CJohn

STAR WARS TFA MONDAY ACTUAL - 40.1M, THE FORCE IS STRONGER THAN AVATAR! (pg48)

5 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Then you must only be 6 years old. Avatar almost earning 3b worldwide is a much bigger achievement than SW making 1b domestically lol. 

Given the growth of the overseas market vs the stagnation of the domestic one, it's probably close to which is more impressive. I saw Titanic live, and that probably bests both of these, but these are neck-in-neck for impressiveness.

• Like 3

Given the growth of the overseas market vs the stagnation of the domestic one, it's probably close to which is more impressive. I saw Titanic live, and that probably bests both of these, but these are neck-in-neck for impressiveness.

NO. Jessie has already declared it the much bigger achievement. He even threw in a 6-year old insult and an "lol" to prove it.

• Like 10

I was like 4 when Titanic came out, so that is and probably will be the greatest BO performance of my lifetime, but if this got to $1B DOM it would probably be more impressive than Avatar's mega-legs. And arguably it could be around as impressive as Titanic, given the state of the market today.

11 minutes ago, RichWS said:

NO. Jessie has already declared it the much bigger achievement. He even threw in a 6-year old insult and an "lol" to prove it.

That wasnt an insult, speaking of which you're trying hard to put everything I say down. Someone been on the whiskey early this Christmas I assume ;)

17 minutes ago, JeepCSC said:

The growth of overseas markets was after Avatars release, with that in mind, it would have cleared 3b today.

8 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Yeah that number pretty much locks 150m+ second weekend. Crazy

This. I think deadline was on to something.....bear minimum for this next weekend is 140, but i think I'm sticking to 150 as well.

Only thing thats gonna stop star wars is mother nature (the real force) herself.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

im 50. no its not

Seriously only an American would think this. Star wars is massive, but if it fails to reach Avatars worldwide tally 6 years later with expanding markets on its side and being based on arguably the most iconic movie franchise in history, how can it be more impressive? Avatar was an original film, let's not put down its gross. Star wars is absolutely smashing it in some markets, avatar smashed it in practically every market, it's hard to get more impressive than that.

Also if you're 50 you're also saying it's more impressive than Titanic runs, which will end up with similar admissions sold in the US, and a shit load more overseas, makes no sense 

Edited by Jessie

6 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I was like 4 when Titanic came out, so that is and probably will be the greatest BO performance of my lifetime, but if this got to $1B DOM it would probably be more impressive than Avatar's mega-legs. And arguably it could be around as impressive as Titanic, given the state of the market today.

to match titanic's adjusted BO in given the state of the market is epic.

This will we the biggest run of all time when all is factored in. I stood in line in 95 degree heat to see Jaws and ANH and followed the BO on Tues radio. It was exciting, Titanic too. I thought Titanic would be the last one to enter the top ten adjusted when avatar fell short and like you said the state of the market.

This is epic because like titanic this will be the only entry into to top ten adjusted for 30 years but in a tougher market, maybe longer.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Seriously only an American would think this. Star wars is massive, but if it fails to reach Avatars worldwide tally 6 years later with expanding markets on its side and being based on arguably the most iconic movie franchise in history, how can it be more impressive? Avatar was an original film, let's not put down its gross. Star wars is absolutely smashing it in some markets, avatar smashed it in practically every market, it's hard to get more impressive than that.

Don't forget the ER is in the shitter right now. That hurts domestic exporters, which is what a movie studio is. This is not putting down Avatar, it's Worldwide performance is unassailable. If SW 7 was released just a few years back, it probably would have even bigger WW #s. Maybe not beating Avatar, but certainly a lot closer than it will end up.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt

11 minutes ago, RichWS said:

That wasnt an insult, speaking of which you're trying hard to put everything I say down. Someone been on the whiskey early this Christmas I assume [emoji6]

Clean and sober this season! Shame you continue to be an obnoxious dick after all this time, but we'll leave it at that. There's still time to change.

• Like 10

Avatar's DOM seemed untouchable. Even the smash, run away hit JW didn't come  close.

Now TFA may not only touch that record but blow past it by over 200 m? 

That's pretty remarkable.

Avatar's WW take is also incredible but doesn't take anything away from TFA's amazing performance.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Then you must only be 6 years old. Avatar almost earning 3b worldwide is a much bigger achievement than SW making 1b domestically lol. 

Got to agree with you on that one. A second sh*t Cameron movie earning 3b worldwide is a shock thats not going away anytime soon.

Edited by syntaxerror