Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

More Batman and More Joker.  Very smart marketing for WB.   This was the best trailer because it captured the scope of the movie best.     Also people need to stop with the "Oh DC isn't doing good".  Critically maybe not but DCEU is pacing WAY HEAD of Marvel finanically after 2 movies.   Stop comparing Marvel who are in the 13th film in that universe.    After 2 movies we are looking at 1.6+ Billion.   Marvel didn't even crack a Billion after "Iron Man and Hulk".   I think this could be a sleeper espeically now that we know Batman is playing a role and will be going face to face with the Joker which would be the first time both characters have met on screen since "The Dark Knight".  

• Like 1

Not even I can defend this post, you can't compare small movies like Thor, CA, Hulk with the two biggest heroes of planet, it's obvious that Batman/Superman would make more, they already have a HUGE fandom that was built during decades, unlike these small heroes that (basically) started from zero, and, actually, I'm not even sure if these movies are ahead in profits, despite making lower numbers, these movies also had way lower budgets than the ones of MOS or BVS

• Like 2

4 hours ago, filmscholar said:

More Batman and More Joker.  Very smart marketing for WB.   This was the best trailer because it captured the scope of the movie best.     Also people need to stop with the "Oh DC isn't doing good".  Critically maybe not but DCEU is pacing WAY HEAD of Marvel finanically after 2 movies.   Stop comparing Marvel who are in the 13th film in that universe.    After 2 movies we are looking at 1.6+ Billion.   Marvel didn't even crack a Billion after "Iron Man and Hulk".   I think this could be a sleeper espeically now that we know Batman is playing a role and will be going face to face with the Joker which would be the first time both characters have met on screen since "The Dark Knight".  

In what universe is DC Pacing better than Marvel financially? they have had two films and both were letdowns BO wise for WB.

Man of Steel I feel can be compared directly to IM, because they are both franchise starters, and IM made $318m/ MoS $292m. yes MoS Steel made more WW but it also cost $85m more to make. based on my (very rough) profit estimates  MoS did about $105m in profits. IM made around $235m in profits. with a much higher critic approval and audience rating too. In fact I think that if MoS had performed better and done a very nice $325m+ and 750m+ WW like WB were hoping, with better reception, they would have gone right ahead with a MoS2.  BvS was the answer to counter MoS's middling reception, and BO take, that although was profitable, was still slightly below BO expectations. 

I really feel like it is perfectly reasonable to compare BvS to The Avengers, they are both the first films in the series with major crossover characters, and they have the Trinity (bats/Sups/WW). there is really no excuse for this film not hitting $1b ww. with arguably the three most well known Superheroes of all time in a film together for the first time in history. love BvS or hate it (or MoS for that matter). you can't deny that it has had a diffusive audience reception, and the general woM has hurt it's legs a lot. 

As for its profits it will make maybe $200-$300m, profit. good right? well Avengers has done about $970m profits. in fact a $300m profit margin (which is being optimistic at this point) is about the same as WS had.

The DCEU is in trouble, I'm begging and hoping Suicide Squad is good, becuase it looks great and I trust David Ayer 10x more than Zack Synder, but if that fails and WW fails then WB/DC is in serious trouble and will not last long after JL. if JL isn't any better recieved than bvS, I honestly I'm not even sure it will make profit. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

@Kalo how did MOS cost $85 mil more than IM, make more WW, and make $130 mil less profits?

my data came from BOM

MOS Budget: $225m WW gross: $668m the profit margin I used, which isn't exact and more a knowledgeable guess that films need to gross roughly 2.5x times their budget to break even: MOS Breakeven point: $562.5m -$668m = $105.5m profits

Iron Man's Budget: $140m. WW gross: $585.2m Break Even Point (2.5x budget): $350m - $585.2m = $235.2m profits. sure I don't know all variables, but pretty much anyway you look at it Iron Man was more profitable. in fact probably even more so, becuase I'm almost certain Man of Steel had a larger marketing campaign. 

Edited by Kalo

On April 5, 2016 at 6:06 AM, grey ghost said:

Critics gave favorable reviews to pretentious Batman movies that looked like court dramas. What a surprise.

Still only one of them got into the 90's. :sadben:

Ledger's oscar worthy performance is what elevates TDK. Take him out of the movie and you're looking at 86% on RT at best.

IF Avengers was not first team up superhero movie it be mid 80s. Plus RDJ evalates his movies.  

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

IF Avengers was not first team up superhero movie it be mid 80s. Plus RDJ evalates his movies.  

Exactly, he likes to say that Ledger 'saved' TDK, when, actually, the only reason why Avengers was so 'acclaimed' was because of the novelty factor, take it off and you would have the same score of Ultron

14 hours ago, Kalo said:

my data came from BOM

MOS Budget: $225m WW gross: $668m the profit margin I used, which isn't exact and more a knowledgeable guess that films need to gross roughly 2.5x times their budget to break even: MOS Breakeven point: $562.5m -$668m = $105.5m profits

Iron Man's Budget: $140m. WW gross: $585.2m Break Even Point (2.5x budget): $350m - $585.2m = $235.2m profits. sure I don't know all variables, but pretty much anyway you look at it Iron Man was more profitable. in fact probably even more so, becuase I'm almost certain Man of Steel had a larger marketing campaign. 

MOS had $42.7M in profits:

http://deadline.com/2014/03/iron-man-3-gravity-man-of-steel-profit-most-profitable-movies-2013-701662/

• Community Manager

Hopefully this will actually encourage people to use this thread.

You know why Marvel > DC? Because when Thor/Iron Man/Captain America fought in the Avengers, nobody became best friends because their mothers shared names. None of that "Martha!!!!" nonesense. :stirthepot:

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Hopefully this will actually encourage people to use this thread.

You know why Marvel > DC? Because when Thor/Iron Man/Captain America fought in the Avengers, nobody became best friends because their mothers shared names. None of that "Martha!!!!" nonesense. :stirthepot:

Nobody in the Avengers is friend's. They literally all hate each other.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Nobody in the Avengers is friend's. They literally all hate each other.

You know what? When Bucky and Cap met in TWS, and Cap realized it was Bucky in that final fight, he did his best tor reach his best friend....and he did it but not by yelling his mother's name but by refusing to become his enemy. He's with Bucky till the end of the line. 'Twas beautiful, it worked.

• Like 9

Just now, Water Bottle said:

You know what? When Bucky and Cap met in TWS, and Cap realized it was Bucky in that final fight, he did his best tor reach his best friend....and he did it but not by yelling his mother's name but by refusing to become his enemy. He's with Bucky till the end of the line. 'Twas beautiful, it worked.

In concept, yes. In actuality, no. :)

• Like 2