Cmasterclay

2015 Awards and Precusors (PGA NOMS ON PG. 10)

If Miller misses tomorrow then Mad Max is done for anything above the tech line. It sure does feel it's bled a lot of momentum the past few days. At first it seemed to only miss at the places where everyone knew it never ever ever had any shot of getting in at (SAG, WGA), but missing at BAFTA (which shares plenty of the same voters) was a sign of caution and then Miller not winning at the Globes when most expected him to doesn't instill much confidence. It's hard to see where the support could come from outside of Miller. But what it has working against it more than anything else isn't difficult to see: it's an apocalyptic summer blockbuster action semi-sequel. Movies like District 9 and Inception made much more sense as AMPAS-friendly "blockbuster" nominees. We can all agree that if nominated, it'll unquestionably claim the title of the most out there, most improbable-seeming Best Picture nominee ever. I watched it again (fourth time) on HBO the other night and it really is a very dark, very weird, very very violent movie. How many of movies that are all of those things have ever gotten nominated for Best Picture before (answer: 0)? Although most movies like that can only dream of getting the kind of critical acclaim this got. Ultimately, if it wasn't BAFTA's thing, it's unlikely to be the Academy's either, and if Miller misses with DGA tomorrow, then it's over and its reward will be getting this far in the race. Sorry Tele.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

If Miller misses tomorrow then Mad Max is done for anything above the tech line. It sure does feel it's bled a lot of momentum the past few days. At first it seemed to only miss at the places where everyone knew it never ever ever had any shot of getting in at (SAG, WGA), but missing at BAFTA (which shares plenty of the same voters) was a sign of caution and then Miller not winning at the Globes when most expected him to doesn't instill much confidence. It's hard to see where the support could come from outside of Miller. But what it has working against it more than anything else isn't difficult to see: it's an apocalyptic summer blockbuster action semi-sequel. Movies like District 9 and Inception made much more sense as AMPAS-friendly "blockbuster" nominees. We can all agree that if nominated, it'll unquestionably claim the title of the most out there, most improbable-seeming Best Picture nominee ever. I watched it again (fourth time) on HBO the other night and it really is a very dark, very weird, very very violent movie. How many of movies that are all of those things have ever gotten nominated for Best Picture before (answer: 0)? Although most movies like that can only dream of getting the kind of critical acclaim this got. Ultimately, if it wasn't BAFTA's thing, it's unlikely to be the Academy's either, and if Miller misses with DGA tomorrow, then it's over and its reward will be getting this far in the race. Sorry Tele.

Yeah, I basically agree with all this and said as much months ago. I am still (pleasantly) shocked MM has any real chance at all. It is soooo not what the Academy goes for, or at least before now. The DGAs will be telling. I still think it has built enough momentum to make it there and the Oscars, but as you said, man will it ever be the most unorthodox BP nominee of all time. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Oh and the "experts" this year are seeming totally useless. They still have Spotlight as the far away frontrunner. In what universe is that the case? At the very best it is like in a three way tie for frontrunner, and I doubt even that. 

Spotlight could still win SAG. The race is completely open, and it's rather exciting.

But yeah, I could totally see Mad Max being a snub where everyone realizes in retrospect that the movie was probably just far outside the norm of the kind of films that typically get recognized for them to embrace it beyond techs, overwhelming critical support be damned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

If Miller misses, yeah, he's done in Director. DGA has a gigantic voting base so I doubt he misses.

DGA's voting base really only benefits if you're either well known in TV circles (like Hooper) since DGA is mostly TV or a super well respected famous director (like Spielberg). 

Don't think Miller will get saved by DGA at this point. 

I see: 

McKay

Spielberg

Scott

Innaritu

Haynes / McCarthy 

• Like 1

I totally wouldn't be shocked to see Bridge of Spies coming back strong on Thursday morning. The movie is total Oscar catnip.

But yeah, I'm really losing faith in Miller/Mad Max (and will definitely remove them from my predictions if Miller misses tomorrow). The Martian will serve as a strong "classy" blockbuster representative nominee without any sort of trashy/controversial elements attached to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Not as important as the big DGA noms, but CAS (Sound Mixing) nominees:

Bridge of Spies

The Hateful Eight

Mad Max: Fury Road

The Revenant

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

No SOC or Martian is a bit surprising. They didn't even nominate Whiplash last year but typically they get the winner correct.

56 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

DGA NOMINATIONS:

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu

Tom McCarthy

Adam McKay

George Miller

Ridley Scott

DGA could go 5/5 with the Oscars this year.

I Could see McCarthy missing at the Oscars, but I hope not.  I like that list.