WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

How did Lawrence help THG get a $150m OW though? She was still relatively unknown by the GA, and reviews of her performance weren't that amazing to make the movie open to those numbers. The first was always going to be a big hit at the very least, though it may have had a Twilight 2.2x mutli or so without J Law and most of the cast and film delivering like it did. 

I agree.   But I do think she was a huge reason CF increased.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Having seen GOOD DINOSAUR, I feel fairly confident it's not gonna sniff $300m. I also think many here who're already expecting it to be a Pixar masterpiece are gonna be pretty subdued in a few weeks. It's gonna skew young. Nothing wrong with that at all. But keep it in mind.

Inside Out really struck a cord with audiences which means TGD was always going to face an uphill struggle but it'll still be a hit for them. 

Pixar's track record is impressive but I do wonder if expanding to two films every other year may be unwise and given their budgets are much bigger compared to WDAS, (TGD's budget is likely in the $250-300m range) and one misstep would give Disney ammunition to make cuts.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

On the subject of TGD, just because it may skew kid heavy doesn't mean it won't be a big hit. This is the Holiday season after all, and Pixar made a mediocre film once before that skewed heavily towards kids and was a huge success (the first Cars). I could still definitely see numbers similar to Cars' $310m adjusted for TGD. And if it does disappoint, then we officially know Star Wars and the powers of Oscar Isaac screwed everything this Holiday.

:apocalypse:

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

How did Lawrence help THG get a $150m OW though? She was still relatively unknown by the GA, and reviews of her performance weren't that amazing to make the movie open to those numbers. The first was always going to be a big hit at the very least, though it may have had a Twilight 2.2x mutli or so without J Law and most of the cast and film delivering like it did. 

Strong reviews. WOM. Even the negative reviews praised her. That OW happened because the fans saw the movie, loved it, and kept coming and it even hooked the wider audience. 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Inside Out really struck a cord with audiences which means TGD was always going to face an uphill struggle but it'll still be a hit for them. 

Pixar's track record is impressive but I do wonder if expanding to two films every other year may be unwise and given their budgets are much bigger compared to WDAS, (TGD's budget is likely in the $250-300 range) and one misstep would give Disney ammunition to make cuts.

Pixar isn't technically making two films a year. IO and TGD are actually exceptions at this point. Lasseter is considering having them make two films every other year though. 

Also TGD's budget is likely huge due to the "serious" production problems. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

As a complete aside: visuals are your primary reason for liking a movie?

Of course not, if a movie is beautiful but ccompletely boring or very slow I will hate it. But in the case of TGD I can't imagine, it's Pixar.

Your problem with TGD is only the fact that it skews young?? That should help its BO I think, kids outside the US love that, that's why Ice Age is such a success, that's why Minions was a success.

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hope you're right, but that would be a mini miracle with a $105m or so OW. It needs immediate great WOM to kick in and have a fantastic hold next weekend. Hoping for that. Or better yet, hopefully it will just go up a lot from early estimates today. 

Last go around someone insisted that the $300 million ship had sailed for MJ1. This franchise tends to surprise. 

Just now, Rman823 said:

I'm wondering what the reception to the CBM 2 parters will be. As long as the story is epic enough To justify it, fine by me. But when studios do it just as a cash grab that's when I'm against it.

They will just retitle the 2 parters. Lionsgate already did that with Allegiant 1 and 2 being titled Allegiant and Ascendant.

visuals are the only reason I go to the movies. I hated it when they added sound to movies I just wanna sit and relax and now I've gotta work up the energy to use two of my senses? and then smell-o-vision of course but that flopped because nobody wanted to go through a fucking triathlon 

• Like 7

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

visuals are the only reason I go to the movies. I hated it when they added sound to movies I just wanna sit and relax and now I've gotta work up the energy to use two of my senses? and then smell-o-vision of course but that flopped because nobody wanted to go through a fucking triathlon 

You must have loved that silent movie from a few years ago then, I think it was titled Drive.

2 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Pixar isn't technically making two films a year. IO and TGD are actually exceptions at this point. Lasseter is considering having them make two films every other year though. 

Also TGD's budget is likely huge due to the "serious" production problems. 

DWA found out the hard way that 2-3 films a year means quality suffers and I don't want that to happen to Pixar. I assume Iger and Lasseter wants more Pixar films per year so he can have more sequels without losing an original film. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, straggler said:

Last go around someone insisted that the $300 million ship had sailed for MJ1. This franchise tends to surprise. 

And I was never on that ship for the record. I have always, always been the one making the most optimistic predictions for the THG franchise in the past. I was one of the very first to say the original would beat New Moon (I said it before the teaser was even released), one of the first to say CF would increase and win the year, and one of the first on the MJ1 over Guardians of the Galaxy bandwagon after the lackluster OW happened. This time it just feels different though...too much has gone wrong and SW hype quite literally seems to be engulfing everything. I don't think 300 can happen for MJ2 without a $115m OW at the very least. 

6 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Of course not, if a movie is beautiful but ccompletely boring or very slow I will hate it. But in the case of TGD I can't imagine, it's Pixar.

Your problem with TGD is only the fact that it skews young?? That should help its BO I think, kids outside the US love that, that's why Ice Age is such a success, that's why Minions was a success.

It felt like very familiar territory to me. It wasn't bad at all, but I didn't have a strong connection with it (like I've had with the better Pixar efforts).