Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

One of them will move. There's no way they keep the 2 most anticipated movies of the year so close to each other. SW has the advantage now, but who knows how episode 8 and Han Solo will turn out?

I'll believe a SW movie has serious competition from another film when I see it happen.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If Marvel makes a new Captain America movie but this time without ScarJo or any other popular Marvel hero to carry it, it won't even reach Ant-Man numbers. The character is just uninteresting and Chris Evans can't act.

That's a bit harsh - Evans can be good given the right material. The Marvel cast member most deserving of derision is the Mighty Bore, Chris Hemsworth.

Edited by Fielding

16 hours ago, Cochofles said:

They find them at the local Director Dollar Store, where they can buy cheap, not-too-durable, utterly forgettable items.

I hate to buy into fanboy dick wars, buuuuuuuuut those dollar store directors are still more reliable than Zack Snyder (.........well, sometimes they are, other times maybe not so much) :jeb!: I understand making fun of Futurist, but I just disagree with what you said.

Also, for the record, Chris Evans is no Marlon Brando, but just out of curiosity, are you pretending that Henry Cavill is a much better actor than him? Cause that notion is hilarious too. (Not that either is necessarily bad, though, they're not, but c'mon now)

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

Oooohh, look at this, the DCEU fanboys are triggered. In other news, water is wet.

It's fun watching the children bicker when your franchise is James Cameron. My film made more chump change than yours!

Real moneys requires talent.

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I hate to buy into fanboy dick wars...

Then you are in the wrong thread... :D

Also, for the record, Chris Evans is no Marlon Brando, but just out of curiosity, are you pretending that Henry Cavill is a much better actor than him? Cause that notion is hilarious too. (Not that either is necessarily bad, though, they're not, but c'mon now)

Nah... I know that Cavill is just as monotone as Evans.

It's just that the narrative that some MCU fans have concocted around their trinity of Chrises is hilarious ("The Chrises are excellent actors, y'all!").

Nobody who has played a superhero, male or female, to this day deserves any Oscar attention, not in the DCEU or the MCU.

Nobody. 

And sorry, but Evans is just the male version of Jessica Alba.

Gorgeous to look at but dead behind the eyes and unable to convey even the most rudimentary of emotions.

In my opinion, of course... :D 

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

Then you are in the wrong thread... :D

Nah... I know that Cavill is just as monotone as Evans.

It's just that the narrative that some MCU fans have concocted around their trinity of Chrises is hilarious ("The Chrises are excellent actors, y'all!").

Nobody who has played a superhero, male or female, to this day deserves any Oscar attention, not in the DCEU or the MCU.

Nobody. 

And sorry, but Evans is just the male version of Jessica Alba.

Gorgeous to look at but dead behind the eyes and unable to convey even the most rudimentary of emotions.

In my opinion, of course... :D 

I know I am, but I can't help myself cause I'm a masochist, I guess :)

I find Evans a suitable enough actor for the role he plays, just like I find Cavill suitable enough for Superman. Their relative monotony-based cool demeanor actually plays well into Steve Rogers and Clark Kent, when you think about it. Makes them more likeable. And yeah, I agree, the three of those Chris'es aren't amazing, but I do think Hemsworth is a very good actor. I'm not talking about what he does as Thor, I'm talking as a whole - he's got a lot of acting chops. And Pratt is pretty good too, even if he struggles to leave that Star-Lord comfort zone of just playing himself, but he's got great charisma. Though Pine is probably a better actor than all of them, all things considered.

As far as Oscar attention for MCU or DCEU, I see where you're coming from, but I would surely throw Robert Downey Jr. in Iron Man 1 to the conversation. I wouldn't say that's a better performance than what he did in Tropic Thunder the same year, but it's damn close. Not saying Oscar win, but nomination would be okay. I also think Gal Gadot and Chris Pine are worthy of noms for what they did in Wonder Woman. And if voice acting was ever recognized, Bradley Cooper in GOTG1 deserves it. But again, that's all imo :)

58 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

This years IMDB ratings

8.2 Logan

7.9 Guardians 2

7.9 Homecoming

7.7 Wonder Woman

So far Wonder Woman is the worst received CBM of the year :ph34r:

Hide contents

Am I doing this right? This is franchise wars.

Which one of those was the highest domestic grosser, the only 2017 CBM to become an actual pop culture phenom beyond mere box office performance and the CBM to get the best WOM of the year/multiplier of the year/legs of the year/best legs for a CBM since God Knows When?

Logan: 88/226

GOTGV2 -146/389

SM:H -117/330

WW 103/411

Exactly.

Not bad for "the worst received CBM of the year" :ph34r:

Diana5.png

Edited by Cochofles
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Which one of those was the highest domestic grosser, the only 2017 CBM to become an actual pop culture phenom beyond mere box office performance and the CBM to get the best WOM of the year/multiplier of the year/legs of the year/best legs for a CBM since God Knows When?

GOTGV2 -146/389

WW 103/411

Exactly.

Not bad for "the worst received CBM of the year" :ph34r:

Would of opened to 130m+ if DC had shat the bed three previous films. And would of finished 20-30m less with stronger competition in summer :ph34r:

Spoiler

I was trying to bait you most of all Cocho, lol

Edited by eXtacy

2 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Would of opened to 130m+ if DC had shat the bed three previous films. And would of finished 20-30m less with stronger competition in summer :ph34r:

Coulda woulda shoulda...and yet...it didn't. :D 

Suck it, Marvelfanatic. :rofl:

Edited by Cochofles

24 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

GOTGV2 -146/389

WW 103/411

Exactly.

The best received CBM of the year :ph34r:

To be honest, WW, as a movie, was not much better than those other movies, except for GOTGV2 (which was still quite good). Ares was equally mediocre as Marvel's villains and those two minor villains were just laughable, like something out of a cartoon. However, I do think it deserved its success, just for being bold and going against the odds, it attracted many people that weren't into CBMs to see it because they finally felt represented in that area. I'm proud that it managed to overcome all those negative comments it received before it came out because its success sends hope that we'll see more female-lead CBMs. My personal hope is a Black Widow movie, ScarJo deserves it.

I find Evans a suitable enough actor for the role he plays, just like I find Cavill suitable enough for Superman. Their relative monotony-based cool demeanor actually plays well into Steve Rogers and Clark Kent, when you think about it. Makes them more likeable. 

That's an excellent point.   Playing Rodgers or Kent requires a certain kind of acting that might be mistaken for "bland acting" by some people.   If you hire someone to play Reed Richards like he is in the comic, he's going to look "bland" too.....that's because Reed Richards IS bland.   Also, Cavill had to follow the script that required him to be mopey as well....not really his fault.

I think Evans has done an excellent job with Rogers.   I thought it was the toughest Marvel character to cast personally.   He has to be fairly young...but still have a leadership quality that would make me believe Thor and Iron Man would follow him.   Evans nailed it.    We might find out just how hard it is to play Steve Rodgers when they recast Evans eventually.    RDJ gets a lot of praise...but frankly Tony Stark the the flashiest role you can get in Marvel and it's easier to look like you are "acting" in that part.   I'm not discounting RDJ's winning personality though.

2 hours ago, eXtacy said:

This years IMDB ratings

8.2 Logan

7.9 Guardians 2

7.9 Homecoming

7.7 Wonder Woman

So far Wonder Woman is the worst received CBM of the year :ph34r:

It's good to throw out these alleged measurements of "quality in art" on occasion so we can see the flaw in the idea that it is possible to determine it.

Any measurement people use, just cite an example they don't agree with and they suddenly lose enthusiasm for that measurement.   I see @Cochofles came back with box office.   That one is always easy to kill.   Just put up the list of top grossing movies for any year and claim it lines up perfectly in order of "quality".   Wonder Woman must be the 2nd best movie of the year so far, right?   Beauty and the Beast is obviously the better movie according to the domestic box office.   And WW drops further down the list if you use the whole planet...3rd best CB movie of the year so far. :D 

• Like 2

Also related to one of the "fan war" claims.   Was watching some Game of Thrones behind the scenes stuff and got to thinking about how so many directors have to come in and make everything fit together in one story and one tone.

Now THAT'S a case where a director is not allowed any personal "vision".  (thank god)  Marvel directors get a lot more freedom than that....and frankly I think Game of Thrones is superior to any CB movies so I don't see the importance of a directors's "vision".   Feels like some hipster idea where the director is seen as an all powerful entity who writes the movie too.     Just do your job...direct the movie from the script the studio wants to base the movie on.

7 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I hate to buy into fanboy dick wars, buuuuuuuuut those dollar store directors are still more reliable than Zack Snyder (.........well, sometimes they are, other times maybe not so much) :jeb!: I understand making fun of Futurist, but I just disagree with what you said.

I would say Henry's version of Superman is very interesting and nuanced, but that's always controversial so let's not get into that, but he was fun in The Man from Uncle and got great reviews for that movie. Chris Evans never did anything remarkable, and it wasn't for lack of opportunities.