AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The wikipedia current summary calls Luke Rey s father.

It's somewhat implied but definitely not confirmed or canon.

The way they just casually dropped the bomb about Kylo being Han's son was like, "Wait what?"

I knew at that point something BIG was going to happen and as soon as Han confronted him... sigh.

Regardless, HUGELY entertaining movie with terrific new characters that I love. Rey and Finn are two that I can't wait to keep watching more of, and I'm interested to see more of Poe. And of course, Master Luke. 

Great battles and set-pieces, even if the story was a bit meandering and paid a bit much lip service to ANH at times.

Augh I want episode 8 now :/ 

8/10

11 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Han Solo's death wasn't completely fumbled, but it was hardly dramatic, saw it coming a mile away.  The plot had so many similarities to ANH up to that point that I knew it was gonna be the "Vader kills Obi Wan" scene of the movie.  Its like poetry, it rhymes.

And 10$ says Snoke is really Darth Plagueis that Palpatine rambled on about in ROTS.  I hope thats not the case though.

Why do not want that to be the case.  I hope he is since it would make a villain as strong as Luke. 

10 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Han Solo's death wasn't completely fumbled, but it was hardly dramatic, saw it coming a mile away.  The plot had so many similarities to ANH up to that point that I knew it was gonna be the "Vader kills Obi Wan" scene of the movie.  Its like poetry, it rhymes.

And 10$ says Snoke is really Darth Plagueis that Palpatine rambled on about in ROTS.  I hope thats not the case though.

Just because you saw it coming doesn't mean it wasn't dramatic for people. He tried to get his long lost son to come back, to take the helmet off so he could see his face. He was trying to satisfy Leahs wishes after their relationship had gone to shit over Bens turn to the dark side. The way they held onto the lightsaber was very dramatic but yes like in ANH, as soon as Rey & Finn were on the upper deck to see the bridge, it was obvious what was going to happen because they weren't going to turn Kylo Ren good this quickly. 

It worked in the story really well and it also felt like Hans story arc was complete. What more was there to tell?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I would go so far as to say it was the biggest mistake in the movie. (Well Luke not talking was pretty weird decision too.) It was not needed outside of mimicking ANH. It did not add much to Kylo's character arc. It was so obvious it was coming that by the time it happens the emotional impact was missing. And Ford was so good as Han again, I wanted him back for more movies.

PS. when i say biggest I dont mean it was bad. just the thing that stood out to me the most. Well that and the question of why Finn was sent to Jakku to kill a village when he works in sanitation.

Edited by warriormonk

The difference between this and ANH is that movie works as a self contained story. This decidedly does not. Pretty much every plot thread is left incomplete and despite being a bigger threat than the Death Star there isn't really a sense of triumph from destroying it. It's just "yay, we bought some time"

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Just because you saw it coming doesn't mean it wasn't dramatic for people. He tried to get his long lost son to come back, to take the helmet off so he could see his face. He was trying to satisfy Leahs wishes after their relationship had gone to shit over Bens turn to the dark side. 

Bolded.  Han tried to save Ben because Leia asked him to.  He did it for her... not his son.  A complicated character to the end.

• Like 1

Similarities to ANH:

Familiar beats to ANH:

• another planet/moon-sized battle station, with a single weak point
  • another desert planet opens
  • another droid who is enlisted with invaluable plans
  • family ties 
  • dashing and reckless pilot
  • a noble heroine
  • a masked villain dressed in black who reports to a deep-voiced higher power
  • a diminutive alien creature that has a special awareness/knowledge of the Force 
  • another cantina scene.

3 minutes ago, warriormonk said:

I would go so far as to say it was the biggest mistake in the movie. (Well Luke not talking was pretty weird decision too.) It was not needed outside of mimicking ANH. It did not add much to Kylo's character arc. It was so obvious it was coming that by the time it happens the emotional impact was missing. And Ford was so good as Han again, I wanted him back for more movies.

Ford was great as Han again but he probably didn't want to come back and agreed to this movie, if they would give him a good send off. And it was a good send off because it effected how Rey moves forward and creates hatred for Kylo Ren.

Just now, tribefan695 said:

The difference between this and ANH is that movie works as a self contained story. This decidedly does not. Pretty much every plot arc in this movie is left incomplete and despite being a bigger threat than the Death Star there isn't really a sense of triumph from destroying it. It's just "yay, we bought some time"

Very true. Nothing about this movie is self contained, that's for sure. I still think the new characters really being their own unique and well developed characters are what truly sets it apart though. Rey is no Luke and Finn is no Han. They are very different but work very well.  I guess this makes Poe as Leia's comparison in this analogy. :P Who btw was one of my few disappointments. He was barely involved at all. Hopefully VIII fixes that. 

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The difference between this and ANH is that movie works as a self contained story. This decidedly does not. Pretty much every plot arc in this movie is left incomplete and despite being a bigger threat than the Death Star there isn't really a sense of triumph from destroying it. It's just "yay, we bought some time"

People here are funny.

ESB has that issue doubled  tripled but it is widely considered to be the best in the series and one of the greatest movies of all time

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Its almost the exact same movie as ANH.

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

People here are funny.

ESB has that issue doubled  tripled but it is widely considered to be the best in the series and one of the greatest movies of all time

But this movie also doesn't have any of the emotional hooks that film does. Granted, ESB was underappreciated in its time but I can't imagine this movie ultimately being seen as much more than a diverting setup for a bigger story