grim22

BOF's Top 25 movies of 2015. Full list on Page 13. The forum is shiny and chrome.

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Thought H8ful would get in the Top 15, interesting.

Blame grim for not waiting until late February to do this. The Hateful Eight, Room, Trumbo and Carol, I saw all of these after the deadline, and to be fair to those I haven't put either Joy, The Revenant, Brooklyn, Spotlight or The Big Short in my list either.

I already asked last year to delay this but whatever.

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

Blame grim for not waiting until late February to do this. The Hateful Eight, Room, Trumbo and Carol, I saw all of these after the deadline, and to be fair to those I haven't put either Joy, The Revenant, Spotlight or The Big Short in my list either.

I'm starting to doubt Carol showing up.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I'm starting to doubt Carol showing up.

Carol is the best movie of 2015 (I haven't seen Hateful Eight or Room yet, tho) but I wasn't able to nominate it. This is really unfair for those of us who live OS.

Spoiler

Brooklyn

Eq7f8q7.png

21lV3ao.png

A really good character portrait and a movie dealing with Irish immigrants in 1950s Brooklyn. Saoirse (like Inertia according to every single talk show) gives the best performance of her career, and if not for Brie Larson, she would definitely be the top Oscar contender

BOF User Reviews

Like Saoirse Ronan's performance, I found Brooklyn as a whole to be quite lovely. The melodrama is almost perfectly pitched, as Nick Hornby once again displays an incredible ability to tap into his protagonist's psychology and put her through an emotionally involving (and ultimately satisfying) journey. Ronan has displayed tremendous potential ever since her Oscar-nominated breakthrough in Atonement, and her work here is not only a career best, but also proof that she has the potential to be one of this generation's great actresses in her newly-begun adulthood. Her performance is expertly nuanced, and she does an excellent job of tracing every step of Eilis's arc. Although the film's ending is ultimately predictable as could be, Ronan's verve and deep emotional commitment to Eilis's development and conflict make the film work beautifully at nearly every turn.

A-

-Webslinger

I almost started disliking this (or at least liking it much less than I do now) when she almost blew her marriage for some bloke that clearly wasn't right for her.  But she made the right decision and all was right with the world.  I haven't seen a better performance by an actress this year (although Daisey Ridley is at least on par) and the film just makes you feel good inside.  I adored both Ronan and Emory Cohen, who I can only assume is the actor who played her love interest, because it doesn't really look like him on imdb....it also says he was in Place Beyond the Pines, in which he was also outstanding.  But Ronan is front and center here and she gives and honest and emotional turn as a young girl afraid to leave her homeland in search of a better life.  As the film goes on, she matures and grows from a fragile and scared young girl to a confident and brave young woman.  This is absolutely one of my faves of the year.

9.5/10 

-Baumer

• Like 15

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Blame grim for not waiting until late February to do this. The Hateful Eight, Room, Trumbo and Carol, I saw all of these after the deadline, and to be fair to those I haven't put either Joy, The Revenant, Spotlight or The Big Short in my list either.

Regardless of when the deadline is, there'll always be more movies to see.

That's I think we should do some retrospectives. Would be fun. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Brooklyn

Eq7f8q7.png

21lV3ao.png

A really good character portrait and a movie dealing with Irish immigrants in 1950s Brooklyn. Saoirse (like Inertia according to every single talk show) gives the best performance of her career, and if not for Brie Larson, she would definitely be the top Oscar contender

BOF User Reviews

Like Saoirse Ronan's performance, I found Brooklyn as a whole to be quite lovely. The melodrama is almost perfectly pitched, as Nick Hornby once again displays an incredible ability to tap into his protagonist's psychology and put her through an emotionally involving (and ultimately satisfying) journey. Ronan has displayed tremendous potential ever since her Oscar-nominated breakthrough in Atonement, and her work here is not only a career best, but also proof that she has the potential to be one of this generation's great actresses in her newly-begun adulthood. Her performance is expertly nuanced, and she does an excellent job of tracing every step of Eilis's arc. Although the film's ending is ultimately predictable as could be, Ronan's verve and deep emotional commitment to Eilis's development and conflict make the film work beautifully at nearly every turn.

A-

-Webslinger

I almost started disliking this (or at least liking it much less than I do now) when she almost blew her marriage for some bloke that clearly wasn't right for her.  But she made the right decision and all was right with the world.  I haven't seen a better performance by an actress this year (although Daisey Ridley is at least on par) and the film just makes you feel good inside.  I adored both Ronan and Emory Cohen, who I can only assume is the actor who played her love interest, because it doesn't really look like him on imdb....it also says he was in Place Beyond the Pines, in which he was also outstanding.  But Ronan is front and center here and she gives and honest and emotional turn as a young girl afraid to leave her homeland in search of a better life.  As the film goes on, she matures and grows from a fragile and scared young girl to a confident and brave young woman.  This is absolutely one of my faves of the year.

9.5/10 

-Baumer

who?

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Carol is the best movie of 2015 (I haven't seen Hateful Eight or Room yet, tho) but I wasn't able to nominate it. This is really unfair for those of us who live OS.

i won't be able to see mustang until like april and i really wanted to see mustang. honestly guys we should've held off on this until may 2017 then i'd have gotten all my required viewings in. very unfair.

• Like 1