WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg31): The Martian 37 | HT2 20.3 | Pan 15.5 | Intern 8.66 | Sicario 7.35 | The Walk 3.65 | Steve Jobs 521k

Now see?? I didn't know that.. I thought it was in wide release this weekend.. Plus, didn't we have a Steve Jobs movie not too long ago with Kelso from That 70's Show as Steve Jobs and it didn't do well???

Yes. That one only made like $16 million in the U.S., but it was a low budget film.

This one goes wide on 9/23.

Pan could get to 20m off that OD since you can never rule out a huge sat increase for that kind of film, but even still it's a mini disaster of a performance. Even worse for it, if Goosebumps is a hit next weekend it could have an unusually bad multi for its genre since it will be going against two other well received family films. Normally 3x would be a safe bet regardless of WOM, but might only do like 2.7-2.8x with the competition. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Hotel Transylvania 2 only jumped 55% on OW so why would Pan double that?

And my post was more of a question.

You'll have to excuse me when it comes to box office, I'm rusty right now.  I haven't been paying attention to much lately.

The budget for Pan is 150 million?

HAHAHAHAHAHA....wtf are they doing releasing it in the second week of October?

It was originally going to go against Ant-Man and Minions' second week, I would have loved to see how that would have turned out.

• Like 2

It was originally scheduled for mid July but after the trailers failed to create much buzz they moved it away from the crowd

What will be Warner s 2016 biggest bomb blockbuster wise, the Tarzan movie with Stellan Saksgard s son & Margot Robbie or the Knight of the Round Table movie with MEGA MOVIE STAR Charlie Hunnam ?

Place your bets !

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

The original July release was actually worse though. Would've been going up against Minions and Ant Man for family choices (and Pixels to a lesser extent). Maybe they should've just stuck it in December despite all the competition it would have this Holiday too. At least holiday legs may have helped it a small bit. In hindsight though, it seems it was always doomed all around.

• Like 1

The original July release was actually worse though. Would've been going up against Minions and Ant Man for family choices (and Pixels to a lesser extent). Maybe they should've just stuck it in December despite all the competition it would have this Holiday too. At least holiday legs may have helped it a small bit. In hindsight though, it seems it was always doomed all around.

Maybe the problem is they made a Peter Pan movie and marketed it as a more dark film with very little star power.  At least with Spielberg's it looked like fun and it had about as all star a cast as you could for the 90's.  Williams, Roberts, Hoffman and even Bob Hoskins were pretty big stars back in 1991.

• Like 1

Man, thinking about it Pan really could get slaughtered in terms of its multi. HT2 is obviously a big hit with the family audience. Goosebumps is getting surprisingly good reviews. 2 weeks later is Peanuts. And 2 weeks after that is TGD. There's a chance it only makes 40-45m with that combo of poor reception and very strong competition. It may already be out of theaters by TGD's release. 

• Like 1