WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg31): The Martian 37 | HT2 20.3 | Pan 15.5 | Intern 8.66 | Sicario 7.35 | The Walk 3.65 | Steve Jobs 521k

Pan's music is terrific and one of my favourites of the year too. Everything about the film is great tbh.

I fell asleep for 10 mins near the end as I was tired, gonna watch the movie again at some point.

Edited by 99 Trees
  • Like 1

I totally spaced that Pan has UK previews this weekend.

Yep. And Transylvania is in its second week of previews... just bizarre. Which means HT2's opening weekend will be of 7 days, which is silly.

Pan's music is terrific and one of my favourites of the year too. Everything about the film is great tbh.

I fell asleep for 10 mins near the end as I was tired, gonna watch the movie again at some point.

Oh well, that explains it; the ending practically ruined the film for me

Oh well, that explains it; the ending practically ruined the film for me

What was wrong with it? I mean yeah, it was a bit big and loud, but it fitted with the character of Blackbeard, who just wants to put on a show.

Might want to put in spoilers btw.

Even the whitewashing?

yDn8Y0K.gif

Couldn't really care less, the movie has been altered so that the different factions of Neverland bear little resemblance to anyone from the real world. So no Red Indians.

What was wrong with it? I mean yeah, it was a bit big and loud, but it fitted with the character of Blackbeard, who just wants to put on a show.

Might want to put in spoilers btw.

Didn't really have an issue with the setup but

Instead of actually fighting the pirates, Peter just basically went Dragon Ball Z style and had beams of fairies take down everyone. Extremely disappointing that Hook or Tiger Lily ultimately did nothing to take the bad guys down. Same with Peter. Then after that, the fairies create a ghost of Peter's mom so Peter gets closure, but it was so damn cheesy I couldn't take it seriously.

Oh yeah, I hated the

mum

moment.

And yeah,

Tiger Lily and Hook are much weaker (physically) than in previous incarnations, but that's just something you gotta get over I think. The movie doesn't treat those characters the same way, due to being a prequel and exploring various characters' backgrounds.

Ehhhh

Just because they're weak doesn't mean the entire climax should matter on fairies. Cheap deus ex machina in a way

Near the beginning of the movie, Blackbeard tells Peter that he should realise he is in an everlasting dream and give in. Peter refuses to believe this, and thinks he's in the real world. So at the end, Peter is facing up to the truth and finally using his imagination to conquer his own fears in the dream that have manifested as Blackbeard. But rather than giving in as a slave, he accepts the truth positively and understands that he can visit his dream whenever he wants, and he can bring his friends with him. He doesn't have to be stuck in a horrible orphanage. He doesn't need to be sad and longing for his mother, because he comes to terms with the reality that she isn't there, but he is still loved.

Also, 

It makes sense for fairies to win the fight, as a core plot point is that Blackbeard is oppressing the fairies and stealing their produce.

Edited by 99 Trees

I don't disagree with your first point, but don't see what it has to do with the topic

It makes sense, but it makes the other three seem useless. I don't know, it just bothered me

Well,

I was just trying to say why I think it's okay for the fairies to have more importance than perhaps they otherwise should. But I get what you're saying.

• Like 1

Nothing really exciting this weekend really just The Martian doing solid numbers and HT2 having ridiculously good holds. Also Steve Jobs not doing too bad in it's limited start, I'm kinda curious to see how it plays going into it's full expansion in a few weeks.

RIP Universal. They had a good run but until the end of the year they might as well go on vacations. All I see are bombs.

Crimson Peak, Jem and the Holograms, By the Sea (this one has a 1 minute trailer and 0 marketing, one of biggest dump jobs I have ever seen), Krampus (low budget will keep it from being a flop but I doubt it goes much above the 20M mark DOM and will be a non-factor OS) and Sisters (I can see it doing a solid 50-60M which should be enough for profit, more than that I doubt it) are all flops waiting to happen.