AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

1 hour ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

Say what you like about the prequels but at least George had spent the time to create something new.

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

Even the whole Death Star/Starkiller base thing was badly set up.

In ANH you had the meeting where they talked about the final attack and strategy etc, you then had the saying goodbye bits and the X-Wing taking off for the Death Star. In SW7 all you see is General Leia talking to someone, then some person comes a long and says "General Leeia, we have found this weak spot", Leia then says something like "Oh ok, X-Wings get ready for take off" and then the attack starts. Its like zero build up and zero tension.

Plus we barely get to see any of the ariel battle/attack, its such a poor 'version' of what was a lengthy and tension and adrenaline filled ending on ANH.

If THIS film had launched in 1977 instead of ANH, we wouldn't be here talking about Star Wars now, i'm pretty certain of that!.

I think JJ was afraid of Redlettermedia. Therefore we never have those wonderful scenes where they are standing and talking, walking and talking, sitting and talking. Because scenes where two people are standing and talking in a Star Wars scene is a bad Star Wars scene. 
You see what I mean? The fanboys won the war against George Lucas and all because of them we got this male genitalia of a movie. 

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

For the most part, yeah. But I recently watched TPM and felt like the third act was a huge rehash of ANH.

You mean the final act of ROTJ? The opening act in ROTS resembles the third(ish) act in ANH where Han and Luke rescues the princess. 

10 hours ago, Charism said:

Helo priviledged people! One of the still waiting-to-see-SW hereby ask you to post a PM with opinions about music. No big spoilers please (something like "XXXs' theme is good", but not "music in the scene when Kylo perforates Han" - I don't want to hear anything about that anymore. :P ), and thank you for your messages. Obviously I'm not gona read this thread and searching that opinions for myself.

Nobody messaged me, so I'm bumping this up. :P

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

You mean the final act of ROTJ? The opening act in ROTS resembles the third(ish) act in ANH where Han and Luke rescues the princess. 

No, I just got a lot of ANH vibes from the third act of TPM after watching both of them close together. Hadn't seen TPM in a long time. The whole Jedi mentor death thing, protagonist fighter pilot blowing up shit, etc.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Plus we barely get to see any of the ariel battle/attack, its such a poor 'version' of what was a lengthy and tension and adrenaline filled ending on ANH.

Well, the hero of Star Wars was Luke, a pilot in the attack against the Death Star.

Here, our hero is Rey and she is on the ground in this battle.  The other characters thinks she needs to be rescued so they are on the ground too, therefore the aerial stuff isn't the main focus.  Seeing as how we've had countless aerial battles in the previous 6, I'm okay with that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

No, I just got a lot of ANH vibes from the third act of TPM after watching both of them close together. Hadn't seen TPM in a long time. The whole Jedi mentor death thing, protagonist fighter pilot blowing up shit, etc.  

Yeah, but it's REALLY Jedi.  

Three-way space battle, ground battle (involving primitive natives no less), and a lightsaber duel all intercut together.  The celebration scene is definitely Star Wars though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

Well, the hero of Star Wars was Luke, a pilot in the attack against the Death Star.

Here, our hero is Rey and she is on the ground in this battle.  The other characters thinks she needs to be rescued so they are on the ground too, therefore the aerial stuff isn't the main focus.  Seeing as how we've had countless aerial battles in the previous 6, I'm okay with that.

I get that but they could of added in some more dogfighting etc, thats what the trailers make you think is going to happen.

Its the same with the attack on the other planet with the X-Wings flying over the water, you see very little ariel action, barely more than you see in the trailers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

Yeah, but it's REALLY Jedi.  

Three-way space battle, ground battle (involving primitive natives no less), and a lightsaber duel all intercut together.  The celebration scene is definitely Star Wars though.

Good points. I think the Jedi mentor death thing made it feel more ANH to me but I can definitely see the comparison to Return of the Jedi. Either way he was definitely going in familiar territory and you can really feel it when you watch those old movies around the same time as watching TPM.

Edited by redfirebird2008

Surprise me ! Create something new !

I want something new in my life, I want thrills !

Surprise me or else ...

Comprehensive list of original world building elements in Force Awakens :

A few monsters designs here & there & euh ...

Just now, The Futurist said:

Surprise me ! Create something new !

I want something new in my life, I want thrills !

Surprise me or else ...

Comprehensive list of original world building elements in Force Awakens :

A few monsters designs here & there & euh ...

The monster on the Falcon looked like it should have been in Galaxy Quest lmao.

I just wanted to point out that the first Star Wars was created after the realization by Lucas and his Joseph Campbell readings that originality in storytelling doesn't exist and that everywhere in the world, the same stories have been told for centuries.

The first Star Wars had nothing really original (world building aside) in it, by Lucas own admission.

Originality is a loose, objective, frail concept.

Edited by The Futurist

Just now, stuart360 said:

The film is a solid film, go see it. No one is saying its a bad film, its just not as good as many people hoped it would be.

Speak for yourself. I think it's a bad film.