grim22

The Little Prince | Netflix bought the rights, it will be released on the streaming service

It's especially weird because the movie isn't too arty or slow or adult - sure, it's not a goofy team park ride filled with easy jokes, but it's not in any way more difficult than your average Pixar or Laika movie. I have no idea why Paramount or anyone else wouldn't give it some decent promotion and a wide release. 

Will BO grosses be reported since Canada is always counted in the American box office?

And now there isn't an American box office to speak of.

Having said that, Paramount are a fucked up studio anyway. They remade Ben Hur and it looks like a tragic waste of money. 

When we got ready to close this topic ...:(

The film's director posts a cryptic text on his twitter. Could someone tell me if this is possible?:o

"Netflix continues its movie theater invasion with a new film from Bob Odenkirk" https://twitter.com/happyproduct

Is it possible for Netflix to the release of a film both in theaters and in streaming?:mellow:

11 minutes ago, Gabriel Sales said:

Is it possible for Netflix to the release of a film both in theaters and in streaming?:mellow:

That's what Beasts of No Nation did.

On another note, I find it hilarious that Paramount gave Anomalisa all of the theaters that Little Prince would have had this weekend. They're probably like "hey it's animated too so it should get the same audience!"

Edited by department store basement

On 18/03/2016 at 0:14 AM, WrathOfHan said:

Big get for Netflix. They have no trouble getting their Documentaries nominated at the Oscars so this shouldn't have much trouble either.

Not sure about that, Beasts of No Nation was snubbed mainly because it was a Netflix production. Though this is an animated movie, so who knows if it'll pique the Academy's interest.

2 minutes ago, Gamb1993 said:

Not sure about that, Beasts of No Nation was snubbed mainly because it was a Netflix production. Though this is an animated movie, so who knows if it'll pique the Academy's interest.

It hurts it winning an Oscar  (as does it not being by Disney or Pixar) but the Animated branch votes for the nominees and they watch all the submitted movies since there aren't that many in comparison.  It's why there is almost at least one smaller or limited release Animated film nominated.  

I'm giving as closed this topic!

But before I will make an outburst against the American film market ...

First believe that "The Little Prince" deserved a major release in the United States, it is the non-American animated film most successful of all the times overseas, grossing more than 100 million around the world, not to have been released in key markets such as Spain, the UK and Australia. I'm sure the film crew much longed for a nomination for the Oscar.

What is clear in American society is protectionism! What is well accepted abroad most often is ignored in the US, let us take two examples: Formula 1 and Football (ridiculously called soccer), both are indisputable successes in almost every country in the world, the US is looked down upon. It could not be different in the cinema (box office), foreign films of success are almost always ignored.

That is why I consider it very important to the rise of the Chinese market, most importantly the annual limit of 34 movies. The Chinese market is a second option (soon to be the first) for independent producers seeking a place in the sun.

It's been really cool experience to change the world scene at the box office, no later than four years the American market will be protagonist being replaced by Chinese.

Returning to the topic theme (The Little Prince), here are some interesting figures of the film:

BOX OFFICE:

CHINA: $ 24 million - grossed more than Inside Out and Hotel Transylvania 2. 

FRANCE: $ 11.6 million - grossed equal to The LEGO Movie and more than Big Hero 6 and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 1 and 2.

ITALY: $ 10.1 million - grossed more than The LEGO Movie, The Good Dinosaur and very close to Zootopia.

BRAZIL: $ 7.3 million - grossed more than  Home (Dreamworks) , The LEGO Movie and  Big Hero 6.

MEXICO: $ 6.1 million - grossed more than  Planes: Fire & Rescue.

JAPAN: $ 5 million - grossed more than The LEGO Movie.

SOUTH KOREA: $ 3.5 million - grossed more than The LEGO Movie and Home (Dreamworks).

ARGENTINA: $ 1.8 million - grossed more than Home (Dreamworks) and Big Hero 6.

Non-American animated film grossing of all time.

CRITICAL:

- Enshrined in the Cesar Award (French Oscar) for best animated film.

- 94% Fresh no Rotten Tomatoes (33 critics)

Around the world, public success and critical!

In the US, ignored!  

Edited by Gabriel Sales
  • Like 1

Eh, to my best knowledge, The Little Prince has only been released in one English language country to date, and that was Canada, and it didn't do any real business there. Most Foreign animated films don't tend to make much money anywhere outside of their own own country anyway. The Little Prince is actually an exception, and even then it was made in English.

It's pretty obvious that Paramount dumped this film out of desperation, not because of the state of the country or anything like that.

It could have done fine business if they had given it a proper release, but they didn't decide to do that after Zootopia broke out.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

26 minutes ago, Gabriel Sales said:

I would love to know where you got the numbers in Canada ?!

I didn't. There's no numbers to go by, since Canada is usually lumped with the U.S., and with few exceptions, the box office tends to be the same for both places.

The Little Prince didn't play in enough Canada theaters, that it would have made much of an impact anyway.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

13 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I didn't. There's no numbers to go by, since Canada is usually lumped with the U.S., and with few exceptions, the box office tends to be the same for both plays.

The Little Prince didn't play in enough Canada theaters, that it would have made much of an impact anyway.

The closest I came from Canada numbers was this:

Estimated Friday-Sunday ticket sales for French- and English-language films in Quebec, according to Cinéac. 

1. Deadpool $583,243 U.S. ($798,081 Cdn)
2. Kung Fu Panda 3 $160,268 ($219,237)
3. How to Be Single / Célibataire: Mode d’emploi $87,414 ($119,613)
4. Le Petit Prince / Le Petit Prince $86,647 ($118,564)
5. Race $85,191 ($116,572)
6. The Revenant / Le Revenant $69,376 ($94,931)
7. Belle et Sébastien 2, l’aventure continue $62,004 ($84,819)
8. The Choice / Un choix $45,013 ($61,613)
9. Zoolander 2 $42,850 ($58,617)
10. Star Wars: The Force Awakens / Star Wars: Le réveil de la force $40,358 ($55,241)

http://montrealgazette.com/storyline/box-office-quebec-and-beyond-deadpool-is-no-1-partout-but-belle-et-sebastien-2-nuzzles-in-at-no-7-in-quebec

Are numbers of the second week only from Quebec, proportionately Little Prince does not seem to be hurting. 

Edited by Gabriel Sales