Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend #s: Straight Outta Compton - 26.8M; Mission Impossible - 11.7M; Sinister 2 - 10.6M; Hitman - 8.2M; American Ultra - 5.5M

Nope, that is not what I am saying, as I do not look such ... fixated (term?) at any movies details.

E.g. MI5 has not only Tom Cruise as a well known and/or liked actor in it (that counts for MI4 too btw) = I do not think it's all tied to one person, nor a franchise is alone the reason for anything.

I do not 'expect' anything from any stand alone, franchise, other kind of movie series, I only analyse numbers as they happen(ed), look into details like animated or not, r-rated (what might differ from country to country btw), genre, re-watch-appeal (up-lifting giving mood ...), advertising, distribution, director's reputaion, market saturation, release months, public holidays in which countries, contracts of distributer in which country for what reason, merchandise, and so on.

Or which other movies got released time-near to what kind of genre movies in what country... and so on again.

I do not even use terms like 'better than'... for analysing, each movie has it's special / unique mix of reasons for.... so I analyse each for its own and look how far the movie made money for its studio and/or distributer and so on.

That MP-other income-mix... I do compare, but only to movies that are IMHO really compareable.

= usually at least 3 years after the last country got a release I can finally start to do the real analysing, when enough details are finally available or see HV the first bigger percentages are usually already sold.

I do also look into changings of BO... for franchises and the reasoning given by fans and non-fans... in addition to my other collected details as movie... quality still is a rather important point too - obviously (but very good movies still can bomb, if e.g. the advertising is bad, not the right Zeitgeist or....)

Btw, I follow general movie market details since the '90

Awesome. Do we agree that MI5 is doing better than AM? Not saying that AM is doing bad, but clearly MI5 is a level up, both quality and performance wise.
  • Like 1

So China will get Terminator a sequel similar to how it got Pacific Rim one.

Genisys will set a new precedent, first 400M WW movie to not hit 100M domestic.

I told you so, sorry guys.

You don't draw any conclusion on a movie s bo performance until the China run has ended, in 2015.

This particular market has become too big, even if studios only get 25% of the total, remember that american studios don't pay for the marketing and distribution for their movies in China either, the local distributor does.

Win-Win.

• Like 1

Terminator dominating in China after absolutely flopping here is bonkers, to say the least.

But as I mentioned before, overseas territories are really the only reason these bomb apparent Sci-Fi/Fantasy films get made anymore. A new Terminator movie could end up having like a 90% overseas share.

• Like 2

I think critics are being too hard on Sinister 2. While it is nowhere near a masterpiece it still wasn't a 13% on RT movie. If I hadn't already knew the score I would have expected something in the 30s-40s. It met my expectations (which were low) and I enjoyed the deputy's expanded role.

Awesome. Do we agree that MI5 is doing better than AM? Not saying that AM is doing bad, but clearly MI5 is a level up, both quality and performance wise.

Nope, for several reasons. It starts with: I do not compare,... especially not before the movie's runs have ended and so on.

I do not think so anyway, I think they started pretty even, but as they started with 2 weeks in between their situations are not the same to give only one example for thinking that

I really hate it people try to compare the 'quality' of movies out of different genres and I haven't seen both anyway, so if I would be inclined to compare such kind of movies (what makes no sense to me) I couldn't even do it

So China is like home video was back in the 90's when Blade and Austin Powers got sequels

Can be, but there is no guarantee...

Happy Birthday terrestrial

Thank you too :D

• Like 1

I don't think 400 would even necessarily get it one. If it does bc of China, they'll take the Die Hard route and push out movies for February with half the budgets.

Agreed.

I think the next Terminator could be much better with a 75m budget and much better writing. Way better than another overblown 155m budget blockbuster. ;)

So China is like home video was back in the 90's when Blade and Austin Powers got sequels

Not sure if that is a valid comparison. Blade made $70m domestic/$131m worldwide on a $45m budget, Austin Powers made $53m DOM/$68m WW on a $16.5m budget. New Line at least broke even on Blade after theatrical WW, and Austin Powers was already in profit by the time it finished theatrical WW. Neither of them were domestic theatrical flops - they both cost less and adjust to more DOM than Genisys.

I think critics are being too hard on Sinister 2. While it is nowhere near a masterpiece it still wasn't a 13% on RT movie.

I've never really understood this train of thought? You could be surprised if so few critics stand up for a movie (like I was for Ultra) but comments like 'that should've been 30-40% at least on RT' are saying 'more rando critics should've enjoyed it' as opposed to 'the film is not that bad'.

• Like 1

Hell, the FIRST Terminator movie showed you can do a good Terminator story on a very low budget.

It's an issue of "James Cameron raised the bar with T2, so we HAVE to go just as big." I too would love to see a smaller Terminator movie, but Hollywood has a problem with lowering the bar on theatrical franchises. (See: The Amazing Spider-Man being promised to cost less, and be more street-level and romance-oriented with more practical effects, and still it turned out to cost as much as the Raimi movies, and TASM2 turned out just as costly and overblown as SM3.)

• Like 1

I've never really understood this train of thought? You could be surprised if so few critics stand up for a movie (like I was for Ultra) but comments like 'that should've been 30-40% at least on RT' are saying 'more rando critics should've enjoyed it' as opposed to 'the film is not that bad'.

I'm just saying with the quality of the movie I'm surprised more critics didn't enjoy it.