#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

2 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

You're gonna have to come to terms with the way things are done. It's not changing. If you go down this road with TFA you'll have to do the same with other blockbusters that benefitted from the same.

The way things are done is always changing. They open movies on Wednesdays in France. A 5 day opening is not the same as 4 day opening which isn't the same as a 3 day opening. I am impressed by SW7's opening but it isn't as impressive if it had made $120 million with a midnight opening.

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

SoCal seems to be representing pretty well too. I just didn't check on JW's Saturday, so I have no point of comparison.

I haven't seen many sell outs today. I did see the oddest thing at Irvine Spectrum. 7 sold out shows beginning at 2:25 am and ending at 5:55 am.

Graveyard shift? Never seen that before.

22 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Watching the Grinch cartoon. Forgot the movie was #1 for 2000 and adjusts to $401 today without 3D. Crazy.

Probably second only to Three Men and a Baby for most "WTF?" #1 movie of the year since the 80's. I guess there's Sniper too, but I still hate calling that a 2014 film. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rhsn said:

The way things are done is always changing. They open movies on Wednesdays in France. A 5 day opening is not the same as 4 day opening which isn't the same as a 3 day opening. I am impressed by SW7's opening but it isn't as impressive if it had made $120 million with a midnight opening.

People give un-due weight to the midnights-only concept. SW probably had a slight edge, but it's not nearly as dramatic as you might think. For mega-openers like Harry Potter, theaters finished their contractual evening runs and then put HP on every screen, starting at 12:01. The total number of showtimes is pretty similar to movies that open earlier, they're just spread out more over the evening. The benefit from earlier shows isn't necessarily that there's tons more of them, but that it's an easier time to see a movie for non-diehard fans (the diehards would show up at any hour).

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Yep. It's about how the Rebels acquired the Death Star plans before the events of ANH. There's been rumors that Vader might be in the movie; though it would probably be in a small role.

Christ, that far back? Surprised they're even entertaining the notion of a SW prequel after George's attempts.

Edited by Hatebox

8 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

SoCal seems to be representing pretty well too. I just didn't check on JW's Saturday, so I have no point of comparison.

I can't read the word "SoCal" without reading SoDoSoPa lmao.

It would have definitely lost some gross starting at midnight because it was a school night. Plenty of parents weren't going to allow even high schoolers to be out until 3am on a school night, especially since some may have been finishing up tests yesterday. However, DH2 opened in a time of year that's not a problem, so it had that advantage over TFA. So the way I see it, that evens out the advantage TFA got by starting at 7. Both were basically on a level playing field 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rhsn said:

They don't change that much, jmo. The earlier shows become a big thing after a major tragedy occurred in the U.S. I can't speak on what you find impressive or not. That's your opinion. I just know that even the most impressive midnight numbers still had to do it with a boatload of showings and all of a theater's screens available for use. So to me it's all the same.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I... don't have a clue what that is. :lol: 

lol

Also Tele, how about you throw an ! at the end of that $120.5m # in the title…beating the OD record by $30m deserves some emphasis! 

Edited by FTF