CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

So newspapers online publications critics radio and television all refer to black audiences as urban audiences and yet you are going to get on his case about this? We are all just repeating what we read and what seems to be the politically correct way of saying things. I think it's time you guys lay off BKB.

Hmm reminder: here are people of other regions, where this term is used in another way... including in highly held / accepted dictionaries

but why I post:

I do not think BKB is an innocent with his posts e.g. incl. STFU... (and past impressions in other sub-forums and here might play into that too) and such will not help to get the calm back here

Back to BO

2 weeks into Ant-Man IM4 got released, 2 weeks into MI5 the actual weekend happened. I'd guess that visualisation shows a bit how IM5's release pushed down a bit Ant-Man, but this weekends cinema visitors seem not to have a down-pushing effect for IM5.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons/Ant-Man/Mission-Impossible-Rogue-Nation

Curious to observe the next ~ 3-4 weeks+ (till the next few days after Labor Day)

I like such visualisation, when knowing / remembering the situations or at least some details behind the 'curves'

• Like 1

We need to stop this. I think JW has to become another MoS where we have to avoid mentioning it at all. Using a AJG expression, they are the Voldemort of movies (I actually hide this comment so probably nobody saw it). MoS discussion needs to be BvS thread exclusive, and JW discussion needs to be JW2 thread exclusive.

Tele just wants to see the thread burn.

A global black star is one thing but movies with mostly black cast usually flop OS.

I actually think Ride Along would have done quite well here. Comedies tend to perform well, but with the Get Hard and The Wedding Ringer bombage earlier this year here won't help these type of movies getting released here in the future (those were actually released here just because Lets Be Cops was a monstrous hit here, but those in total didn't even reached what Lets Be Cops did on OW). 

Impressive opening for Compton. Poor for U.N.C.L.E.

Very good for MI5.... it managed sub-40% drop after all!

A 3.5x multiplier from this weekend, which shouldn't be too difficult.... would mean a finish of 181.6M..... just enough to outgross the first MI.

FF will cross 50m, it seems..... but just barely. 55m finish is my guess.

Ant-Man and Minions are doing that thing again for the past few weeks.... that JW and IO were doing, albeit on a lower level. Ant-Man, in particular, seems to be holding pretty well, and will not finish that much behind CA.

• Like 1

Old white man who has "lots of black friends" tells people not to get offended by words and phrases "people have used forever"…eyeroll.gif.  Any other words or phrases used throughout history BKB you don't think people should get offended by? Exactly, so just stick to slobbering over Marvel's knob and shut up about what people should or shouldn't find offensive.

I'm offended by you comparing Marvel fandom to fellatio.

Pwease stahp.

I mean, the Beatles are the most popular and high-selling act of all-time. They're the Beatles, man. They had such an influence that it set off a domino of influence that trickles down to nearly every act today. Their records still sell. I still see people wearing the T-Shirts all the time. They come up in any discussion of the greatest musical acts ever. But that said, I think SOC's run is an exception to the music biopic rule- NOT the new rule. SOC had alot of advantages that no other music biopic has had or probably will have. A perfect intersection of nostalgia with sociopolitical zeitgeist. Active involvement from two members who just HAPPEN to still be hugely relevant. Inorganic marketing through the Compton album and the Straight Outta... memes. And it wasn't a moderate release or a platform release- Universal treated, hyped, and marketed this like a major summer tentpole. I could see a Beatles or Tupac biopic doing maybe high 20s or low 30s, but this combination of factors would be tough to beat. That's why it's such a rarity.

Now, a full-scale Michael Jackson biopic with good buzz that doesn't shy away from the bad stuff? That would do 40+. Surprised it hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

SOC is still an urban film. The title includes the name of an urban city. It's main characters are from that city. Films like Colors and Boyz N the Hood are urban films because they deal with inner city gangs. Outsiders also dealt with inner city gangs. It was an urban film.

(Please note how until this note, I did not bring up the words "race", "black" or "white" because they irrelevant to my point)

I mean I agree completely. That's exactly what I was saying in the last sentence. My point was that people AREN'T using in that context. They're using it to describe all black people (for the most part, at least, there are exceptions). 

I actually think Ride Along would have done quite well here. Comedies tend to perform well, but with the Get Hard and The Wedding Ringer bombage earlier this year here won't help these type of movies getting released here in the future (those were actually released here just because Lets Be Cops was a monstrous hit here, but those in total didn't even reached what Lets Be Cops did on OW).

I don't blame studios for not releasing movies with black cast overseas since they don't do well.

But why are predominantly white films the only ones with universal, global appeal?

Now, a full-scale Michael Jackson biopic with good buzz that doesn't shy away from the bad stuff? That would do 40+. Surprised it hasn't happened yet.

An honest MJ biopic? Don't worry, Jackson's family will make sure that never ever happens.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

I'm not trying to start another derailing debacle. :lol: But really, people dislike movies for any number of reasons, and they're all meaningful to that person. Why is it so laughable to dislike this particular movie?

I shall now move on.

You're just going to lay out that fat juicy steak and expect no one to touch it. :P