WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg44): Spectre 73 | Peanuts 45 | Martian 9.3 | Goosebumps 6.9 | Spies 6.09 | Important forum announcement in first post.

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:
  Reveal hidden contents

its not the playability as much why the hell drag the other villains and their movies down to just being SPECTRE's little henchmen?

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

The characters in YA films are typically teens. Kids start reading them at 14. College kids who spend too much time in the YA section of the library are probably still watch the Nickelodeon channel.

Yeah, I remember being in college in the YA section and then realizing none of the books (with a couple exceptions) appealed to me. I also realized upon trying to read one that I found them very...basic. Not say that they are bad, before anyone gets defensive, but basic.

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

When I was in college Twilight and Hunger Games were just as much the rage as they were in high schools

As I said, there are a couple exceptions and the Hunger Games trilogy was pretty much it.

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Ermm... I think you may be a little out of touch with reality.

I know your in high school but grey ghost is right. At least with books, you should be outgrowing YA in college just like you should be outgrowing Nickelodeon after middle school.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Yeah, I remember being in college in the YA section and then realizing none of the books (with a couple exceptions) appealed to me. I also realized upon trying to read one that I found them very...basic. Not say that they are bad, before anyone gets defensive, but basic.

As I said, there are a couple exceptions and the Hunger Games trilogy was pretty much it.

I know your in high school but grey ghost is right. At least with books, you should be outgrowing YA in college just like you should be outgrowing Nickelodeon after middle school.

I'd have to emphatically disagree.

There's a lot of value in YA as a literature group, and it's not like the themes tackled are less mature than what you'd see in other genres. They may be a bit less complex in terms of language, but even that's not a given. I've read plenty of low-grade sci-fi that's for adults that doesn't hold a candle to a bulk of the YA I've read in terms of language craft.

• Like 3

• Community Manager
Just now, damienroc said:

I'd have to emphatically disagree.

There's a lot of value in YA as a literature group, and it's not like the themes tackled are less mature than what you'd see in other genres. They may be a bit less complex in terms of language, but even that's not a given. I've read plenty of low-grade sci-fi that's for adults that doesn't hold a candle to a bulk of the YA I've read in terms of language craft.

I didn't say they didn't have value or that they weren't well written. I really wasn't interested though in reading stories about teenagers anymore because I wasn't one anymore. I didn't even mean "basic" in terms of language craft but generally in terms of how deep it digs into it's characters/themes/plot. 

• Like 4

Yeah Spectre was a C+ movie.

Nobody's got much enthusiasm in this one. The opening sequence has a nifty one take, there's a cool train scene, the plot is pretty poor, steely reserved Craig is solid but his worst performance to date in the series.

Didn't even get the Star Wars trailer.

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I didn't say they didn't have value or that they weren't well written. I really wasn't interested though in reading stories about teenagers anymore because I wasn't one anymore. I didn't even mean "basic" in terms of language craft but generally in terms of how deep it digs into it's characters/themes/plot. 

Yeah, not generally any more basic than most stuff for adults. I mean, The Hunger Games is going deep into stuff like how we consume media as well as how soldiers are treated after combat (PTSD and all) in addition to a whole heap of other things.

If the characters don't interest you, that's cool, though. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, damienroc said:

Yeah, not generally any more basic than most stuff for adults. I mean, The Hunger Games is going deep into stuff like how we consume media as well as how soldiers are treated after combat (PTSD and all) in addition to a whole heap of other things.

If the characters don't interest you, that's cool, though. 

You are confusing having themes with digging deep. Sure the Hunger Games has themes and it pretty much shouts it throughout the whole book series. Harry Potter is a far better example at having subtle themes. Then again I still love Harry Potter. I wouldn't take my comments and think I apply them universally.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

You are confusing having themes with digging deep. Sure the Hunger Games has themes and it pretty much shouts it throughout the whole book series. Harry Potter is a far better example at having subtle themes. Then again I still love Harry Potter. I wouldn't take my comments and think I apply them universally.

Even so, its hardly fair to compare two of the very best YA (Harry Potter really isn't, but close enough) with the general population of adult novels. Do the Hunger Games books have depth and weighty themes? Yes, absolutely. Do they address those themes better than a mediocre, generic "adult" sci fi book? Absolutely. Do they address those themes as well as a great adult novel? No, they don't.

• Like 1

Again, missed out on Peanuts tonight. But I did see Sicario. Extremely slow, but otherwise, if you asked me to find a problem with that movie (ie plot hole, bad performance, unnecessary scenes etc) it would be really hard for me to do. Granted, there were a few things that could have been improved, but nothing wrong either.

• Like 3

And if anyone was curious, here's how my theatre's been doing (again, I'm always talking about the equivilant of something. For example, I found back when The Intern came out that if you take the number of tickets sold on its OW and compare it to what it made domestically, you can take that ratio and apply it to most movies over the past year and you'll get pretty darn close to the domestic numbers. That's why I say "this movie made the equivalent of $10M)

Spectre did 8.1M in previews, and $22.4M on Friday, so $30.5M opening day including thursday. Peanuts started slow ($7.9M OD) but destroyed matinees today. I wasn't around to see the evening numbers, but Peanuts made $14.2M from matinees alone, so should be close to 21-22M for the entire day. Spectre did $12M for matinees and should be around $26M for the full day including evening and late night shows.

Sicario made $3.6M yesterday, and will do around $4.5M today (it also did have one of its showings canceled in the matinee because the theatre was occupied for a Benedict Cumberbatch Hamlet presentation which did extremely well). And Bridge of Spies was at $3.2M yesterday and should do around $5-6M today.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Again, missed out on Peanuts tonight. But I did see Sicario. Extremely slow, but otherwise, if you asked me to find a problem with that movie (ie plot hole, bad performance, unnecessary scenes etc) it would be really hard for me to do. Granted, there were a few things that could have been improved, but nothing wrong either.

Interesting you thought Sicario so slow. I wouldn't describe it that way but I did think there was a weird lack of force with Blunt's character. She was constantly stomping around looking exasperated, not able to figure out who was pulling what string. I don't think the movie can be described as slow -- there was a good amount of action with the right amount of building tension in-between. But her character arc did have a certain stuntedness that frustrated me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tau Ceti said:

Interesting you thought Sicario so slow. I wouldn't describe it that way but I did think there was a weird lack of force with Blunt's character. She was constantly stomping around looking exasperated, not able to figure out who was pulling what string. I don't think the movie can be described as slow -- there was a good amount of action with the right amount of building tension in-between. But her character arc did have a certain stuntedness that frustrated me.

I guess maybe another problem I had was that other than Del Toro, I didn't connect with a whole lot of the characters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I guess maybe another problem I had was that other than Del Toro, I didn't connect with a whole lot of the characters.

Brolin was the weakest link for me. He was chomping on gum looking pleased with himself the whole time. Annoying.

Del Toro was superb. Should at least be in conversation for a supporting nom. I worry that he may be pigeonholing himself though.

• Like 1