WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

Just now, water said:

that has nothing to do with the content of the movie itself?

It has everything to do with the content.  Splitting the book implies the first movie is half of the book and the second movie is the second half.  Splitting the movie very much effected the quality of the content and what the content was.

Also, you can make an excuse that anything in a movie is a gimmick.  In fact, it's a gimmick to call a movie a gimmick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

That's the thing: any other franchise (other than Avengers and Star Wars I guess) and these would be considered great numbers.

I'd say it depends on the franchise, and the film in the franchise.

I don't see how 105m is a great number for the finale.  The finale being the lowest OW of the franchise, and finales are typically the most frontloaded, means something went wrong with your franchise.  Either your marketing became complacent, people didn't like the last installment, etc.  Something happened to make people not care about going to see the conclusion to a series they've already seen a few installments of.

I'm not saying it's a flop number, but it certainly is a disappointment for a finale.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

It has everything to do with the content.  Splitting the book implies the first movie is half of the book and the second movie is the second half.  Splitting the movie very much effected the quality of the content and what the content was.

Also, you can make an excuse that anything in a movie is a gimmick.  In fact, it's a gimmick to call a movie a gimmick.

wait but you're saying it negatively effected the quality, thus it would make audiences want to see it less, which is exactly the opposite of what i mean by gimmick

11 minutes ago, water said:

wait but you're saying it negatively effected the quality, thus it would make audiences want to see it less, which is exactly the opposite of what i mean by gimmick

Because it making the audience see two movies to get the full story. Plus it is sci-fi, action ,dystopian movie based on a bestseller.  All of those are gimmicks. What is the gimmick of Avatar, Jurrasic World, Avengers, The Dark Knight, Inside Out, Star Wars, and Forrest Gump?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, water said:

that has nothing to do with the content of the movie itself?

But according to you an actor dying is a gimmick but what does that have to do with movie itself? philip seymour hoffman has passed away so that is the same reason on what you said for Fast 7.

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 3

let me put it this way. call me when a jurassic world sequel with no dinosaurs, or an avengers sequel with no superpowers, or an avatar sequel with no aliens retains 3/4 of its audience like mockingjay did with no hunger games

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, water said:

let me put it this way. call me when a jurassic world sequel with no dinosaurs, or an avengers sequel with no superpowers, or an avatar sequel with no aliens retains 3/4 of its audience like mockingjay did with no hunger games

Call me The Hunger Games sequel can make 3/4 of the audience with Mockingjay  2 in it with no war or Hunger Games. 

• Like 1

One thing I noticed about MJ2 is that it it's the first THG film to not have an "inspired by" soundtrack. Why didn't Lionsgate/Republic Records commission one this time?

I wonder if less people are seeing the movie because no one has a song stuck in their head after leaving the theater. Probably not but I like the possibility.

Edited by department store basement
moar
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, water said:

Time to go to sleep, or take your pill :lol:

The top 10 films and notables per industry estimates as of 11:43PM Friday by Deadline’s Amanda N’Duka:

1). The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 (LGF), 4,175 theaters / $47M Fri. / 3-day cume: $104.3M /Wk 1

2). Spectre (SONY), 3,659 theaters (-270)/ $4.3M Fri. (-57%) /3-day cume: $14.6M (-57%)/ Total cume: $153.6M /Wk 3

3). The Peanuts Movie (FOX), 3,671 theaters (-231)/ $2.9M Fri. (-47%)/3-day cume: $13.1M (-45%)/Total cume: $98.6M /Wk 3

4). The Night Before (SONY), 2,960, theaters / $3.8M Fri. / 3-day cume: $10.7M /Wk 1

5). Secret in Their Eyes (STX), 2,392, theaters / $2.5M Fri. / 3-day cume: $7.5M /Wk 1

6). Love The Coopers (LGF), 2,603 theaters (0)/ $1.2M Fri. (-58%) / 3-day cume: $3.9M (-53%) /Total cume: $14.9M /Wk 2

7). The Martian (FOX), 2,086 theaters (-702) / $1.1M Fri. (-44%)/ 3-day cume: $3.7M (-44%)/ Total cume: $212.6M / Wk 8

8). Spotlight (OPRD), 598 theaters (+538) / $935K Fri. (+139%)/3-day cume: $3.2M (+138%) / Total cume: $5.5M /Wk 3

9). The 33 (WB), 2,452 theaters (0)/ $735K Fri. (-60%) / 3-day cume: $2.3M  (-60%) /Total cume: $10M /Wk 2

10). Bridge Of Spies (DIS), 1,532 theaters (-1,156) / $625K Fri. (-51%)/3-day cume: $2.1M (-50%)/Total cume: $65.4M /Wk 6

Notables:

Guerre Des Tuques 3D (eONE), 76 theaters (0) / $188K Fri. (-8%)/ 3-day cume: $610K (-9%)/Total cume: $1.6M /Wk 2

Prem Ratan Dhan Payo (FIP), 283 theaters (-4)/ $160K Fri. (-77%)/ 3-day cume: $565K (-77%) / Total cume: $3.9M /Wk 2

My All American (AVI), 1,314 theaters (-251)/ $130K Fri. (-75%)/ 3-day cume: $398K (-71%) / Total cume: $2.2M /Wk 2

Carol (TWC), 4 theaters / $78K Fri. / 3-day cume: $249K /Per screen: $62K /Wk 1

Our Times (ASIA), 31 theaters / $70K Fri. / 3-day cume: $219K / /Wk 1

By The Sea (UNI), 126 theaters (+116)/ $55K Fri. (+44%) / 3-day cume: $196K (+103%) /Total Cume: 323K /Wk 2

Legend (UNI), 4 theaters / $24K Fri. / 3-day cume: $79K / Per screen: $20K /Wk 1

• Like 2