kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I'm no pretensious moron and I like Black Swan. A ton of friends of mine aren't even that huge movie fans and get bored easily - they all at least liked, some LOVED Black Swan.

And just as many not pretensious morons enjoyed Requiem For A Dream too. So... yeah.

Yeahhhh you're pretentious

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Always love jessie coming to visit us from that unpretentious "real world" of his and letting us know what all the unpretentious people in it "actually" like and don't like

Damn straight

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Even Serena? ;)

that was straight to VOD with concurrent opening in only a handful of theaters.  I doubt it opened anywhere near @misafeco

I've never watched an Aronofsky film either, but I really want to see Jen's performance in this one.  I think it will be unlike any other she has done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Below the frog, a little bit on the right it look like there is square with there is a symbol, look like a Mahjong game piece a little bit.

Could all be to mess with people.

Always a possibility, but that's a lot of trouble to go to just to mess with people.  That's also a man's art, I'm not sure he'd appreciate  being just a marketing ploy.  But hey, lot's of free publicity for his work.

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Below the frog, a little bit on the right it look like there is square with there is a symbol, look like a Mahjong game piece a little bit.

Could all be to mess with people.

7 minutes ago, ChrisTelclear said:

Always a possibility, but that's a lot of trouble to go to just to mess with people.  That's also a man's art, I'm not sure he'd appreciate  being just a marketing ploy.  But hey, lot's of free publicity for his work.

Well, this IS the man who referred to Black Swan as a 'werewolf movie', which I guess if you really stretch things, you can KIND of see...  I think they can be 'true' Easter Eggs, and it can STILL be to mess with people.

Edited by trifle

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's the same budget Black Swan had, very nice. This will be an easy profit for Paramount.

Not necessarily, Jackie could not have got a better reception (and had somewhat of a franchise/brand for it) and didn't made much ww for Fox (with a bad one it would have flopped hard).

Those smaller budgeted original movie (outside a pre-formulated proven genre) are almost never easy profit.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not necessarily, Jackie could not have got a better reception (and had somewhat of a franchise/brand for it) and didn't made much ww for Fox (with a bad one it would have flopped hard).

Those smaller budgeted original movie (outside a pre-formulated proven genre) are almost never easy profit.

this has Jenifer lawrence

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You're comparing apples and oranges. Black Swan is the best comparison for mother! for several reasons:

1. It's from the same director and is said to be in the same vein as it

2. Aronofsky's last two films (Noah and Black Swan) were big hits

3. Jackie was a slow moving (though very unique) biopic that Fox Searchlight never bothered expanding wider

If House at the End of the Street can open to 12M, so can this.

• Like 1

Black Swan is one of the best movie of the 2000's with a nice high concept and visual hooks, sure if the movie is good it will be easy for it to turn a profit but the being good need to work.

That was from the already proven genre/formula too.

Jackie was a slow moving

This could be much slower and weirder.

LOL!  I love this discussion and love this budget!

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

That's less than half of JLaw's salary alone for Passengers :rofl: 

Yeah, she said she wanted to go back to indies and knew that would mean less money.  She probably has a piece of the back end.  She probably took Passengers in part to fund her for movies like this.

57 minutes ago, Barnack said:

54 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

this has Jenifer lawrence

I agree one hundred per cent.

Plus Aronofsky didn't direct Jackie, he just was a producer.  This is the first movie he directed since Noah, which, while controversial, still made over $300 M world wide.  On a significantly higher budget, though.

53 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

You're comparing apples and oranges. Black Swan is the best comparison for mother! for several reasons:

1. It's from the same director and is said to be in the same vein as it

2. Aronofsky's last two films (Noah and Black Swan) were big hits

3. Jackie was a slow moving (though very unique) biopic that Fox Searchlight never bothered expanding wider

I could be wrong, but as a Jennifer Lawrence starring horror movie by Aronofsky opening on Friday the 13th, I'm optimistically predicting more.

46 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Black Swan is one of the best movie of the 2000's with a nice high concept and visual hooks, sure if the movie is good it will be easy for it to turn a profit but the being good need to work.

That was from the already proven genre/formula too.

This could be much slower and weirder.

This is going to be extremely weird, count on it!

But yeah, it is going to be risky, because that is what Aronofsky does.  It will need to be good to be a hit, but I think with this budget it is pretty well guaranteed a profit.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

This, and a boring family drama about the little known (Outside of QVC) inventor of a mop opening to $17M.  This is probably a lock for a $10M opening based just on Aronofsky and JLaw fans.