#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

32 minutes ago, Talkie said:

Fewer females in the audience has nothing to do with "geek sexism." Male fans didn't scare women and girls off and the producers have actively courted them. It may be that the most dedicated fans are male, and they were the ones motivated to see it first.

There is an alternate reading, however. Perhaps women are the ones being sexist. Maybe female filmgoers have dismissed SW because it's a traditionally male-oriented franchise. Rey's inclusion and Leia's enhanced role obviously weren't enough to overcome women's bias against the film. Fancy that.

Interesting idea.   Similar to how many males automatically discount any movie that women like?   "Chick flick" is used as an insult to a movie.    I recently read that Paul McCartney suffered with male Beatles fans because the girls liked him the most.   So many automatically rushed to proclaim John the "genius" to spite Paul.

So it makes sense that it would work the same way in reverse.   Some females probably immediately dismiss anything seen as "for boys".

• Like 1

“It looks like Avengers did,” said one rival distribution chief, “and it’s the best that tracking can offer.” Force Awakens is strong across all men and women under/over 25 with males a tad higher.  Overall first choice is 21%, total awareness is 89%, definite awareness is 64% and unaided awareness –that part of B.O. polling that doesn’t lead respondents toward naming a specific film — is a very strong 25%.

This is the first tracking released showing the female fans ARE there....just waiting to see it.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-box-office-opening-estimate-1201636913/

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If it came out in mid-July like TDK/DH2 with all high school and college kids out of school, it might have hit $70m in previews. As it stands we are looking at incredible preview number with a bit more backloading over the coming holidays at Christmas and New Year's.

And remember only 40M of the 139M presales were used last night. We're in for a historic run. 

• Like 3

Just now, Biggestgeekever said:

$57 million is PHENOMENAL. Am I personally disappointed it didn't hit the 60 I predicted? Sure, a little. But this is such an unprecedented number; I feel like we're truly in for a special run, and I plan to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Showcase Showdown. I predicted $55m, you predicted $60m. Official number is $57m. Gimme da car and vacations, Drew! :P

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Whether you find a film trashy or not is not the point. What riles me up is calling their fandom "trashdom." You are going from attacking a film to attacking people for liking that film, which is incredibly pretentious. The funny thing is that no matter how cool Star Wars fans like to think they are, lots of people still consider them "poor, pathetic nerds." Whether you like SW or Twilight, more power to nerds, geeks, and dorks everywhere. We should be defending each other, not bashing and dumping on each other, youknow?

The internet was made for defenders of Slave Leia to call Twilight "trashdom". :P

This is what I see best and worst case.   It could, higher and lower, but this is my opinion.

Worst:

62m Friday (117m OD)

65m Saturday (+5% from Fri)

52m Sunday (-20%) 

234m OW

Best:

74m Friday (131m OD)

81.5m Saturday (+10% from Fri)

71.7m Sunday (-12%)

284.2m OW

• Like 2

My schools "airhead star athlete" has been going around the school announcing spoilers because he saw it with a school field trip this morning. As a matter of fact, he actually started telling people in the lineup for the next show thinking he's funny until the chemistry teacher told him to get his butt on the bus.

If someone deserves to be in the Sarlacc Pit it's him.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, MJL said:

This is the first tracking released showing the female fans ARE there....just waiting to see it.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-box-office-opening-estimate-1201636913/

Of course women are going to watch it. But most women fans of SW fall in the casual or new fanbase who are less likely to rush for opening night is all. LMAO at the trolling insinuating the franchise is sexist because of opening night audience breakdown or that women are sexist for not watching it ASAP.

• Like 1

"he actually started telling people in the lineup for the next show"

If someone did this to me, I'd legit hit them. I'd probably go to jail and have to ask the mods here to start a gofundme account for my bail.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Whether you find a film trashy or not is not the point. What riles me up is calling their fandom "trashdom." You are going from attacking a film to attacking people for liking that film, which is incredibly pretentious. The funny thing is that no matter how cool Star Wars fans like to think they are, lots of people still consider them "poor, pathetic nerds." Whether you like SW or Twilight, more power to nerds, geeks, and dorks everywhere. We should be defending each other, not bashing and dumping on each other, youknow?

Well said.  I think the Twilight films are pretty terrible.    But that's just me.  If someone enjoys them then I'm glad they do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Actually I think BlackSpider gets BOTH Showcases since he predicted $57m. Great job dude!

Thanks buddy. Now I just hope the rest of the weekend plays out in similar fashion. It's a tad overzealous I'll admit, but when it comes to Star Wars, it's go big or go home!

• Like 1