#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Nobody saw Jurassic World coming, nobody, we were (I at least) were making fun of the trailer and it did Avengers business with batshit crazy walk ups.

250m-300M TOTAL dom I would have said was the best case scenario for JW back in May and it just went supernova.

Go figure.

As I said, Spielberg and Lucas still rule the world, 40 years on.

But FA destroyed the December OW by nearly tripling it !!!!!!!

Yeezus West !

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I agree on the hype for ROTJ, but how long did it take for people to figure out how good ESB was? It had mixed reaction at first. 

Agreed. The Force Awakens is my 2nd favorite Star Wars film after my third viewing, and it's quite close to The Empire Strikes Back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rth said:

Yesterday initial est 63-65 being to conservative, let’s see if Sunday is too conservative..or not,  atm go with 54-57m, which high end would be inline with high  DL had this morning from other sources.

I think im being to conservative stay tuned..for now think have to expect high end at least

• Like 34

2 minutes ago, KATCH-2D2 said:

I still think SW7 numbers are more mind-blowing but I agree with you that it can't beat the WTF degree of JW opening. At the beginning of the year it's always AOU vs SW7 for the crown of 2015 BO greatness. JW wasn't even tracking above Spectre or Minions..:P

People are thinking short term. They will understand what a beast The Force Awakens is after its second weekend. I've been to three completely packed sessions and the last one was today, in my hometown. My hometown doesn't have fully packed shows. Not ever. This broke the ow record on its first weekend, and it's just getting started.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rth said:

I think im being to conservative stay tuned..for now think have to expect high end at least

I HAVE TO GO TO SLEEP. DON'T DO THIS TO ME!!

How much time should I wait? Is 60M Sunday coming? I am DYING here!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Nobody saw Jurassic World coming, nobody, we were (I at least) were making fun of the trailer and it did Avengers business with batshit crazy walk ups.

250m-300M TOTAL dom I would have said was the best case scenario for JW back in May and it just went supernova.

Go figure.

As I said, Spielberg and Lucas still rule the world, 40 years on.

But FA destroyed the December OW by nearly tripling it !!!!!!!

Yeezus West !

Before December ends people will see what kind of box office monster TFA is. After today I'm sure of this.

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

If the Sunday number is underestimated by 9-10M, I can't imagine Disney doesn't get creative with the accounting for Friday and Saturday. Some BS about previews coming in even stronger, or something. $250M is too much of a milestone to leave alone when you're that close.

I figure Wednesday and Thursday are good to steal from if necessary. Monday and Tuesday could both hit $30m. Leave them alone. Thursday will suck anyway due to Christmas Eve, so no one will give a shit if it's $1-2m lower.  

• Like 4

Jurassic World is more impressive in that, "oh wow, these 1994 Rockets are pretty dang great" kind of way. TFA is impressive in that "Oh wow, these 1996 Bulls are destroying worlds" kind of way. One was a surprise, the other had Jordan. Both were dominant championship squads. But one is playing at a different level. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rth said:

This has so much the opposite of how AOU's weekend went.

I assume it has to be slowing down even in California by now....

• Like 4