WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

5 minutes ago, water said:

people literally could not care less about that. mj1 and mj2 are still trying to be meaningful at least, most unsplit movies that come out every year are much more of a cash grab and either way people don't care anyway. there are other reasons it dropped, namely mj1 and mj2 don't have the insanely intriguing aspect that was the games. the fact that 3 out of every 4 people who watched thg and cf are sticking with mj1 and mj2 is pretty good imo

but MJ2 does have the games,

that is what the trailers told me

• Like 1

This is just sad and unprecedented for a franchise like this to start so strong and end with such a whimper at the BO. LG really screwed up with the handling of the two films, primarily the handling of the first part which I think is where most of the damage was done. But then again what can be expected these days from a  studio that thinks it's a good idea to spend a couple hundred mil on a film like Gods of Egypt? They have clearly had NO CLUE how to handle being a big studio player.  Before THG/CF made them blow up they were actually decent at knowing what kind of films to make and how to market them (THG/CF being proof of that). And yes their decision to split the book I think turned a ton of people off, even the fans. It worked out way better than I ever thought it would quality-wise, but I don't think that matters so much because people just weren't ever on board with the idea. Still I can't believe this one may have to claw and scratch its way to a 250m finish. Dammit. :(

• Like 2

This is paramount information so I ll put it there.

Guys, if you re in Prague.

Make your move NOW.

Kate Beckinsale is shooting Underworld while her husband (Len Wiseman, director of Die Hard 4 & Underworld 1&2) is fucking some model in LA.

They are divorcing.

• Like 1

The $16 million preview number is definitely underwhelming. In addition to the fact that it had IMAX screenings that Part 1 didn't have, I'm guessing that the grosses for Wednesday double feature - which had a ticket price in the ballpark of $25, mind you - were also rolled in, so bowing below Part 1's $17 million preview gross (not to mention the very first film's $19.7 million midnight opening) is not exactly encouraging. I can't say it's unexpected, though; buzz has been quiet for such a big event film, and even the IMAX audience that I saw it with at 7:00 last night - which filled only about 75% of the auditorium - didn't seem all that pumped up for it.

Honestly, the sudden erosion of The Hunger Games's level of popularity just makes the performance of the Twilight films look even more impressive. After New Moon exploded with that $72.7 million opening day (which was six years ago to the day - time freaking flies, considering how I remember looking at updates every few hours while hanging out with friends in my freshman dorm very clearly), the grosses across the rest of the saga stayed relatively consistent. I think that we all assumed that the same thing would happen with Hunger Games prior to Mockingjay's opening last year, but no dice.

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

but MJ2 does have the games,

that is what the trailers told me

thg and cf ENDED their trailers with the START of the games making you terrified and excited for what would happen next so you had to see it. mj2 for some reason showed everything that happens during the "games" so there isn't the same kind of suspense and perfect reason for audiences NEEDING to see what happens next. that's the main explanation i can think of. they should have just done thg/cf-style marketing where they show the build-up in the first half of the movie and the trailer ends with katniss arriving at the capitol in some dramatic way equivalent to the tube going up into the arena in thg and cf, and then cut to title, you have to watch to see what happens next. imo

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is just sad and unprecedented for a franchise like this to start so strong and end with such a whimper at the BO. LG really screwed up with the handling of the two films, primarily the handling of the first part which I think is where most of the damage was done. But then again what can be expected these days from a  studio that thinks it's a good idea to spend a couple hundred mil on a film like Gods of Egypt? They have clearly had NO CLUE how to handle being a big studio player.  Before THG/CF made them blow up they were actually decent at knowing what kind of films to make and how to market them (THG/CF being proof of that). And yes their decision to split the book I think turned a ton of people off, even the fans. It worked out way better than I ever thought it would quality-wise, but I don't think that matters so much because people just weren't ever on board with the idea. Still I can't believe this one may have to claw and scratch its way to a 250m finish. Dammit. :(

step-back.png

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Still I can't believe this one may have to claw and scratch its way to a 250m finish.

We're down to 250m in record time folks! Who's gonna be the first to predict <200m? Any takers?

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

The $16 million preview number is definitely underwhelming. In addition to the fact that it had IMAX screenings that Part 1 didn't have, I'm guessing that the grosses for Wednesday double feature - which had a ticket price in the ballpark of $25, mind you - were also rolled in, so bowing below Part 1's $17 million preview gross (not to mention the very first film's $19.7 million midnight opening) is not exactly encouraging. I can't say it's unexpected, though; buzz has been quiet for such a big event film, and even the IMAX audience that I saw it with at 7:00 last night - which filled only about 75% of the auditorium - didn't seem all that pumped up for it.

Honestly, the sudden erosion of The Hunger Games's level of popularity just makes the performance of the Twilight films look even more impressive. After New Moon exploded with that $72.7 million opening day (which was six years ago to the day - time freaking flies, considering how I remember looking at updates every few hours while hanging out with friends in my freshman dorm very clearly), the grosses across the rest of the saga stayed relatively consistent. I think that we all assumed that the same thing would happen with Hunger Games prior to Mockingjay's opening last year, but no dice.

And there was no reason for it not to remain relatively stable after CF managed to actually increase over such a big debut as THG. Again, LG just fucked everything up by making an unpopular decision to split and then not thinking they had to at least convince the doubters with good marketing. MJ1 last year really was like them saying come see this movie just because, we're not even gonna try to persuade you. I still don't know where the hell the marketing was for that movie. In retrospect, I think it may have actually opened far worse than it did except for the fact that it had a relatively barren landscape last Holiday.  Thank god they at least threw some marketing into MJ2, since with the competition this year it could have really been a disaster if they did what they did with MJ1. But obviously a lot of the damage to the franchise's rep was already done. I'm guessing a lot of the audience from the first two must have just decided they will wait and see this one at home. 

6 minutes ago, water said:

We're down to 250m in record time folks! Who's gonna be the first to predict <200m? Any takers?

Well I'm certainly hoping the range and estimates go up, but if it hits that 104 low end, then 250 is all I feel safe predicting. Just being realistic unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And there was no reason for it not to remain relatively stable after CF managed to actually increase over such a big debut as THG. Again, LG just fucked everything up by making an unpopular decision to split and then not thinking they had to at least convince the doubters with good marketing. MJ1 last year really was like them saying come see this movie just because, we're not even gonna try to persuade you. I still don't know where the hell the marketing was for that movie. In retrospect, I think it may have actually opened far worse than it did except for the fact that it had a relatively barren landscape last Holiday.  Thank god they at least threw some marketing into MJ2, since with the competition this year it could have really been a disaster if they did what they did with MJ1. But obviously a lot of the damage to the franchise's rep was already done. I'm guessing a lot of the audience from the first two must have just decided they will wait and see this one at home. 

The franchise is over. Instead of one  $400 million film they get two $300 million dollars films. Mockingjay was always the least popular book, was always the least cinematic and they split it into two parts. They held their own regardless.