AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

4 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

No no not that. JJ got warp speed and distance completely wrong in Star Trek and he got physics all wrong in TFA. Why were the destroyed planets so close to each other? How could they be seen from the other planets? If the weapon was a hyperspace energy weapon why wasnt its blast in hyperspace? He ignores established and obvious points like that if it means a good cheap shot or lazy plot device

Well, distance in Star Wars has always been a very fuzzy thing. They made the Kessle Run in 12 parsecs? A parsec is distance, not time. Now I get that maybe they're measuring it in distance because he was plotting jumps to land dangerously close to stars and was able to get the distance impressively low or something. That's a possible explanation. But its an explanation that kinda doesn't mesh with anything else we're shown about how FTL travel works in Star Wars. 

Also, combat in SW has always happened at visual range distance. Wtf would you do that? If they have faster than light-speed drives, why do they have weapons that have less range than the guns of modern battleships?

Now, JJ is certainly not one to let physics stand in the way of story (Did the planet travel from sun to sun, recharging? How did all the trees and stuff survive the planet jumping into hyperspace?) so I don't want this to come across as a defense of him. Instead, I'll sum it up by saying that Star Wars has always been really loose with the laws of physics, and JJ managed to bump them down a notch from there. So, kind of a SW thing and kind of a JJ thing.

1 hour ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Only for those moments? :P 

At our screening, I think every familiar face or object got applause/cheers/laughter (as appropriate).

That is how it was at my showing. People clapped like 5 or 6 times throughout the movie. 

• Like 1

Did somebody really just criticize Star Wars for physics?!

It's a space opera. A space fairy tale. 

In "A New Hope", a gigantic space station blows an entire PLANET up within decent range without being hit by any debris, and is blown up by shooting a missile into a single vent. A character brags his spaceship can beat the kessel run in a measure of time rather than speed. 

In "Empire Strikes Back", the Millenium Falcon is eaten by a space worm and everybody is able to get out, and breathe normally and walk around in its goddamn stomach.

It's a fantasy. Obviously nobody is going to walk around space without a helmet, but c'mon dudes...

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

Did somebody really just criticize Star Wars for physics?!

It's a space opera. A space fairy tale. 

In "A New Hope", a gigantic space station blows an entire PLANET up within decent range without being hit by any debris, and is blown up by shooting a missile into a single vent. A character brags his spaceship can beat the kessel run in a measure of time rather than speed. 

In "Empire Strikes Back", the Millenium Falcon is eaten by a space worm and everybody is able to get out, and breathe normally and walk around in its goddamn stomach.

It's a fantasy. Obviously nobody is going to walk around space without a helmet, but c'mon dudes...

No scifi makes sence from a physics point of view, but most at least have their own rules, even star wars. What JJ does in his films is just plain stupid and illogical. That scene could have been handled a lot lot better with no loss to the story or spectacle. Quite the reverse.

21 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Actually, I'll join the chorus that what you and some others here ARE indeed trolling and breaking rules written in capslock on the thread's title. 

What you're saying here is no different than people claiming that The Avengers would be heavily frontloaded and it was a disappointment regardless if the critics AND the public clearly loved it since OW. There is denial going here, and it's not from people claiming the obvious here: this is a colossal and historical blockbuster in the making that people AND the critics clearly love it. Of course that there'll be people pissing about several things in the internet, but that doesn't mean that the film isn't being INSANELY well received. 

At no point did i say it will crash and burn, i just said i didnt think it was that great. Records will fall, whatever i think about it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Are you trying to say that the people who didn't really like the film are trolling?

No I'm saying that posting any kind of reaction (positive or negative) here on this thread has been removed before, and unless something has changed in the last 24 hours, it'll happen again. These posts don't belong on this thread, that's what I'm saying. And I'm also saying that people trying to underplay the colossal success that is The Force Awakens gives me déja vu. It happened before with The Avengers. This IS bigger than any other blockbuster out there and it's well deservedly so. Abrams crafted a masterpiece out of a franchise that was plagued by the prequels. This is going gangbusters because it's an amazing Star Wars film and marketed very cleverly by Disney. People trying to underplay blockblusters receptions is nothing new here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

No I'm saying that posting any kind of reaction (positive or negative) here on this thread has been removed before, and unless something has changed in the last 24 hours, it'll happen again. These posts don't belong on this thread, that's what I'm saying. And I'm also saying that people trying to underplay the colossal success that is The Force Awakens gives me déja vu. It happened before with The Avengers. This IS bigger than any other blockbuster out there and it's well deservedly so. Abrams crafted a masterpiece out of a franchise that was plagued by the prequels. This is going gangbusters because it's an amazing Star Wars film and marketed very cleverly by Disney. People trying to underplay blockblusters receptions is nothing new here. 

Calling this a masterpeice is the real troll.

Obviously we wont agree, so lets move on OK?

Edited by GirafficPark
  • Like 1

That's all hyperbole. A movie does not have to be a masterpiece to make a lot of money. Jurassic Shit came out literally earlier this year.

I was reading your post and all i could imagine is seeing you closed eyes, fingers in your ears and singling "la, la, la, la, la" lol.

• Like 1

I have no doubt some fans are already hating this as much as the PT already !

The Rey thing seems to bother so,soooo many people.

Power levels will be the end of JJ as a geek king.

She was too powerful.

R.I.P JJ.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

It makes me laugh seeing some ultra defensive posters in here and the other thread trying to suggest people who weren't blown away by the film have some kind of agenda against it.

Yes we all wanted to dislike the film, thats why we went to see it as soon as we could.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

No scifi makes sence from a physics point of view, but most at least have their own rules, even star wars. What JJ does in his films is just plain stupid and illogical. That scene could have been handled a lot lot better with no loss to the story or spectacle. Quite the reverse.

34 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

If you think about anything in Star Wars for more than ten seconds you'll go crazy. You have to enjoy it on a purely visceral level.

About says everything right here.

Just now, stuart360 said:

It makes me laugh seeing some ultra defensive posters in here and the other thread trying to suggest people who weren't blown away by the film have some kind of agenda against it.

Yes we all wanted to dislike the film, thats why we went to see it as soon as we could.

As it is as funny to read butthurt "fans" trying to convince the enthusiastic ones they are wrong.

Everybody thinks everybody is in denial.

Madness.

I knew the shitstorm was coming as soon as I got out and fans are having aneurisms about story beats as we speak.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Good Lord I am agreeing Ijack. What is going on here.

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

As it is as funny to read butthurt "fans" trying to convince the enthusiastic ones they are wrong.

Everybody thinks everybody is in denial.

Madness.

I knew the shitstorm was coming as soon as I got out and fans are having aneurisms about story beats as we speak.

I haven't tried to change anyones mind, in fact i have said numerous times that i'm glad some people are liking the film.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

+1

I really liked the movie and gave it a 9 on IMDb FWIW. But somehow I'm still a hater just because I thought the Kylo dude wasn't so great. According to the fanboys if you don't give this movie a perfect 10 and accept everything about it with zero criticism, you're a hater. 

1 minute ago, goldenstate5 said:

I'm fine if you didn't like it, but trying to convince people that this is the majority opinion and that we're all in "denial" like with TPM is really dumb

That wasn't me dude. I want the film to be huge, i'm hoping i start loving the film with more viewings.

Its just to suggest the people who don't like it are trolling, well thats just dumb.