terrestrial

w/e est.PerfectG 26.7|Visit 25.7|WarR 7.4|MI5 4.15|SOC 4.1 p.21 - Sun rth TPG/TV 5.5|WR 2.4|WITW 1.2|MI5 1|SOC 950k p.26

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-perfect-guy-visit-1201591225/

The Perfect Guy” appears to be the perfect antidote for a laggardly U.S. box office, with Sony’s thriller heading for a $25 million opening weekend, according to early Friday estimates.

M. Night Shyamalan’s horror project “The Visit” also appears to be coming in well over the recent forecast with a launch in the $20 million range. Both new titles had been pegged to open in the $15 million to $17 million range.

“The Perfect Guy,” playing at 2,220 sites, was heading for an opening day in the $10.5 million range and “The Visit,” showing at 3,069 locations, was tabbed to come in with about $8.8 million on its first day including $1 million from Thursday night previews.

Why is the Perfect Guy doing so well? It got no advertising and it wasn't even screened for critics. There are zero reviews anywhere.

It is doing well because of the same reasons No Good Deed did well last year. 

Why is the Perfect Guy doing so well? It got no advertising and it wasn't even screened for critics. There are zero reviews anywhere.

The "No Good Deed" audience went out to watch a very similar movie I guess. WB should just release their Katherine Heigl - Rosario Dawson movie with a similar storyline on this weekend next year.

Edited by grim22

The "No Good Deed" audience went out to watch a very similar movie I guess. WB should just release their Katherine Heigl - Rosario Dawson movie with a similar storyline on this weekend next year.

Both have a very big appeal for the so called "urban" audience. There are not many movies targeting them. I always expected The Perfect Guy to do around 15M OW, and besides the dude that predicted 28M, I was one of the highest predictions, but damn, 25M is crazy.

• Like 2

Actually this isn't that surprising. The Perfect Guy is serving an underserved market. Everyone always acts surprised when films targeted at black audiences do better than expected, yetit happens time and time again. Good for the The Visit, it will be a solid hit.

Yeah... But it looks so bad

• Like 1

Both have a very big appeal for the so called "urban" audience. There are not many movies targeting them. I always expected The Perfect Guy to do around 15M OW, and besides the dude that predicted 28M, I was one of the highest predictions, but damn, 25M is crazy.

I predicted 18-20M so yeah it is doing way better than most expectations. But for a change, this is a movie almost everyone expected to do well and top the weekend, just that it is overperforming expectations but not an out of nowhere surprise.

• Like 3

Yeah... But it looks so bad

It does and probably is, but the black audience doesn't get much. We also need to take into account that the actors, while not especially famous to the GA as a whole, are generally very well-known to black audiences. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that last point though.

• Like 3

Are you working tonight? Some updates for the two openers would be pretty cool  :D

Actually, I'm not!   Since school started and we 3-4 managers that are in college, they can't work during the week, so I'm getting more weekend days off now!

I'm totally fine with that!

But, I still may go see The Visit again if it looks like there's gonna be a good crowd.

Edited by Boner Omega
  • Like 1

Actually, I'm not!   Since school started and we 3-4 managers that are in college, they can't work during the week, so I'm getting more weekend days off now!

I'm totally fine with that!

But, I still may go see The Visit again if it looks like there's gonna be a good crowd.

That is great for you. 

It seems like a good weekend for a Rth return. 

It does and probably is, but the black audience doesn't get much. We also need to take into account that the actors, while not especially famous to the GA as a whole, are generally very well-known to black audiences. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that last point though.

The only reason I even knew that a movie called "The Perfect Guy" exists is because they have been running commercials with WWE Raw for the past month and a half. I'm guessing their advertising campaign was very very specifically targeted based on the demographics they wanted to reach.

• Like 2