have ended with the guy getting his leg bit off in the estuary.

Or if Raiders of the Lost Ark would have ended with Indy and Marian in the well of the souls.

Or if Friday the 13th the final chapter would have ended with Rob getting killed in the basement

Or if Superman 2 would have ended when Clark gets beat up at the diner when he is no longer Superman

Or if Harry Potter only had three chapters instead of 85 (actually that would have been better)

Or if Fellowship of the Ring ends when Gandalf dies.

• Like 1

I completely agree, 100M would be great for The Martian. However I do think it has the scope for much higher targets if everything goes very well.

Again I say, directed by Ridley Scott. Even when I personally like his movies, the GA never seems to these days.

This movie is like Jaws would have ended with the guy getting his leg bit off in the estuary.

Or if Raiders of the Lost Ark would have ended with Indy and Marian in the well of the souls.

Or if Friday the 13th the final chapter would have ended with Rob getting killed in the basement

Or if Superman 2 would have ended when Clark gets beat up at the diner when he is no longer Superman

Or if Harry Potter only had three chapters instead of 85 (actually that would have been better)

Or if Fellowship of the Ring ends when Gandalf dies.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Lets look at the facts here. Ridley Scott has the ability to make movies that large audiences enjoy. No not every one of them is a hit, but he has had three movies that adjusted grossed over 200M. He certainly has the potential to make massive hits - and I personally believe that The Martian could be the next one. People comparing this to Exodus is ridiculous, it was obvious from the outset that Exodus was going to bomb.

Aehm, I do compare it to the impact his movie Blade Runner had then and so on.As already mentioned in this thread, I have seen it and earlier movies as an adult, hence I can remeber the then reactions rather good (I had lots of partly rather heated discussions then about e.g. his work) Reactions of viewers, then ratings by critics... and such. A lot of people didn't ~ understand his movie(s) fully at the time of their release

the middle potters blur together. I remember scenes but I'm not sure if I can connect them to the right movie. it's like with SAW with the exception of the first I can never remember which traps are in which movies. the plotting nor character development of the middle ones isn't so grand that it really needed 8 movies. coulda been a montage.

Edited by cooliod1

To me Potter is this:

A young boy has really fat guardians, they hate  him and treat him like shit.  He goes to a school for wizards, meets some really nice friends, both with red hair, and some real assholes, one who looks like a brain child of Hitler.  Harry is despised by Hans Gruber and meets a cool wizard who is the cousin of Gandalf.  While at the school, he finds a cloak that makes him invisible, plays hockey on brook sticks, and his red headed female friend grows up to be really hot.  He spends years being afraid of some dude who cannot manifest himself yet everyone is afraid of him and then finally Harry, without much of a problem kills him.  It would be like if Luke killed Vader in Empire.  And none of the other SW were made.

That's Potter.

• Like 3