Neo

Snowpiercer | Now in Theaters and VOD

I definitely need to watch this again.  I liked it but was not blown away. 

But the classroom scene was amazeballs.

You cant take the movie literally. To me there was nothing to blow me away technically but it made think deeply into issues of loyalty, friendship, influence,trust survival, beliefs and a host of other ideologies and mores ingrained in us individuals. What keeps the "wheels of society turning?" Exploring all of those themes for myself and drawing parallels is what I found compelling.

• Like 6

Creator's Project: We Talked To Snowpiercer's Production Designer About Building A World Inside A Train

By Moze Halperin

— Aug 7 2014

Bong Joon Ho’s Snowpiercer is the rare sort of film whose physical setting is its story; it begins and ends with a futuristic train perpetually circling a post-apocalyptic globe. Through third person limited storytelling, we are introduced into the spectacle of a working-class revolution attempting to overtake the train’s physical and social barriers— as our heroes surge ever closer towards the front of the train, the desolation experienced by those in the back gives way to the ostentatiousness of the increasingly higher classes towards the front. For the audience, who cannot help but feel exhausted by the severed limbs, wan faces, and cockroach jello feasts of the proletariat, this comes as a breath of freshly perfumed air, albeit one that we breathe with the guilty notion that we’re falling into the very trap that led to the train's staggering social-stratification. Even at it's most tawdry, this seduction hints at the easy corruptibility of the senses when faced with beauty.

There’s an ugly part of us that lusts for the front of the train. Putting social structures of past societies on display through its design, Snowpiercer probes the possibility of imagining an egalitarian society; does the future belong to the people, or will it evade us if we can’t anchor it down it with cash? Its visual design is more than mere aesthetics— it is the core of the film’s symbolic life. We interviewed Ondrej Nekvasil, Snowpiercer’s production designer, on the process of conceptualizing and realizing the allegorical look and feel of a film that has been called "unforgettable" by the LA Times:

Rest of in depth interview at link:

http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/we-talked-to-snowpiercers-production-designer-about-building-a-world-inside-a-train

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 5

Set design and production value were absolutely marvelous and a feat to behold. Never gonna happen but it deserves an Oscar nod for the creativity displayed through the amount of diverse atmospheres and world-building inside a self-contained and closed space.

• Like 7

Ugh, while it's doing okay with the distribution it's received, I'm so disgusted with TWC for how they handled the whole thing. This movie could've likely done $40-50million if handled correctly. 

The Weinsteins are such fuckheads. 

• Like 5

Ugh, while it's doing okay with the distribution it's received, I'm so disgusted with TWC for how they handled the whole thing. This movie could've likely done $40-50million if handled correctly. 

The Weinsteins are such fuckheads. 

How can you say that when they've had such success with choosing wide releases this year with Vampire Diaries and Sin City 2!  They know what they're doing! 

Um , where is the sarcasm emoticon?

• Like 2

moar from IW on topic of trashing Harvey (which i 100% approve)

VOD Cannibalizing The Arthouse
The last few years have seen day-and-date releases for indies become virtually industry standard. Outside of the biggest arthouse pictures, the vast majority of smaller movies will now land on iTunes and VOD systems simultaneously to, or even before, their theatrical releases. This year, it’s been trumpeted more than ever, with “Snowpiercer” hitting homes only a few weeks after going theatrical, and making similar numbers on VOD as it did in cinemas. There’s little doubt that for the right moviethe kind of star-laden, middlingly-reviewed indie that are ten-a-penny at TIFF or Sundance, but have little hope of catching fire on their owna simultaneous VOD can lead to more money being made, saving cash on marketing, and face at the box office. But did “Snowpiercer” really make more money with its quote-unquote revolutionary release than it would have by going wider (as was Harvey Weinstein’s plan was initially, before he got pissy about not getting to recut the film)? It’s worth noting that of the top ten indie grossers of the year (“Grand Budapest Hotel,” “Chef,” “Boyhood,” “Begin Again,” “America,” “A Most Wanted Man,” “Belle,” “Bad Words,” “Magic In The Moonlight” and “The Railway Man”), none got simultaneous VOD releases, and will probably still make a bundle when they reach home video. Whereas a VOD picture like “The Sacrament” made literally $10,000 in theaters. We’re picking and choosing examples slightly, but we do wonder if distributors are sometimes cutting off their nose to spite their face in some of these cases.
Edited by Tauriel

In the U.S.

October 21st on DVD and Blu-ray from Anchor Bay Studios

Both the Blu-Ray and DVD will include the following special features:

[*]Critics’ Commentary hosted by Scott Weinberg [*]The Birth of Snowpiercer [*]The Characters [*]Animated Prologue [*]Concept Art Galleries [*]Chris Evans & Tilda Swinton on Snowpiercer [*]The Train Brought to Life: Behind the Scenes of a Special Screening [*]Transperceneige: From the Blank Page to the Black Screen

Really would have liked an in depth interview with Bong or better a commentary even if it would require subtitles.

Edited by TalismanRing

How can you say that when they've had such success with choosing wide releases this year with Vampire Diaries and Sin City 2!  They know what they're doing! 

Um , where is the sarcasm emoticon?

I suspect this year to be the beginning of the end of Weinstein..a giant flop after a giant flop after another..with no franchises or any good marketing plan..all their wide releases pulled pathetic numbers this year..maybe the Imitation Game and Big Eyes will do them good though..we'll see

• Like 2

I suspect this year to be the beginning of the end of Weinstein..a giant flop after a giant flop after another..with no franchises or any good marketing plan..all their wide releases pulled pathetic numbers this year..maybe the Imitation Game and Big Eyes will do them good though..we'll see

...but SNOWPIERCER isn't a flop.

• Like 1