baumer

Star Wars Tuesday - 37.3M (Tele/baumer bet for Wednesday drop is on page 24...much to learn one of them still has)

Looking at the Xmas day line-up I actually cannot believe Hateful 8 didn't just go wide out of the gate. That would have been many people's first choice if they'd already seen Star Wars. 

You look at the other releases. Sure there's The Big Short and Joy, but that big Xmas event is by a country mile Star Wars. Boatloads of people are going to go again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matrix4You said:

i wonder if it still sold more tickets Tuesday than Monday?

With discount Tuesday, almost certainly.

• Like 1

Mendelson at it again. Click bait of the very highest order. We already knew you weren't fussed. Doesn't mean you have to write telling everybody every single day. It's embarrassing. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/12/23/star-wars-the-force-awakens-why-its-box-office-victory-may-be-bad-news-for-hollywood/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

Interesting. It's not even worth mentioning according to this. It's just hard to believe with my knowledge of this fan base that the marathons would not absolutely dwarf the other franchises you mention. Maybe Potter or Twilight, but I just don't see it with Marvel or THG.

Because nobody wanted to sit through Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones again?

11 hours ago, spizzer said:

No this is wrong.  The capacity absolutely exists.  210M is nowhere near the max for a non-preview weekend that's ridiculous.  TFA just had 198K shows over the weekend (minus previews).  $10 average price for OW x 198K shows x 150 seats per theater (low) is 297M, and 150 is probably below the average number of seats (we've seen films sell higher).  We just got 190M this weekend and it was not even close to 90% sold out.  Heck me and Tele tracked over 1000 Thursday preview shows in LA Metro + DC Metro and combined we were a little over 50% sold out and that was the most heavy business period (we also did Friday and were running at a sub 20% sellout rate for ~2100 shows).  

We've gotten nowhere near capacity, even feasible capacity.  In fact TFA is only 5th best all time ITO non-preview opening weekend attendance.  Heck SM3 with current 3D/IMAX/PLF splits would adjust to over 210M for the Fri-Sun period.  

And I'd argue that the numbers prove, in fact, we do know what max attendance looks like and TA, JW and TFA have all hit it. The days of a larger audience are gone. There are more screens now, but theaters are smaller. The newer ones with reserved, reclining seats hold a tiny fraction of what an old non-stadium seat theater would hold. The capacity is just not there for a movie to make more than about $210M over an actual weekend.

I saw the sellouts and long lines for TA. JW was more of the same. I haven't been out to see TFA yet, but I gather is is another repeat. Unless a movie has a one hour run time, it's not making more than these movies did over a weekend, given current ticket pricing.

7 hours ago, terrestrial said:

It got reported it made $100m within a ~ 19h time-frame. They did not name the time-frame details.

I do not buy it. The numbers, 57M in previews and 63M on Friday, do not support that claim. There are physically just not enough seats to be sold for a movie to make $100M in a 24 hour period, unless a film is on something like 5 or 6 thousand screens.

Edited by doublejack
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Mendelson at it again. Click bait of the very highest order. We already knew you weren't fussed. Doesn't mean you have to write telling everybody every single day. It's embarrassing. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/12/23/star-wars-the-force-awakens-why-its-box-office-victory-may-be-bad-news-for-hollywood/

Holy fuck, he went full hot-take thinkpiece there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

It's bizarre that he's pegging SW's success as the point which would cause studios to what they've already been doing for years. You could even argue that Lucasfilm is late to the game.

• Like 8

I threw up in my mouth a little reading his article.  Does he not understand Hollywood in the slightest?  I don't "cover" Hollywood like he does but I could write a rebuttal for that article in about 60 minutes.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Me and Tele just made a bet.  I say it drops 5% or less....he has it at 17%, the middle number here is 11%.  Whoever is closer is declared the winner and the loser will donate $25.00 to the site towards the 2016 goal.

Much to learn you still have, Tele.

And if it hits 11% exact, then @#ED2-D2 gets to pay double. :ph34r: 

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Me and Tele just made a bet.  I say it drops 5% or less....he has it at 17%, the middle number here is 11%.  Whoever is closer is declared the winner and the loser will donate $25.00 to the site towards the 2016 goal.

Much to learn you still have, Tele.

You love betting $25, why not $20 or $30? Lol

• Like 2

Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

And if it hits 11% exact, then @#ED2-D2 gets to pay. :ph34r: 

Actually we should have some kind of buffer...like if it falls between 10.8 and 11.2%, then yes, ED has to pay.  HAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Like 5

this is where @e1828 and his charts would be interesting to track....

and @doublejack Deadline reported in their Saturday update (if I remember right) that officially it had sold $100m in the first 19 hours - but this film was playing nearly non-stop. Regardless of how you look at it on an average it made 4.1m an hour which translates to 99m in 24 - its very possible. But again, I don't understand the butt hurt over this since its strictly data and data that we cannot change.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

It's bizarre that he's pegging SW's success as the point which would cause studios to what they've already been doing for years. You could even argue that Lucasfilm is late to the game.

It's even more bizarre that he cannot take that everyone else loves the movie and he doesn't. That's how it reads. He honestly believes his opinion matters more than anyone else's. Why else would you write this many articles about it? Vanity of the highest order. The guy is just a low-rent blogger who doesn't even like a great Star Wars movie. 

Go ask all of those millions of fans that have felt burned since 1999 what they think of the movie. A movie from a franchise they know better than you do as to what's good for it. That might be a decent article! 

Cannot stand this guy. 

Im not one of those that whines at a negative review either. But when they keep going on and on about it, day after day - it's excruciating. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

I threw up in my mouth a little reading his article.  Does he not understand Hollywood in the slightest?  I don't "cover" Hollywood like he does but I could write a rebuttal for that article in about 60 minutes.  

Do it Baumer. Post it on his comments 

• Like 1