kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: 47.5 M HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA II | 18.2 M THE INTERN | 14.0 M TMR: THE SCORCH TRIALS | 13.1 M EVEREST

It's hard to market Everest since there's no "money shot" for the third act Nature Beatdown (no avalanche, cliff collapse, etc). It's just a lot of wind and snow and people being cold.

It falls somewhere between atmospheric drama and adventure thriller, so not easy to sell to audiences.

I agree. That was the impression I got from the trailer and TV spots. They needed one money shot to sell it to the GA like a huge Avalanche or something. San Andreas understood that with the Tsunami approaching the Golden Gate Bridge scene featuring prominently in all trailers.

bye bye 200m for mi5

Yeah. 200M is dead thanks to the theater loss. Paramount have no upcoming movies to attach MI5 to in order to goose its take and get it past the 200M mark like Disney did with Cinderella.

Cinderella remains the only movie between 200M and 330M this year.

I agree. That was the impression I got from the trailer and TV spots. They needed one money shot to sell it to the GA like a huge Avalanche or something. San Andreas understood that with the Tsunami approaching the Golden Gate Bridge scene featuring prominently in all trailers.

Should have hired the Roland Emmerich marketing team

Edited by DAR

Great for Hotel. With the same IM as the first one it should clear 50 million OW. Just throwing it out there that this has been a hugely successful year for family movies- Pixar, Illumination, Spongebob, even the new Dreamworks all broke out. Bodes well for Peanuts and Dinosaur. 

I really had no idea who the demo for The Intern really was (seemed too young to play as old as the other Meyers stuff, too old to play young) but yeah that's a good opening day. 

Everest is hardly a bomb (55 mil means it'll clear its expenses easily) but clearly it was a see-in-IMAX-only kind of deal and there's enough adult fare out there to combat a film with a mixed-to-positive reception. It will die next weekend. 

Terrible hold for Black Mass but its IM last weekend already indicated it's not playing so well. Will barely top 60m, not a great result for a 53m budget.

Sicario is straight crushing it. 30k+ PTA for 60 theaters. Certainly enough momentum to combat The Martian. 

• Like 6