Fancyarcher

Cruella | Disney | May 28 2021 | Disney+ premiere access hybrid release

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Watched One Hundred and One Dalmatians;  First thing first, the animation is mighty impressive for 60s film even than 90s TLK, BaTB & Aladdin. Strong plot of parents finding their "dognapped" kids, with good humor. 

Surprised this isn't talked as high as the above 3. 8/10.

And I was totally oblivious to the fact of its big re-release success up until 1996 when it did $66M. It totally deserves. Now excited for Cruella. 

Old Disney movies age incredibly well in terms of animation. My kid thought the original Lady and The Tramp was created recently when she first saw it.

You can’t say the same for CG animated films. They age miserably. The first Shrek looks like a nightmare.

Edited by AJG

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

Old Disney movies age incredibly well in terms of animation. My kid thought the original Lady and The Tramp was created recently when she first saw it.

You can’t say the same for CG animated films. The age miserably. The first Shrek looks like a nightmare.

I think the modern CGI ones will age well. I mean just look at Frozen 2 or Raya, the animation can't get any better, right. Initial CGI were bad, not a fan of 90s style of animation either but 101 Dalmatians was surprisingly so good that it holds to date.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think the modern CGI ones will age well. I mean just look at Frozen 2 or Raya, the animation can't get any better, right. Initial CGI were bad, not a fan of 90s style of animation either but 101 Dalmatians was surprisingly so good that it holds to date.

They will age slower but they will eventually show their age. I thought the first Avengers was a good case for NOT shooting movies in New York, the effect held up for years, now the CG New York in the final sequence looks like a pre-rendered video game cutscene.

CG Animation may not age as fast as it did between 1998-2008 but it still ages over time.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AJG said:

You can’t say the same for CG animated films. They age miserably. The first Shrek looks like a nightmare.

Actually I can't really tell the difference between 60s animation and 90s animation except the 90s look cleaner and sharper. Overall the visual texture look almost the same until when Pixar-CG is introduced to 2010s

4 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

this got very great audience reactions from sotuh korea.

I loved it too. very fun.  

Is that any feature song? Korean has been very supportive of disney fairy tale, especially if they are female-centric. 

This was pretty bad. Did find some similarities to Joker too. The only thing I was thinking of for most of this movie was how Paul Walter Hauser (best part of this, alongside the costume design) went from giving one of the best and most underrated performances of the 2010s to starring in shit like this. Just depressing.

Also Gillespie thinks moving the camera around aimlessly means good cinematography. I got a bunch of headaches from the endless badly blocked long shots.

Enjoyed this.  I was entertained, and the costumes were super fun. Emma Thompson looked to be having the time of her life.  My daughter and her four friends LOVED it, though.  Loved it.  Daughter wants me to order it on Disney+ now so she can watch it again without leaving the house, though it was fun to be in the theater.  Crowd (such as it was with distancing and all) applauded at the end and seemed enthusiastic throughout.  Maybe we are all just ready to be back at theaters, but I did have quite a good time with this one.

• Like 1

Moderation

@Fullbuster has been threadbanned for a month for showing a spoiler.

We don't show material that wasn't revealed in a movie's marketing, especially when the movie has only been out for less than a day. Be respectful to your fellow BOT members and the filmmakers who work hard on these movies every day.

I feel whenever I have low expectations for any of these remakes they surprise me with this movie and Aladdin being a good example. This one was actually heaps of fun and had a voice unlike most of the remakes which are usually just blander versions of their animated counterparts. 

Obviously still pretty flawed and I still think they made Cruella a tad too sympathetic but Emma Stone did a good job along with ofc Emma Thompson.