#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

2 minutes ago, Talkie said:

After all the overheated hype on this site the preview number is a little surprising. I thought it would be a lot more based on the sellouts people were reporting.

What the hell were you expecting this to do on Thursday?  This obliterated every other Thursday night preview number before it and just the previews would rank in the top 20 days of all time. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I've seen some people mention Avatar's first Sunday that dropped only 3%, but that is a bad trap to fall into. Avatar's Saturday gross was deflated by a horrible snow storm on the East Coast, kinda like Ultron's Saturday was deflated by the boxing match and other sports events (it dropped an unheard of 11% on Sunday in May as a result).

Other films that have opened the weekend before Christmas usually drop 20-30% on Sunday. That's what I'm expecting for TFA unless there is enough sellout spillover to help it achieve a drop around 15% or something like that.

Yeah, Avatar's drop isn't happening but as we've seen with massive tentpoles, spillover effects happen. If SW7 hits 70M today and tomorrow than spillover for sure will effect Sunday for potential 15-20% drop.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, water said:

what? i just said "i'm not blaming the movie, i mean it has a female lead and lots of female characters". of course it will appeal to women, but the hostile fandom makes them feel not welcome. the fact that there are already some of you saying "well maybe it just doesn't appeal to them as much" proves the very sexism in the fandom i'm talking about. it does appeal to them just as much, but then you say shit like that and make them feel unwelcome.

So we're not allowed to talk about any demographic unless we're coddling it and never bringing up hypotheses that can be construed by you as whatever -ist that may apply. Got it.

Star Wars fans are now hostile, sexist pigs that scare women away from seeing the movies that they really want to see. Guess I'll go check my Star Wars privilege and repent.

• Like 1

I have zero idea how to put these numbers into perspective. Maybe this will just be hugely front loaded but I think it will be leggy.

Not sure of what the Friday #s will be at my theatre but I wouldn't be surprised if Rth shows up and says 110-113

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, water said:

things like twilight and thg show that nerdy fan properties can appeal to women much more if the fandom isn't sexist against them. older nerdy fandoms have a history of being hostile to women. i'm not blaming the movie, i mean it has a female lead and lots of female characters, i'm blaming the broader fandom for starting shit like "fake geek girl" memes and whatnot

Yeah but this is a generalization unless you know the exact % of "hostile fans" that showed up or unless you could run some sort of polling to determine what % of women would have gone if they hadn't been turned off by said hostile fans.  

Without actual data this isn't meaningful.  We can assume whatever we want but the only real conclusion is that 29% of the audience was female.  Anything beyond that is conjecture.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Talkie said:

After all the overheated hype on this site the preview number is a little surprising. I thought it would be a lot more based on the sellouts people were reporting.

That...is why you fail.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, water said:

things like twilight and thg show that nerdy fan properties can appeal to women much more if the fandom isn't sexist against them. older nerdy fandoms have a history of being hostile to women. i'm not blaming the movie, i mean it has a female lead and lots of female characters, i'm blaming the broader fandom for starting shit like "fake geek girl" memes and whatnot

Twilight is Trashdom not Nerdom, Hunger Games appeals to both men and women and if women like it due to woman lead that would also translate to SW as that has not only a woman lead but a black man lead. this is how far we have come ahead. Maybe just maybe women don't like Star Wars as much as they do hunger games. Maybe this movie will lead them to slowly liking it as time goes on but don't put false labels that older nerds have a history of hostility towards women.

Women have the right to chose what to like and what not to like. If they don't like something it doesnt mean automatically that there is some semblance of sexism there. Let them like or dislike, dont force it on either sex.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2015, 4:57:22, blackspider said:

Hi everybody! It seems fitting to come back to posting here after another absence. It was actually my anticipation for Revenge of the Sith that got me to join the BOM forums back in 2005 and now over 10 years later I still find myself posting on BO forums, although not nearly as much as I once did. I actually predicted it to make 50m OD even though that seemed crazy at the time. I have been keeping tabs on here but only as a reader. Leave it to the power of Star Wars to pull me back in. The hype is deafening and I can't ignore it anymore.

My prediction (subject to change):

Previews: 57m

Friday: 71m (128m OD)

Saturday: 80m

Sunday: 65m

OW: 273m

DOM Total: 921m

International: 1.9B

Worldwide Total: 2.821B

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Awww...you had a chance to talk logical box office.   i.e....not appealing as much to the female audience could hurt its chances at the top records.  (Titanic/Avatar)

But you had to wedge the "sexism" thing in there...

Fewer females in the audience has nothing to do with "geek sexism." Male fans didn't scare women and girls off and the producers have actively courted them. It may be that the most dedicated fans are male, and they were the ones motivated to see it first.

There is an alternate reading, however. Perhaps women are the ones being sexist. Maybe female filmgoers have dismissed SW because it's a traditionally male-oriented franchise. Rey's inclusion and Leia's enhanced role obviously weren't enough to overcome women's bias against the film. Fancy that.

• Like 3

So far so good! What a truly amazing number. I was actually worried a bit last night. We ended up selling in the low 5k range at my theater, about 1,000 less than I predicted. It ran out of steam after midnight and our shows beyond that didn't sell a lot. Can't wait to see how the rest of the weekend turns out. I'm working the next 4 days so don't get to see the movie till Tuesday. The struggle to avoid spoilers till then while working in a theater is going to be tough. I should bring earplugs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hasanahmad said:

Twilight is Trashdom not Nerdom, Hunger Games appeals to both men and women and if women like it due to woman lead that would also translate to SW as that has not only a woman lead but a black man lead. this is how far we have come ahead. Maybe just maybe women don't like Star Wars as much as they do hunger games. Maybe this movie will lead them to slowly liking it as time goes on but don't put false labels that older nerds have a history of hostility towards women.

Women have the right to chose what to like and what not to like. If they don't like something it doesnt mean automatically that there is some semblance of sexism there. Let them like or dislike, dont force it on either sex.

you literally just called one of the only things that is liked by almost exclusively women "trashdom not nerdom" and don't see where the sexism is? girls and women DO like star wars, scifi, and nerdy things in general just as much as guys, but then they're told that it's "for boys" that they're just "fake geek girls" and like you just said "trash", and don't feel welcome anymore.