kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

21 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Forbes: Expect a $23.6m weekend in the US for a $241m cume. It’s at $192m in China and will top $200m in said territory today.

Soon, it will become the 2nd animated movie which makes more than $200M in two different markets.

Frozen: DOM and Japan

Zootopia: DOM and CHina

• Like 1

Zootopia:

~ $320 million, US + Canada

~ $220 million, China

~ $70 - 90 million, Japan

~ $40 - 60 million, United Kingdom

~ $25 - 30 million, South Korea

~ $20 - 30 million, Australia 

~ $27 - 30 million, Russia 

~ $150 - 200 million, other markets + holdovers

Total: $872 - 980 million 

I would rather the film end around $900 million or even the higher regions of $800 million than for it to cripple around $980 million and only be $20+- million away from $1 billion.  Honestly, the very thought of the film even remotely entering the $800 million to $1 billion WW league was, in my opinion, unfathomable... until the $75 million opening weekend occurred and the AMAZING legs kicked in at the domestic market and China went wild for the film!  Japan has to deliver now (not really, I'm just desperate), considering how well the film is performing in South Korea, Hong Kong, China, and the other Asian markets.  I think the floor for this film right now in Japan is $40 million and the ceiling $100 million.  Along with talks about 2016 marking a hopeful trend of the yen increasing, Zootopia has it all in the bag to become a massive hit!  

PS: My very first comment about Zootopia on the Chinese thread stated, "I hope it will do as good as BH6, even if it's just a fraction."  Man... who would have thought?! 

Edited by CelestialFairyIX
  • Like 2

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Olive said:

900M is very likely.

Wow, that would be wonderful. 

I love the movie as a one off, but I won't complain (much) if they make a sequel (or maybe spin-off) The world building in Zootopia is vast and full of potential, I wanna see more.

• Like 1

Zootopia welcomed $42.5million from 52 territories in its latest weekend overseas. The Disney film opened in the UK to $7.3 million (including previews). China leads all markets with a whopping $201 million, followed by Russia ($28.4M), France ($26.8M), Germany ($22.1M), and South Korea ($20.5M). Zootopia has grossed a total of $456.2 million outside of North America and $696.7 million worldwide.

• Like 1

I hope it'll explode in Japan. I saw lots of Zootopia-inspired anime-style drawings from Japanese artists online. The interest is definitely there I think. And I feel like Zootopia will have lots of appeals in the market. Here's hoping.

• Like 1

Disney crossed $1B in overseas gross this weekend. For the past three years, Disney has been the second-biggest studio of the year. This time, it will again have to fight an uphill battle with Fox, but I think it's got a lot of chances to finally finish in first. Last time it achieved this was in 2003, thanks mainly to the one-two punch of Finding Nemo and Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.

11 hours ago, Quigley said:

Disney crossed $1B in overseas gross this weekend. For the past three years, Disney has been the second-biggest studio of the year. This time, it will again have to fight an uphill battle with Fox, but I think it's got a lot of chances to finally finish in first. Last time it achieved this was in 2003, thanks mainly to the one-two punch of Finding Nemo and Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.

Is there a place to look what the highest grossing studios of the year are (worldwide)? I know i can look in Box Office Mojo for the domestic highest grossing studios, but i tried looking for the highest grossing studios worldwide and didn't find anything anywhere!

Zootopia is now the third animated movie to pass 200M$ in a market outside USA (the other two are Frozen and Spirited Away in Japan). 
However is still too early to speak about a "worldwide phenomenon", in fact the overseas gross (waiting for UK and Japan) minus China is near 250M$. Comparing it with other recents animated, WiR did 281M$, BH6 352M$, Tangled 390M$, Inside Out 475M$, Minions 755M$ and Frozen 827M$. So, will be very hard for Zootopia (at least it will not get a Frozen-style run in Japan) to pass 400M$ OS-China, in average with other Disney's (not named Frozen). 
I remember you that I'm speaking only about numbers, not quality, and that for now, the chinese $ are good for statistics but very light for studio revenues, especially for animated movies that get big business in Home Video and licensing.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, alestevens said:

Is there a place to look what the highest grossing studios of the year are (worldwide)? I know i can look in Box Office Mojo for the domestic highest grossing studios, but i tried looking for the highest grossing studios worldwide and didn't find anything anywhere!

Oh sorry for that. I meant domestically. I haven't found a WW table either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edroger3 said:

However is still too early to speak about a "worldwide phenomenon", in fact the overseas gross (waiting for UK and Japan) minus China is near 250M$. Comparing it with other recents animated, WiR did 281M$, BH6 352M$, Tangled 390M$, Inside Out 475M$, Minions 755M$ and Frozen 827M$. So, will be very hard for Zootopia (at least it will not get a Frozen-style run in Japan) to pass 400M$ OS-China, in average with other Disney's (not named Frozen). 
I remember you that I'm speaking only about numbers, not quality, and that for now, the chinese $ are good for statistics but very light for studio revenues, especially for animated movies that get big business in Home Video and licensing.  

Although it is really unfair to include in this comparison numbers for UK (where Zootopia just opened) and Japan, since those are usually 2 of the strongest markets for animation films. A more fair comp would be OS minus China, UK and Japan. 

Minions     639,5

Frozen      513,8

IO             393,2

Tangled    327

Zootopia   247,7

BH6          243,1

WiR          215,9

Zootopia's legs from current markets will carry it over Tangled and close to IO. So it won't be a Minions/Frozen level phenomenon OS but it's gonna be much bigger than any other recent WDAS film outside of Frozen. And even if it doesn't break out in UK and Japan, it's certainly gonna fly over 400m OS - China.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Although it is really unfair to include in this comparison numbers for UK (where Zootopia just opened) and Japan, since those are usually 2 of the strongest markets for animation films. A more fair comp would be OS minus China, UK and Japan. 

Minions     639,5

Frozen      513,8

IO             393,2

Tangled    327

Zootopia   247,7

BH6          243,1

WiR          215,9

Zootopia's legs from current markets will carry it over Tangled and close to IO. So it won't be a Minions/Frozen level phenomenon OS but it's gonna be much bigger than any other recent WDAS film outside of Frozen. And even if it doesn't break out in UK and Japan, it's certainly gonna fly over 400m OS - China.

Indeed. Big Hero 6's total overseas gross is 435 million. Zootopia will come close to that number even without China gross which is really impressive!