grim22

BOF's Top 25 movies of 2015. Full list on Page 13. The forum is shiny and chrome.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i read a great quote in the guardian today about how the martian is an anti-forrest gump because it's about an american everyman achieving success through smarts rather than stupidity. for that alone can anyone hate it? i'm glad it exists at least.

An American every man who's a scientist and an astronaut?   :lol:

It's pretty much a poster child for exceptionalism.  Its the anti Armageddon where we send out boneheads to space to save us.

Edited by TalismanRing

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I wanna say #5 is Room but how hilarious would it be if Ant-Man was fifth? Now that The Martian is 6th I don't condone AM showing up though, because that over Martian would be a fucking joke.

What if its Pitch Perfect 2 :ph34r:

Spoiler

ROOM

GPK3kUH.png

As92Ai9.png

2015 saw 2 different takes at being imprisoned in a bunker/room and being abused for an extended period of time. While "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" took the comedy and happy route to tackle the subject, Room was way too real and on point. The movie does a really smart thing taking the point of view of the little kid and we see everything as he sees it. A strong performance by Brie Larson and an awards worthy performance by Jacob Tremblay power the movie. The final scene is one of my favorites from 2015 as well.

Watching everyone refer to it as "The Room" was funny though

56029917.jpg

BOF User Reviews

This was incredible. I know it's often a hyperbole when people say this, but it really makes you see more of the beauty of the world after you leave. Larson and Tremblay are amazing together, and their relationship, though its ups and downs, single handedly carries the movie as they go through their unusual series of events. Right as the movie seems like it may end, the actual second act begins, exploring the impact of what follows, and every emotion captured feels authentic, real, and truly mesmerizing. It's a true emotional powerhouse. As I said before, the heart of the movie is the love between mother and son, and I've never seen a relationship between parent and child this raw, this beautiful. I cried so many times during the second act, and the finale gave me goosebumps.

It's a comparable movie experience to Cloud Atlas, Inside Out, and Her for me. Truly a masterpiece of cinematic empathy and hope.

-Spaghetti

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i read a great quote in the guardian today about how the martian is an anti-forrest gump because it's about an american everyman achieving success through smarts rather than stupidity. for that alone can anyone hate it? i'm glad it exists at least.

That depends on whether you see FG as completely serious about Forrest's success or as satirical. There's a case to be made for the latter.