Plain Old Tele

THE BIG SHORT | Paramount | December 23, 2015 | Adam McKay directing | Pitt, Bale, Gosling, Carelll

12 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Was I the first on the, "The Big Short could win BP wagon"?

I feel special.

Had you seen the movie already? As soon as the credits hit I was 100% on the bandwagon. Usually you need to follow how the awards season "game" is playing out, but in this case just seeing the movie gave me all the confidence in the world about what the big Oscar winner this year is. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Had you seen the movie already? As soon as the credits hit I was 100% on the bandwagon. Usually you need to follow how the awards season "game" is playing out, but in this case just seeing the movie gave me all the confidence in the world about what the big Oscar winner this year is. 

Nope, I knew what it was about, I figured Spotlight was peaking early, and there really was no other movie I could see winning best picture besides one of those two.  It's playing with the academy much better than the critics or press.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Nope, I knew what it was about, I figured Spotlight was peaking early, and there really was no other movie I could see winning best picture besides one of those two.  It's playing with the academy much better than the critics or press.

Wow, nice. I have to admit I never thought of this as a big BP player before seeing it. Having seen it, it feels so much like a modern Best Picture winner that I do think anything else is irrelevant for competition now. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

I just don't see it. The 2008 financial crisis is a cottage industry now and this film didn't feel like it was saying anything particularly illuminating. I much preferred Spotlight

What you prefer doesn't a BP winner make.

• Like 3

No duh. If I had my way Shaun the Sheep and The Good Dinosaur would be nominated for BP.

I really don't think this will even be in the conversation when all's said and done, especially with other big hitters like The Revenant and Carol yet to go wide. Feels like another flash in the pan like Steve Jobs

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I just don't see it. The 2008 financial crisis is a cottage industry now and this film didn't feel like it was saying anything particularly illuminating. I much preferred Spotlight

No offense, but I find this post a bit hilarious. How is The Big Short saying nothing particularly illuminating but Spotlight is? Literally everyone knows all about the Catholic molestation scandal, and they knew all about it well over a decade ago. On the other hand, I can assure you there are still plenty of the general public still very much in the dark on the '08 crisis. Just like the movie says in the beginning, they know enough sound bites to not sound like an idiot in a conversation, but most don't know the details. Most don't care quite frankly, or at least they think they don't. I feel like this film does a great job at making even those that think they don't care sit up and pay attention. 

• Like 3

Spotlight took an unexpected angle on the subject, of the journalists who uncovered the story. It could've easily been imagined as a lurid SVU style procedural but it takes a more even handed approach, and makes the audience understand the ethical quandaries they faced and how a scandal of that magnitude could go unnoticed for such a long period of time. I think generally I appreciated its understanding, humanitarian tone more than Big Short's cynicism that I found tedious

9 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

No duh. If I had my way Shaun the Sheep and The Good Dinosaur would be nominated for BP.

I really don't think this will even be in the conversation when all's said and done, especially with other big hitters like The Revenant and Carol yet to go wide. Feels like another flash in the pan like Steve Jobs

Neither of those are winning BP, Carol is losing momentum fast, and Inarritu won last year.  If you're talking about BP momentum, the Big Short has it.  You're BP winner will either be that or Spotlight, bank on it.

• Like 1

I don't think the Big Short is the winner, or at least it won't be come February, but I think it has solid positioning as top 3. So you can't count it out.

I would love the idea of Adam McKay winning Best Director. The speech would be phenomenal if he acknowledged his roots as director of Anchorman/Talladega Nights/Step Brothers.

• Like 2

Just now, tribefan695 said:

So many candidates more deserving than him...

Well I'm on the George Miller train officially. But like it or hate the Big Short, a lot of the Big Short's success critically can be owed to McKay. His unique stamp on it is worthy of praise.

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don't think the Big Short is the winner, or at least it won't be come February, but I think it has solid positioning as top 3. So you can't count it out.

I would love the idea of Adam McKay winning Best Director. The speech would be phenomenal if he acknowledged his roots as director of Anchorman/Talladega Nights/Step Brothers.

I am not even kidding but those movies had more than meets the eye definitely.

The way McKay is making fun of Americana is fairly unique.

He just took a subject that revolts him and ran with it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I am not even kidding but those movies had more than meets the eye definitely.

The way McKay is making fun of Americana is fairly unique.

He just took a subject that revolts him and ran with it.

I think Talladega Nights is straight up pretty brilliant with its take on NASCAR culture. I like McKay a lot, the only misstep he's had for me is Anchorman 2.

Oh and he s a metal head, I remember some mean Sepultura in Talladega & I heard The Big short is full on metal.

Bale, the Method actor that he is kept listening to Mastodon & Pantera on set to "get" his character.

The Other Guys credits was such a WTF moment, though, like wut ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

So many candidates more deserving than him...

Couldn't agree less. Aside from Miller, the rest of the candidates are extremely mundane this year. None of them did anything particularly interesting in directing. McKay threw all kinds of unrelated styles into a blender and somehow coerced them all into complimenting each other. He even figured out how to still inject his signature zany brand of comedy without it feeling a bit out of place. It was all kind of brilliant. Hell I'd be ready to give it to him just for the awesome "here's a trivial celebrity you likely care about to explain something you should care about but probably don't" scenes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Ryan Coogler, Denis Villeneuve, and Alex Garland are my more desirable and socially acceptable alternatives

Heh, I wouldn't mind those either, but I don't expect any of them to get nominated sadly.