CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

Remember at the end of last year when most of us were expecting a complete Disney domination of 2015? Universal has done some pretty epic wig snatching.

snatchyowigoff-vi.gif

Disney haven't dominated for decades, Universal is having a year for the ages, will be interesting if it can maintain the form next year. Disney probably gonna finish third, WB is the the true king of consistency. MI5 to beat Uncle? Edited by Alfredstellar

Universal likely will have modest hits with Everest and Steve Jobs, Jem and the Holograms won't do well but likely is cheap enough to make some money and By the Sea likewise will do okay but not huge. 

Crimson Peak will do well. Legend is being underpredicted. Steve Jobs and Everest should do well.

Crimson Peak will do well. Legend is being underpredicted. Steve Jobs and Everest should do well.

Legend is a limited release and Crimson Peak is gonna flop hard. I agree about the other 2. 

• Like 1

Legend is a limited release and Crimson Peak is gonna flop hard. I agree about the other 2. 

Sure it's limited release? Where is that info?

I think CP is gonna do well, as horror is ready for a breakout this year.

Disney haven't dominated for decades, Universal is having a year for the ages, will be interesting if it can maintain the form next year. Disney probably gonna finish third, WB is the the true king of consistency. MI5 to beat Uncle?

Minions/DM, Jurassic and Furious are Universals three biggest franchises by far.

And they won't be releasing all three in the same year any time soon.

In other words, their domination won't be long lived.

Warner Bros can only compete with Disney by releasing alot more movies every year.

• Like 1

Sure it's limited release? Where is that info?

I am going by BOM, not very reliable nowadays, I know :lol: But it seems like the type of movie that would work better as a limited release rather than a wide release. 

Edited by CJohn

Minions/DM, Jurassic and Furious are Universals three biggest franchises by far.

And they won't be releasing all three in the same year any time soon.

In other words, their domination won't be long lived.

Warner Bros can only compete with Disney by releasing alot more movies every year.

Pitch Perfect 3, Despicable Me 3 and Fast 8 are all coming in 2017. Unfortunately JW2 release date is set for 2018 :lol:

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

I am going by BOM, not very reliable nowadays, I know :lol: But it seems like the type of movie that would work better as a limited release rather than a wide release. 

I've been hearing quite a lot of anticipation from general audience members about LEGEND. Maybe that's just here.

I've been hearing quite a lot of anticipation from general audience members about LEGEND. Maybe that's just here.

In the UK it has much more hype (it is a UK production about a famous English gangster, makes sense) and it is a wide release.

Edited by CJohn

Pitch Perfect 3, Despicable Me 3 and Fast 8 are all coming in 2017. Unfortunately JW2 release date is set for 2018 :lol:

in the next few years, Uni has Warcraft, Pets, DM3, Furious 8, PP3, Jurassic Park 5, Bourne 5, Fifty Shades 2 & 3 (okay wont be big domestic, but huge OS), King Kong, another Dr Seuss... plenty of space for success.

• Like 3

In the UK it has much more hype (it is a UK production about a famous English gangster, makes sense) and it is a wide release.

oh I didn't even know it was about a famous Brit. I just knew it was a gang film.

in the next few years, Uni has Warcraft, Pets, DM3, Furious 8, PP3, Jurassic Park 5, Bourne 5, Fifty Shades 2 & 3 (okay wont be big domestic, but huge OS), King Kong, another Dr Seuss... plenty of space for success.

Plus Pacific Rim 2 ridiculous China total.

• Like 1

Just saw Man From U.N.C.L.E (our theatre didn't get Compton). Not great, but not bad either. Cavill and Hammer are so great when they are together, and I loved every second when they were on screen. The movie is super stylish and I love how it acted to self-confident; however, some of that confidence got out of hand, and I think Ritchie made a few missteps while directing.

Just for an example of something that threw me a bit off guard (no major spoiler but I'll put tags anyways) 

that whole chase sequence on the island near the end. From the air, you see that it's just some small island with a few buildings. But during that chase, it turns into some vast landscape filled with mountains and valleys and forests.

As a film, nothing happened that I didn't already expect, and the twists weren't all that surprising. But the film had lots of potential, and it almost works.

C+