WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Maze Runner - 30.3M | Black Mass - 23.4M | Everest - 7.5M | The Visit - 11.4M | Perfect Guy - 9.7M

At the beginning of the year sequels were doing pretty good (SpongeBob:Sponge Out Of Water, Furious 7, Pitch Perfect 2,hell even AOU did fine, Mad Max:Fury Road, Jurassic World, Minions, and Rogue Nation) but right after that sequels have taken a large dive Magic Mike XXL made 48 million less than its predecessor domestic and its worldwide was less than over 60 million of the first movie, then Ted 2 lackluster with a total less than the first film did in 7 days. Maze Runner 2 will probably just maybe have overseas to cover it, and this is dissapointing considering how hype was and how popular the first movie was so if it debuts between 28-30 million this weekend it's drops will be terrible and it might earn between 75-80 million domestic or so if it holds up like the first movie then 85 million domestic or maybe even 90. Black Mass is no matter what off to a nice start 24-26 million is pretty good and this could hold up strong for the weeks to come. Everest also is having a decent debut in limited release which is a good sign for it's expansion next weekend.

At the beginning of the year sequels were doing pretty good (SpongeBob:Sponge Out Of Water, Furious 7, Pitch Perfect 2,hell even AOU did fine, Mad Max:Fury Road, Jurassic World, Minions, and Rogue Nation) but right after that sequels have taken a large dive Magic Mike XXL made 48 million less than its predecessor domestic and its worldwide was less than over 60 million of the first movie, then Ted 2 lackluster with a total less than the first film did in 7 days. Maze Runner 2 will probably just maybe have overseas to cover it, and this is dissapointing considering how hype was and how popular the first movie was so if it debuts between 28-30 million this weekend it's drops will be terrible and it might earn between 75-80 million domestic or so if it holds up like the first movie then 85 million domestic or maybe even 90. Black Mass is no matter what off to a nice start 24-26 million is pretty good and this could hold up strong for the weeks to come. Everest also is having a decent debut in limited release which is a good sign for it's expansion next weekend.

Its not different from any other year. Some sequels do more or as much as expected and some do less.

Mixed WOM? I guess if you pretend a B+ grade is bad, sure. Halfway to its production budget after opening weekend is pretty good.

And a big laugh at MR being like "every other YA adaptation out there". No. The violence and no shoe horned love triangle alone says that is incorrect. Also think Dylan O'Brien does laps around Jennifer Lawrence with his performance. JL is a terrific actress but man can she be wooden at times in THG.

LOL. Yup. His "Run!" scream is so expressive.

I guess "YA" has reached it's peak.  But "MR2" numbers look to be only a slight drop from the original and it has had a nice overseas opening thus far but like the "Divergent" series I just feel like it's doing "Just enough" and not really a breakout series.   I don't think that's a bad number for "Black Mass".   It's on pace to do better than other Gangster Classics from Johnny like "Donnie Brasco" and "Blow" and more in line with "Public Enemies".   I was unsure about "Everest" but that's a solid limited opening.  Big drops for the holdovers from last week but they did very well last weekend.   That is a solid PTA for "Sicario".   "Jurassic World" will cross 650 soon.  MI5 has turned into a leggy beast by the way. 

• Like 1

I hope the boxoffice performance won't affect Dylan's career in a negative way. This kid can have a bright future.

Box Office rarely impacts fledgling acting careers. O'Brien will get to show off his chops in Deepwater Horizon (another September release next year), Death Curse and another 30 or so episodes of Teen Wolf, so his career is fine. His agents are clearly doing things right, leveraging his talents in Teen Wolf and the social media following he has to secure roles. What the Maze Runner has done is give the director Wes Ball some exposure. Give him a great script and I think he'll be able to make a good movie.

MR2's box office performance has more to do with the creative and marketing choices by Fox. And look, $300m+ WW is nothing to brag about for the genre, but when it's budget is $63m, I'll take the money and run.

Edited by Knoxcore
  • Like 1

Great for Everest. I really hope it breaks out next week. Saw it on IMAX 3D and loved it! I enjoyed it more than Black Mass. Then again, I love tearjerker movies. Although I didn't know this was gonna be one of them since I wasn't familiar with the real story.

I'm sorry but my comments yesterday were far too soon. the johnny depp comeback is called-off.

I don't think any actor has the ability to significantly (10's of millions) affect box office. I'm of the school of thought that BO is a combination of marketing, creative choices, franchise and the environment of release with choice of actors playing a small role in the final result.