Fancyarcher

Cruella | Disney | May 28 2021 | Disney+ premiere access hybrid release

15 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

I think everyone made this joke don’t give me credit for that one.

I mean, it makes sense to have something broadly along those lines as a story telling hook (I say broadly because that's not what actually happened in the movie, as Eric pointed out).  There's not many reasons that come to mind that make sense for someone to actually want to make a coat out of puppies later on in their life.  Not if one wants an even vaguely sympathetic protagonist at an earlier point in their life.

I think the only reason so many people made the joke was it was such an obvious hook that it was likely to seem lame and contrived in the actual movie.  That what they actually ended up doing wasn't lame or contrived (for many at least) just shows that execution rules all.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

I mean, it makes sense to have something broadly along those lines as a story telling hook (I say broadly because that's not what actually happened in the movie, as Eric pointed out).  There's not many reasons that come to mind that make sense for someone to actually want to make a coat out of puppies later on in their life.  Not if one wants an even vaguely sympathetic protagonist at an earlier point in their life.

I think the only reason so many people made the joke was it was such an obvious hook that it was likely to seem lame and contrived in the actual movie.  That what they actually ended up doing wasn't lame or contrived (for many at least) just shows that execution rules all.

What's funny about all this is that this Cruella...doesn't hate dogs? She has her own puppy throughout the movie, she takes care of a set of Dalmatians throughout the movie, she makes a Dalmatian fur coat out of artificial fur in order to spook Emma Thompson. The movie even ends with her giving away Pongo and Perdita to Roger and Anita. Even the whole "Because Dalmatians killed my mom" tidbit people were memeing up was completely taken out of context.

This isn't a dealbreaker by the way. Just about every 101 Dalmatians movie or cartoon show has its own weird continuity and you have to make Cruella De Vil somebody to root for in the movie somehow. Removing the "skinning puppies" elements, while still giving her a devilish side was probably the right call.

• Like 1