AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

2 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

For me, I have no more interest in him. Seeing his face so soon ruined his aura. Hard to take him seriously now. There's no mystery to him now and he seemed like such an underling.  I mean he got his ass kicked by someone who just picked up a lightsaber. You diehard fans will come to your senses after the hype dies down. 

Sorry you didn't enjoy him.IMO, the development of the character was more important than keeping the mystery surrounding him, considering how much we learned about him. To me, taking off the mask was extremely important, because it delivered vital information about his character and contributed to his development. Character development is much better in the long run and than being cool or a bad ass. That's what stays after the hype dies down.

• Like 3

He is a joke. He was built up as a mysterious, cool figure and revealed to be whiny shithead. He's 6 movies of Vader packed into one.

I'm interested to see where they go with him. And no, I don't give a shit about the villain being beaten by the hero at the end of the movie

"The villain needs to be more intimidating, please don't characterize him next time"

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

For me, I have no more interest in him. Seeing his face so soon ruined his aura. Hard to take him seriously now. There's no mystery to him now and he seemed like such an underling.  I mean he got his ass kicked by someone who just picked up a lightsaber. You diehard fans will come to your senses after the hype dies down. 

People are nitpicking so hardcore, it's not even funny.  It's not like the phantom menace, most of these "flaws" aren't flaws at all, they only look like flaws because it's leaving questions to be answered for the sequels.

Imagine watching Empire Strikes Back and being like, "Wth, Yoda is just some cop out.  Why is a Jedi master hiding??" Or, "It's lazy writing to bring Obi Wan back as a ghost," or, "How is a barely trained kid holding his own with Vader?" Or "How convenient that Han found Luke on time, plot shield, lol!"

Theres even more you could say about a New Hope or Return of the Jedi in that manner, and then the prequels are another story.

Ill be seeing this movie a few times, maybe the "critics" view of it will be apparent.  But honestly my only major criticism is the Death Star thing, and even that might have a reason going on.

The movie's great, there's a reason it has phenomenal reviews and audiences are loving it.  And no, not everyone besides you are blind by the hype, maybe they simply liked a well made movie?

• Like 1

Kylo Ren was a really interesting villain, and I'm invested and interested in what they'll do with his character. i imagine he'll eventually become a good guy though, if they're trying to follow a trajectory similar to the original trilogy. 

Kylo ren is the most fucking useless character in all the Star Wars movies. Can't believe this fuckface took out Han Solo. That's the one pretty big negative for me about this movie. That dweeb had no business killing Han.

Edited by FilmBuff

Sorry but Kylo was a great villain, and no, I don't need to come to my senses. 

He he isn't meant to be Vader. That's the point. He WANTS to be Vader but he isn't. He's insecure and afraid that he's not going to be all that he can be because he still feels the pull of the light side. That's why he kills his father. He thinks it will erase all desire to turn back to the light side. 

Also, his outburst when things don't go his way we're great. It shows just how young, immature and impatient he is. 

As for the fight against Rey:

1. He isn't a fully trained Sith! He isn't even close to being a Sith Lord. He's basically a dark side version of a Padawan learner who still has a lot to learn. 

2. He was shot straight to the gut by Chewie. It was hindering his ability. You could especially see it during the early part against Finn. He kept hitting himself at the spot where he got shot. It was bugging him. 

3. He completely underestimates Rey because he has no idea how strong she is in the Force; which she clearly is. And she obviously has some fighting ability as evidenced by her taking out those guys in the early part of the movie with her staff. And don't forget, she was losing the fight until she calmed herself and let the force in. 

Aldo, don't think I didn't have some problems with the movie. I did. They just weren't bad enough to dampen my immense enjoyment of it. 

• Like 5

Two of my favorite parts of the movies:

The fact the Kylo was a damaged, conflicted, imperfect villain.  To try follow up what in many people's opinion is the greatest villain of all time (Vader) with a clone you will fail.   His development was and is going to be riveting.

Loved the lightsaber duel.  Part of me was waiting for Luke to show up-especially with the close up of the saber.  But it was better with Rey overwhelming Kylo.

And as far as how could Rey defeat Kylo?  It's clear she already has amazing fighting skills, she's tapping into and "letting in" the force.  Kylo is not fully trained and was shot by Chewie.  It's not a stretch at all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Kylo ren is the most fucking useless character in all the movies. Can't believe this fuckface took out Han Solo. That's the one pretty big negative for me about this movie. That dweeb had no business killing Han.

Ok bye

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

Kylo Ren is gonna be a fantastic villain for the trilogy. 

Totally agree. One of the risks taken in what many have called a "risk adverse" film is and will pay off big time.

Edited by Dark 33Legend of the Sith
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Sorry but Kylo was a great villain, and no, I don't need to come to my senses. 

He he isn't meant to be Vader. That's the point. He WANTS to be Vader but he isn't. He's insecure and afraid that he's not going to be all that he can be because he still feels the pull of the light side. That's why he kills his father. He thinks it will erase all desire to turn back to the light side. 

Also, his outburst when things don't go his way we're great. It shows just how young, immature and impatient he is. 

As for the fight against Rey:

1. He isn't a fully trained Sith! He isn't even close to being a Sith Lord. He's basically a dark side version of a Padawan learner who still has a lot to learn. 

2. He was shot straight to the gut by Chewie. It was hindering his ability. You could especially see it during the early part against Finn. He kept hitting himself at the spot where he got shot. It was bugging him. 

3. He completely underestimates Rey because he has no idea how strong she is in the Force; which she clearly is. And she obviously has some fighting ability as evidenced by her taking out those guys in the early part of the movie with her staff. And don't forget, she was losing the fight until she calmed herself and let the force in. 

Aldo, don't think I didn't have some problems with the movie. I did. They just weren't bad enough to dampen my immense enjoyment of it. 

If he's not meant to be Vader, then he should lose the mask. I cringed when he put the mask back on and talked with the amped voice after seeing what was under there. It just didn't work anymore. 

Edited by Sagemode87
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sagemode87 said:

If he's not meant to be Vader, then he should lose the mask. I cringed when he put the mask back on and talked with the amped voice after seeing what was under there. 

But part of his character is he's desperately trying to be emulate Vader?  The mask and the fact it's all for show is important characterization.

2 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

If he's not meant to be Vader, then he should lose the mask. I cringed when he put the mask back on and talked with the amped voice after seeing what was under there. It just didn't work anymore. 

The mask is clearly masking his insecurities.  It is effective.  He was pretty intimidating the first half of the movie using his force powers.

The mask is a necessity to hide his true issues.  This is the type of villain I didn't think I would see in a Star Wars movies and it's amazing to see it happen.

10 minutes ago, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

Two of my favorite parts of the movies:

The fact the Kylo was a damaged, conflicted, imperfect villain.  To try follow up what in many people's opinion is the greatest villain of all time (Vader) with a clone you will fail.   His development was and is going to be riveting.

Loved the lightsaber duel.  Part of me was waiting for Luke to show up-especially with the close up of the saber.  But it was better with Rey overwhelming Kylo.

And as far as how could Rey defeat Kylo?  It's clear she already has amazing fighting skills, she's tapping into and "letting in" the force.  Kylo is not fully trained and was shot by Chewie.  It's not a stretch at all.

Kylo leads an entire force of storm troopers. I don't think it's  reaching to assume he should be a LOT stronger than a girl with a staff who took out some storm troooers. A good villain is shown as something to overcome. They shouldn't be taken out like nothing in their  first appearance. 

9 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

Kylo leads an entire force of storm troopers. I don't think it's  reaching to assume he should be a LOT stronger than a girl with a staff who took out some storm troooers. A good villain is shown as something to overcome. They shouldn't be taken out like nothing in their  first appearance. 

A girl with a staff, who has been established as a fantastic fighter, who has some crazy otherworldly things going on with the force. Not a stretch.

Also, I think it was clear the resistance has a lot more to overcome than Kylo from a villain standpoint.

• Like 2