CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

You sure you're not describing JW?

pretty sure I was describing AOU :)

Every good vs evil story has people trying to save a city, planet or universe but there are countless ways to explore that from Excalibur to Suicide Squad.

How many ways can you explore escaping dinosaurs?

I bet you hear that ticking clock like Captain Hook.

people said the same thing after JP3 and fell flat on their faces when JW came out. And in the case of DC, BVS and SS will be their first movies since 2013 - they aren't milking it to death. But whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.   

Yea I saw it like 4 times. Here in the UAE, the film is officially the highest grossing animated film of all time in the UAE!

Jurassic World is the second highest of all time after FF7

Universal announced this officially last week.

haha I saw minions just once but saw JW 16 times! Going to be 17 later today. I'm impressed by Universal's performance in the UAE this year and happy for all 3 films. Btw, good to see a fellow member from Dubai! And since you're Lebanese, keefak Ya zalama! :D
  • Like 1

To me it is.

MMFR was a masterpiece, it's only weakness was it's weightless & unlikable main characters. However I put it at the top of my list of my favourite movies this year anyway because I'm very forgiving when it comes to characterisation in blockbuster movies. However, I hold every movie to the same standard. You people who've given Mad Max a free pass for it's flaw turned around and spat on JW's every single flaw you could nitpick on. It's as funny and ironic as hearing a Baysformers fan bagging another movie for having too much explosions.

I'm the same as you -- I hold general genre movies to the same expectation as well. I'm not expecting some deep-thinking piece. I go in expecting to like and enjoy it. When I don't, I try to figure out why I didn't like it.

I'm not gonna go into another anti-JW rant or go into details again why I felt it was a lousy movie -- it's really not worth it for anyone, and it'd really serve no point. I know I'm in the minority with it (and other summer movies); that's fine, and I'm not slamming anyone who liked it.

If anyone is truly that interested, you could PM me, I guess. But it's basically an academic discussion: I certainly won't convince you it's bad, and you won't convince me it's good.

• Like 1

pretty sure I was describing AOU :)

people said the same thing after JP3 and fell flat on their faces when JW came out. And in the case of DC, BVS and SS will be their first movies since 2013 - they aren't milking it to death. But whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.   

haha I saw minions just once but saw JW 16 times! Going to be 17 later today. I'm impressed by Universal's performance in the UAE this year and happy for all 3 films. Btw, good to see a fellow member from Dubai! And since you're Lebanese, keefak Ya zalama! :D

Thanks! Am Egyptian btw but I travel a lot for work.

Ahlan beek:)

• Like 1

I love it when people try to bring down Mad Max like a flimsy movie to put JW on a pedestal. Except Mad Max doesn't posit that you're a bumbling idiot if you enjoy a wacky mutant albino shredding on his flame-thrower guitar while cars are exploding all over the screen lamenting the death of "true Hollywood spectacle in the good ole days" (in the nineties LOL) saying "The Road Warrior was leggit!". No, we came for the over-the-top wackiness and Miller revels in it without any shame. Why would he, because it's exhilarating and entertaining as it is on a surface-level, you feel he truly loves the madness that he's making. The hipsters are not the ones who criticize JW's cynical pose, the hipster is Trevorrow's self-awareness attitude that thinks he's better than that and wants us to know he's above it as well while failing to stage action scenes half as exciting and involving as FF (embodied in that annoying tech guy character's attitude).

Edited by MADash Rendar

I love it when people try to bring down Mad Max like a flimsy movie to put JW on a pedestal. Except Mad Max doesn't posit that you're a bumbling idiot if you enjoy a wacky mutant albino shredding on his flame-thrower guitar while cars are exploding all over the screen lamenting the death of "true Hollywood spectacle". No, we came for the over-the-top wackiness and Miller revels in it without any shame. Why would he, because it's exhilarating and entertaining as it is on a surface-level, you feel he truly loves the madness that he's making. The hipsters are not the ones who criticize JW's cynical pose, the hipster is Trevorrow's self-awareness attitude that thinks he's better than that and wants us to know he's above it as well while failing to stage action scenes half as exciting and involving as FF (embodied in that annoying tech guy character's attitude).

Did you seriously just say FF aka Fantastic Four has action that's better then Jurassic World? I just can't even. What The Fuck?

Edited by Mattrek Loves Del Toro
  • Like 1

But when the movie makes the amount of $$$$ it did, why not give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do with EPISODE IX??? He certainly can't be anyb worse than letting George Lucas Direct EPISODE IX, right???

Aren't you the guy that constantly say that Avatar making that amount of top dollars didn't mean shit, are you? So now, big money equals quality, uh?

MCU is more ambitious than your endlessly escaping dinosaur scenarios.

By 2030 there will be a library of films and tv episodes with dozens of Marvel characters while JP6 is rotting in the Walmart 5 dollar bin.

Wow. Fanboy calm down man. MCU is terrible as well. Hahaha

What is wrong with people here?

Trevorrow or whatever his name is, is a terrible director. I saw nothing that gave Jurassic World any distinct style. Yeah, I just wanted to have dino destruction fun. If you  want to put in some kind of socio-commentary, then well, you need to have more experience and skill than being a hack for hire. 

This whole "give indie director with one decently received movie a massive blockbuster" trend is awful. Give me a guy like Emmerich any day. If you want to make an intelligent destruction movie, you got to do better than flavour of the month. 

• Like 1

Just to throw my two cents in real quick on JW vs MMFR: MMFR's action is aggressive, outlandish, and always exciting. JW's is mild, conventional, and sometimes exciting. MMFR is a better movie on its entertainment merit alone. No need to even bring any other factors into the equation.

• Like 1

I'm the same as you -- I hold general genre movies to the same expectation as well. I'm not expecting some deep-thinking piece. I go in expecting to like and enjoy it. When I don't, I try to figure out why I didn't like it.

I'm not gonna go into another anti-JW rant or go into details again why I felt it was a lousy movie -- it's really not worth it for anyone, and it'd really serve no point. I know I'm in the minority with it (and other summer movies); that's fine, and I'm not slamming anyone who liked it.

If anyone is truly that interested, you could PM me, I guess. But it's basically an academic discussion: I certainly won't convince you it's bad, and you won't convince me it's good.

I am interested in this academic discussion.

Oh thank god. You nearly gave me a heart attack.

Well, F4 is better than JW.

I love it when people try to bring down Mad Max like a flimsy movie to put JW on a pedestal. Except Mad Max doesn't posit that you're a bumbling idiot if you enjoy a wacky mutant albino shredding on his flame-thrower guitar while cars are exploding all over the screen lamenting the death of "true Hollywood spectacle in the good ole days" (in the nineties LOL) saying "The Road Warrior was leggit!". No, we came for the over-the-top wackiness and Miller revels in it without any shame. Why would he, because it's exhilarating and entertaining as it is on a surface-level, you feel he truly loves the madness that he's making. The hipsters are not the ones who criticize JW's cynical pose, the hipster is Trevorrow's self-awareness attitude that thinks he's better than that and wants us to know he's above it as well while failing to stage action scenes half as exciting and involving as FF (embodied in that annoying tech guy character's attitude).

I didn't try to bring down FR to make JW look better. I'm aware of JW's faults and if I had to make a list of it's flaws my list wouldn't be much shorter than yours. l merely pointed out that people who went easy on FR weak characterisation should do the same for every movie. FR would beat every movie in the action department it isn't even up for discussion here (or anywhere).

Btw, I'm glad MI5 is doing well but I hope Uncle isn't flopping. Is Uncle as bad as both Sherlock Holmes movies?

It astounds me the amount of hate being shown on this site for what is ultimately a harmless crowd pleasing film that got decent reviews by critics as well.

Solid 7.3/10 on IMDb(nearly 8 out of 10 gave it a 7 or better), 81% liked by RT users and fresh 71% rating by critics(60% by Top Critics). I mean, this is not F4, guys. Yet it's being loathed by some on here as if made by Uwe Boll. So are you saying 7.5 out of 10 people don't have a clue what a good film is? I mean, I'm fine with Trevorrow directing Episode IX. I'm assuming this whole project is being shepherded by the writers/producers like the original trilogy. I mean, the director of ROTJ was Richard Marquand...not exactly known for his innovative direction. Yet ROTJ sits at #73 on IMDb's Top 250 and 95% liked on RT. Its reviews were not rapturous, but it was a crowd pleaser. Sounds familiar.

• Like 7