CoolioD1

Best Original Score 2011

One absolutely beautiful and emotional track that was used regularly throughout the film. War Horse's score doesn't come close to Jurassic Park, Artificial Intelligence, Sorcerer's Stone, Prisoner of Azkaban, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Revenge of the Sith. Sorry, but it's a fact.

It's better than all those bar Jurassic Park and MAYBE Memoirs.

Why was Drive disqualified? Too soundtracky? I never understand their criteria.

It probably relied too much on existing material. Then again, The King's Speech's big climatic scene with the title event used Beethoven's 7th and Desplat still finangled a nomination for that (instead of The Ghost Writer :angry: ) so their criteria is wonky.As I've said before, War Horse is easily John Williams' best effort since 1993. Sorcerer's Stone is a great piece of work but it doesn't break out of its comfortable mold for most of the film. Chamber of Secrets has little new or exciting music because Williams essentially had almost no time to work on it. Prisoner of Azkaban goes a bit more daring but also has more misteps as a result. His Star Wars prequel scores are all strong, but are limited by their relative lack of new material/themes. Same with Indiana Jones 4. Catch Me If You Can is whimsical and fun, but nothing too memorable. He turned out some very strong work with Munich and Saving Private Ryan that definitely could contend for the since-93 title.The great thing about War Horse's score is how the music radically shifts tone and thematic arrangement once the first act ends. We don't see those first act themes again until the final handful of scenes when they arrange for a gorgeous mix of music and cinematography. Edited by 4815162342

From most to less probableWar HorseThe Artist HugoEX&ICTintinFrom what i've listened my preferences includes War Horse, Tintin, Harry Potter 8, The Artist & Super 8. Apes, Xmen, EX&IC, Hugo & Jane Eyre had also very good scoresI really pray Dragon Tatoo score doesn't get nominated. It's a nightmare of a score