#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Not a chance. Even with $1 billion domestic, the OS lead of Avatar is just too insurmountable. Just look at its numbers in Europe (many $100+ million markets) and in Asia (South Korea and Japan's numbers in particular are out of reach for Star Wars). China may increase over Avatar, but even that alone won't be enough to close the gap unless it massively overperforms. 

25 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That goes both ways. There are quite a few here that talk about him like he's a total hack. 

Oh, give me a break. The overwhelming majority treats him like the great God of cinema. 

What I suggest is maybe he's neither a God nor a hack?

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 3

SW7 will no doubt have a massive gross, will it join the $2 bill club?,and if it does how far up will it reach? Time will tell.

Its not an exact science but here's a list of the Highest-grossing films adjusted for inflation Worldwide, based on inflation figures 2014. The $2 billion plus members

1 Gone with the Wind                   $3,440,000,000

2 Avatar                                        $3,020,000,000

3 Star Wars 1977                      $2,825,000,000

4 Titanic                                        $2,516,000,000

5 The Sound of Music                    $2,366,000,000

6 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial            $2,310,000,000

7 The Ten Commandments           $2,187,000,000

8 Doctor Zhivago                          $2,073,000,000

9 Jaws                                          $2,027,000,000

Edited by mepal1

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

Oh, give me a break. The overwhelming majority treats him like the great God of cinema. 

What I suggest is maybe he's neither a God nor a hack?

Most of the god stuff is a total joke with tongues firmly planted in cheeks unless I've misread the intention of the posts. And yes he's a good director. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Most of the god stuff is a total joke with tongues firmly planted in cheeks unless I've misread the intention of the posts. And yes he's a good director. 

Finally someone understood.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Now watch Johnson deliver the best one despite lack of experience, haha. I like the new characters a lot so I'm curious to see where it goes in the sequels. 

I do think Episode 8 will surpass Episode 7 in terms of quality and enjoyment, but that is completely standing on the shoulders of the work that Abrams and Kasdan did. It was beyond a herculean task and a truly difficult balancing act to relaunch and rejuvenate this series. I think it was nearly impossible for Episode 7 to be this perfect Star Wars film because it had so many things it needed to accomplish that didn't necessarily have to do with the actual filmmaking. I think few could have done what JJ did and the fact that he was able to make a good Star Wars film while appeasing all fan bases, bringing back the original cast, introducing a completely new set of character, beginning a new trilogy etc.. is remarkable.

The biggest accomplishment of Episode 7, imo, is that we all are literally salivating for more Star Wars. That is the huge achievement. The course has been corrected and the next set of directors have an amazing sandbox to play in with characters that we all genuinely like and want to see more of. I find that to be a huge triumph and JJ definitely had the hardest task that any of the subsequent Star Wars directors will have. He truly relaunched and reinvigorated a series not only with the highest of expectations but with an unprecedented demand from audiences for a film that would recapture their imaginations and inspire them in a way that the original trilogy did. Time will tell if the later part was accomplished, but so far it seems that JJ knocked it out of the park in terms of the fundamentals that really mattered. Can't wait to see it again.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, DeeCee said:

I just noticed Rth has posted more then baumer this week.  

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Hopefully he will be here to give some updates about Sunday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I know most of the worship around here is joking, but my "great God" comment is more about the inordinate support he receives both here and all over the Internet. I'm sensing a little backtracking with the "we're only kidding around", but a lot of you will love and follow him anywhere. I'll never deny he's a good writer/director. Never said he wasn't.

• Like 2