#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

9 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

I love Nolan, but I can't stand the pedestal that he is put on.  He's good, sometimes great, but he ain't Jesus or God when it comes to film.

My thoughts exactly.  I wouldn't even list him as one of the top 10 filmmakers working right now.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Avatar worldwide looks like a very tough mountain to climb for TFA. Even with $1B domestic it would still need $1.7B overseas and that number seems like a long shot. 

Yes, that's true. The Star Wars franchise, historically has not had as good BO overseas as some other high profile film franchises have had.

No doubt the UK will account for a huge gross, and is expected to overtake Skyfall's record of $160 mil, plus other big markets in Europe will account for a high gross such as Germany and France. Outside of Europe, Japan should be a big earner, BUT the big unknown is China, coz they havn't had much exposure to this franchise. Personally i think the film will be big in China, but the numbers, who knows.

Another thing to take into account is the current exchange rate, which is really hurting a films dollars earnings overseas, for example the recent Bond film Spectre saw less boxoffice abroad than Skyfall, yet in many countries the admissions were noticeably higher.

SW7 will no doubt do very well for the next 2-3 holiday weeks, but there are some other strong films coming along during this period, so if SW7 is still in the distance, in relation to Avatar by early January, then the film will likely have jack shit chance of becoming No.1 worldwide.

1 minute ago, The Panda Menace said:

My thoughts exactly.  I wouldn't even list him as one of the top 10 filmmakers working right now.

Of course he isn't. Half his filmography is big budget mainstream stuff and he is not very versatile. Stays in the same genre or at least mood. Needs to challenge himself more. 

• Like 2

I'd say Johnson and Nolan have a pretty similar early career.  3 indies to various degrees of success critically and commerically(I'd give Nolan the nod to both despite my love of Looper).  Then they get the big franchise picture.  Nolan blew up, and we shall have to see how Johnson fares.  I can't see him reaching that level, but then again, not many do.

• Like 3

The biggest trailer ever in total views is easily the SW teaser 1 followed by teaser  2.

The biggest single watched Youtube Trailer video is JW at 78 million and with SW7 trailer been getting millions of views daily since Thursday, it shall be passed. 

To put the exchange rates in perspective, in December 2009 when Avatar came out the euro was $1.43. Today it's $1.08. Assuming similar ticket price inflation (about 11%), Star Wars would have to get 120% of Avatar's admissions in the Eurozone just to match it in dollar terms.

• Like 6

I don't understand why people still think it's not going to take down Avatar. 

I mean, when Avatar was released it only opened to $77m, but then it did something completely different it's second weekend: it practically stayed flat. But not only that, it also held really well during the weekdays. Just pretend it's 2009 again, when Avatar opened to $77m and performed like any other film, how much do you think it's total should have been during a holiday release? $310m? But Avatar was a completely different beast.

Now we got an amazing Star Wars movie that is well received by everyone, there hasn't been a Star Wars movie in a decade, we got a whole new generation of fans that love the franchise, it's released in the perfect time slot to do huge business, it literally went balls deep on the December opening weekend and bitch slapped the All Time opening weekend, and yet you motherfuckers still think it's domestic gross will be less than Avatar?

Please, get the fuck outta here. 

I understand that it's front loaded with a huge $120m opening day, but it's practically beating every record that it faces (yes, it will take the ww opening weekend once actuals come in). Plus, we've never had anything like this happen in December, why treat it like any other film? Just like Avatar, this too is a completely different beast.

For Fucks Sake, The Phantom Menace was a piece of shit, had garbage reviews, nobody fuckin likes it, people are encouraged to view the Star Wars movie Machete style just to completely forget it, it was released in the summer, and still had a multiplier of 6.7!!! I get what you're gonna say, 'it was the first Star Wars movie in 30 years, it was gonna be huge regardless'. Maybe, but that movie also sucked dick.

It's been 10 years since the last Star Wars movie, people love this, it's breaking records, it's the holidays, it has no competition, it's going to [MOD EDIT] Avatar!

FUCKIN ACCEPT IT!

Edited by Darth Water Bottle
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, ChiSoxRox said:

To put the exchange rates in perspective, in December 2009 when Avatar came out the euro was $1.43. Today it's $1.08. Assuming similar ticket price inflation (about 11%), Star Wars would have to get 120% of Avatar's admissions in the Eurozone just to match it in dollar terms.

Is that also accounting for Avatar's insane 3D share? If not then it might need higher than 120% admissions. 

How is TFA doing in France? Avatar was enormous there with $175m. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Is that also accounting for Avatar's insane 3D share? If not then it might need higher than 120% admissions. 

How is TFA doing in France? Avatar was enormous there with $175m. 

It is impossible for SW to reach Avatar. The 3D share was basically 100%.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HeyItsMoses said:

I don't understand why people still think it's not going to take down Avatar. 

I mean, when Avatar was released it only opened to $77m, but then it did something completely different it's second weekend: it practically stayed flat. But not only that, it also held really well during the weekdays. Just pretend it's 2009 again, when Avatar opened to $77m and performed like any other film, how much do you think it's total should have been during a holiday release? $310m? But Avatar was a completely different beast.

Now we got an amazing Star Wars movie that is well received by everyone, there hasn't been a Star Wars movie in a decade, we got a whole new generation of fans that love the franchise, it's released in the perfect time slot to do huge business, it literally went balls deep on the December opening weekend and bitch slapped the All Time opening weekend, and yet you motherfuckers still think it's domestic gross will be less than Avatar?

Please, get the fuck outta here. 

I understand that it's front loaded with a huge $120m opening day, but it's practically beating every record that it faces (yes, it will take the ww opening weekend once actuals come in). Plus, we've never had anything like this happen in December, why treat it like any other film? Just like Avatar, this too is a completely different beast.

For Fucks Sake, The Phantom Menace was a piece of shit, had garbage reviews, nobody fuckin likes it, people are encouraged to view the Star Wars movie Machete style just to completely forget it, it was released in the summer, and still had a multiplier of 6.7!!! I get what you're gonna say, 'it was the first Star Wars movie in 30 years, it was gonna be huge regardless'. Maybe, but that movie also sucked dick.

It's been 10 years since the last Star Wars movie, people love this, it's breaking records, it's the holidays, it has no competition, it's going to rape Avatar!

FUCKIN ACCEPT IT!

Calm down, its not really that important.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, HeyItsMoses said:

Seriously. Interstellar fuckin sucked.

Calm down miss. ;)

Yes, i believe SWTFA will surpass Avatar, or at the least come really close, at the North American BO, but Worldwide, ummm its possible, but far from a certainty.