#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Funny if it follows Dh2 from now on it should get 220 million weekend.

Assuming $55m and Potter frontloadedness, you get $214m. Normally I would say there is no chance it's as frontloaded as Potter, but the Christmas shopping and traveling situation could throw a wrench into the equation. Either way it seems the OW record is gonna happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathlife said:

Agreed.

This was what said some weeks ago.

Some people will call one of the biggest openings in history just "alright" if it doesn't hit absolutely ridiculous numbers.

I agree, people making these really ridiculous forecast are the new buzzkills...The guys crashing what should be a great celebration!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Assuming $55m and Potter frontloadedness, you get $214m. Normally I would say there is no chance it's as frontloaded as Potter, but the Christmas shopping and traveling situation could throw a wrench into the equation. Either way it seems the OW record is gonna happen.

If it is very front loaded don't blame canada here it's going to be crazy all weekend :)

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Unless my numbers are wrong but this would have to be more front loaded then breaking down part 2 to miss JW..

It should not be anywhere near as front-loaded as Potter

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Unless my numbers are wrong but this would have to be more front loaded then breaking down part 2 to miss JW..

This will be extremely front-loaded with all of the presales (see MOS), but I think DH2 is a good comparison for how it will end up for the weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

Well, anything over Potter is huge.  And keep in mind, Potter's midnight is already huge.  That didn't just eclipse the record, it fucking destroyed it.  

Also, Potter was JUST midnights. 

This is huge in it's own right, but that's something about Potter I'll never forget.

1 minute ago, eXtacy said:

If it was a summer release, your statement would be 100% right. But we don't know how things will go with all of the Christmas stuff happening this weekend. It will be a factor. Question is how big of a factor it might be. The proof will be in the pudding.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

I agree completely.  With Potter, NO diehard fan waited later than midnight.  But for this I know many, many folks (especially 30+) who grew up on this series and are waiting for Saturday and Sunday, and even a weekday to let some of the hype burn off.  

I still think we have a 250+ OW.

• Like 1

To note the opening weekend record would simply be a crown not the majority of its box office gross like many films.

With many people holding off seeing this movie till after this weekend this is the start of a massive hual.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Still not getting this 50-55m

Potter did 43m midnight to 6.

This has 2 more(66%more) time slots starting at 7pm and i keep reading this

Midnight movies worked differently back in the olden days of 4 years ago. A 16-screen cinema could show Potter (or whatever movie) on all 16 screens, however many it took to meet demand, because all the other movies were done for the day. But last night a 16-screen theater would only be showing Star Wars on anywhere between 6-10 screens, because they had to show other movies too. So at some theaters Star Wars could be putting up bigger numbers with fewer showtimes. (And when you think about a higher percentage of youth tickets sold for Potter, that makes even more sense.)

It was tough to count sellouts at midnight movies 5-10 years ago, because theaters would just add another screen when one sold out.

I remember for some movies they'd just say "screens 1 through 8 are open for Movie X, you can sit in whichever one you want". And I'd go wandering through a few and pick one on a combination of screen size and whatever decent seats were available.

• Like 7

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

To note the opening weekend record would simply be a crown not the majority of its box office gross like many films.

With many people holding off seeing this movie till after this weekend this is the start of a massive hual.

Potter is the most frontloaded opening weekend record holder and it was still only 44% of the total gross. 44% is not a majority. TDK, Avengers, and Jurassic World were all in the 30-33% range.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If it was a summer release, your statement would be 100% right. But we don't know how things will go with all of the Christmas stuff happening this weekend. It will be a factor. Question is how big of a factor it might be. The proof will be in the pudding.

Just remember Deathly Hallows had a 2.24x OW multiplier. If Star Wars is truly as front loaded it would end up with less than 500m.

I think the logic that a film can gross more in previews then on midnight is not based on any fact.

The truth is since tdkr no film has gotten more in previews since.

It literally took the mother of all films to do it 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, eXtacy said:

Just remember Deathly Hallows had a 2.24x OW multiplier. If Star Wars is truly as front loaded it would end up with less than 500m.

But I'm not talking about the domestic total, I am only talking about the weekend. Potter opened in July, which meant Friday matinees were stronger than a December release would have been for that film. And it did not have to deal with Christmas shopping/traveling on Saturday or Sunday. Potter likely would have finished under the previous record of $158m if it came out the weekend before Christmas. Star Wars is generally nowhere near as frontloaded as Potter for opening weekends, but this is a different situation and it has a handicap with the release date that we've never seen with a Star Wars movie.

• Like 1