kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

3 hours ago, Dingdong123 said:

I think it's more on the design in the hollywood animated films. Like, if they ain't cute/kawaii enough they aint going for it by much. And let's be real Inside Out doesn't boast any really cutesy characters.

3 hours ago, Infernus said:

I was quite surprised too. Japanese, if anyone, were supposed to know which one is the bettee animated product. The too dark etc. argument is bullshit. With their anime industry (which has major Seinen and Josei genres) they basically are the foremost,even much ahead of US, when it comes to people who dont see the animated medium as something just for kids. Which means that when it comes to animated products they, unlike the other countries which are more inclined towards targeted fare like Ice Age and minions more, should be inclined towards the more intelligent titles, and they are, usually. We can't really just say that maybe it didnt resonate with the east Asians since it had a very good WOM run in South Korea, but then SK and Japan are different countries too so maybe it could still have been possible, who knows. And actually minions performing as it did wasn't too surprising. In the end kawaai is a major part of the culture and minions' laughs resonated with them just like the rest of  world. But IO should have made more than it did and def more than minions. 

But anyways, to conclude anything based on just one occurunce would be foolish and immature. Maybe this was just a one time thing? An anamoly in the system, something specific to these two titles?

Yeah, with the cuteness factor of Minions, I guess I get why it was a success in Japan. But I was so sure that Inside Out would break out there, especially with the glowing review. Maybe it's just a one time thing, and this result is the exception. Zootopia's performance will tell us more about this.

7 hours ago, catlover said:

Yeah, with the cuteness factor of Minions, I guess I get why it was a success in Japan. But I was so sure that Inside Out would break out there, especially with the glowing review. Maybe it's just a one time thing, and this result is the exception. Zootopia's performance will tell us more about this.

Yeah. Zootopia has everything in its favour. Its got cutesy characters, great reviews and a good story that stands on its own even without the underlying messages. Should atleast come to BH6's gross. I see 60m$ as the floor for this and around 80m$ as the reasonably optimistic near-high end

It has already surpasses Wreck-It Ralph's after only being out for just over a month! :o I though my $700 million WW was optimistic but $850 million is where I think it will end up granted huge success in Japan! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arlo245 said:

It has already surpasses Wreck-It Ralph's after only being out for just over a month! :o I though my $700 million WW was optimistic but $850 million is where I think it will end up granted huge success in Japan! :D

Its at 480m right now. For a 210m final total in china we add 75m to that. For 290m In US we add 130m more. Lets add 65m for japan. 30 for Brazil. 20 for Australia. 45 for UK. 45m from remaining markets (made 26.5m this weekend). Thats 890m with very reasonable numbers. I'd say thats the very low end. 

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 1

I don't see how this misses out on 900.  I think it will do somewhat better in the UK than your estimate and somewhat better than your estimate for Japan.  However the posibity is there for it to do considerably better in both those markets and slightly more in China and the U.S.

950 is a possibility and 1 billion if and only if it breaks out pretty big in both UK and Japan.

My estimate is 925 WW.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Planodisney said:

I don't see how this misses out on 900.  I think it will do somewhat better in the UK than your estimate and somewhat better than your estimate for Japan.  However the possibility is there for it to do considerably better in both those markets and slightly more in China and the U.S.

950 is a possibility and 1 billion if and only if it breaks out pretty big in both UK and Japan.

My estimate is 925 WW.

Of course of course. I think and hope so too. The numbers I gave were the near-low end for each and everyone of those markets. It can easily do more in the opening markets than I said and should complete with more in the holdovers. What I gave were the low ends. What I got was, as I said, the 'very low end'. 

• Like 1

Zootopia has reached $320.2m via Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International as studio executives aim to capitalise on debuts in Australia and Brazil.

As of Friday the family hit stood at $479.4m worldwide. It should soar past the half-billion mark and approach $400m internationally on the back of two major debuts and strong holds.

Zootopia has grossed $130.4m in China, $24.3m in France, $22m in Russia, $15.7m in Germany, $15.1m in South Korea, and $14.3m in Mexico.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/zootopia-to-cross-500m-worldwide/5101664.article?blocktitle=LATEST-INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40071

I think Japanese film market as a whole has been moving towards more lighter and non-serious directions for the past few years. Flooded with TV series movie specials and relatively more juvenile, even cheesy anime movies (like Yokai watch) than before. And not just film industry, music business also, as you can see with the AKB48 dominance and the stronger kawai idol culture, compared to the diverse JPOP scene a decade or two ago. And Inside Out, in this new cultural environment might have com off as just thematically too mature of a movie whereras they just want some light cute entertainment, and it was not like a misfit between the content and the medium like being mature and adult "for an animation", since, as it was pointed out earlier, they are much less biased about the medium itself.. Blame it on the economy maybe..? 

Let's not keep our hopes up for $1B WW just yet. $850M is good enough. UK and Japan are two key markets and it is not guaranteed the film will perform exceptionally in either. In any case, it's great that Disney is providing daily updates to the overseas gross.

2 hours ago, yjs said:

I think Japanese film market as a whole has been moving towards more lighter and non-serious directions for the past few years. Flooded with TV series movie specials and relatively more juvenile, even cheesy anime movies (like Yokai watch) than before. And not just film industry, music business also, as you can see with the AKB48 dominance and the stronger kawai idol culture, compared to the diverse JPOP scene a decade or two ago. And Inside Out, in this new cultural environment might have com off as just thematically too mature of a movie whereras they just want some light cute entertainment, and it was not like a misfit between the content and the medium like being mature and adult "for an animation", since, as it was pointed out earlier, they are much less biased about the medium itself.. Blame it on the economy maybe..? 

It was almost 10 years ago when it changed. I lived in Japan until 2007 and I loved J-Pop so much. Lots of great songs back then. But right after I left, somehow the Japanese music scene changed dramatically. I really miss the old J-Pop.

Edited by catlover

On 3/18/2016 at 11:32 AM, yjs said:

It's just how Japan and any other developed country works; they flow with the current of fads, an reform occurs, they stick with it for years or decades, and another fad comes along, and the cycle repeats (basic, very basic outline).  In terms of the economy, it has been "rebounding" (If you can call the yen's staggered growth a rebound) but the economic bubble that Japan built during its peak years of exponential growth only to have it burst due to carelessness has immensely degenerated the economy.  The economic golden years of the early 2010s are to be missed.