kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

I think 900 is a safe bet at this point with a shot at 1 billion.  I still think it's got a good shot at 300 domestic as well.  

One thing I know for sure is OH MAN are the Chinese Disney parks going to be getting some Zootopia attractions!!!!!  Lol

Edited by Planodisney

On 9/3/2016 at 0:31 PM, cannastop said:

Have you seen Zootopia?

Yes, and I loved it, but I don't see a great licensing/marketing appeal in it, so I think, as happened for Inside Out, that Disney will say  "Let It Go" to its promotion soon.

More: Disney isn't too interested to create a new brand for now: They have Star Wars/Frozen as boy/girl main team (SW is exploding everywhere, Frozen is still stellar, analysts says that those two brand alone are responsible of a +10% growth of the toy market in a worldwide level in 2015)  and Avengers/Princess (these are rumored to get a lifting by new producer Hasbro) as a second option. Internal competition isn't so loved at the mouse house: for example in "male" brands such as Star Wars and Avengers it is almost impossible to find products related to the female characters, despite the relief that they have in the movie.

5 minutes ago, edroger3 said:

Yes, and I loved it, but I don't see a great licensing/marketing appeal in it, so I think, as happened for Inside Out, that Disney will say  "Let It Go" to its promotion soon.

More: Disney isn't too interested to create a new brand for now: They have Star Wars/Frozen as boy/girl main team (SW is exploding everywhere, Frozen is still stellar, analysts says that those two brand alone are responsible of a +10% growth of the toy market in a worldwide level in 2015)  and Avengers/Princess (these are rumored to get a lifting by new producer Hasbro) as a second option. Internal competition isn't so loved at the mouse house: for example in "male" brands such as Star Wars and Avengers it is almost impossible to find products related to the female characters, despite the relief that they have in the movie.

No licensing or marketing appeal? It's filled with fluffy cute animals!

Granted, those animals are concerned with adult shit like taxes, kidnapping, conspiracy and racism, but they're still cute!

• Like 1

I didn't see this coming...

• It will cross $100M in China tomorrow. $89M so far
  • increase in 2nd weekend, Saturday a massive $25M -highest single-day gross ever for an animated film
  • Biggest Disney animated movie and may overtake KFP3 as highest grossing animated movie.
  • China leads overseas markets, strong as well in France, Russia and Korea.
  • OS crossed $200M on Thursday and pushed past $300M global on Friday.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/zootopia-100-million-china-box-office-single-day-record-1201719363/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

I didn't see this coming...

• It will cross $100M in China tomorrow. $89M so far
  • increase in 2nd weekend, Saturday a massive $25M -highest single-day gross ever for an animated film
  • Biggest Disney animated movie and may overtake KFP3 as highest grossing animated movie.
  • China leads overseas markets, strong as well in France, Russia and Korea.
  • OS crossed $200M on Thursday and pushed past $300M global on Friday.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/zootopia-100-million-china-box-office-single-day-record-1201719363/

Did anyone see that coming? I never thought it would make more than Big Hero 6.

15 hours ago, cannastop said:

Did anyone see that coming? I never thought it would make more than Big Hero 6.

I knew it would be huge, didn't know this huge. Its only major competitor in China is local flick Ip Man 3(its predecessor Ip Man 2 beat Iron Man 2 in China easily)

But Ip Man 3 has been plagued with piracy, as its Bluray Dvd was released in Hong Kong around the same date as the theatrical release in China plus a lot of bad press surrounding its distributor... so its largest competitor sort of killed itself thanks to fraud distributor, and many other movies actually escaped March because of Donnie Yen's Ip Man 3 (such as Jackie Chan's skiptrace)...

so the whole month is pretty empty thanks to Ip Man 3 as other local movies wanted to avoid it but Ip Man 3's distributor then decided to kill itself, setting an almost entirely free month for Zootopia to earn based on good WOM.

14 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I knew it would be huge, didn't know this huge. Its only major competitor in China is local flick Ip Man 3(its predecessor Ip Man 2 beat Iron Man 2 in China easily)

But Ip Man 3 has been plagued with piracy, as its Bluray Dvd was released in Hong Kong around the same date as the theatrical release in China plus a lot of bad press surrounding its distributor... so its largest competitor sort of killed itself thanks to fraud distributor, and many other movies actually escaped March because of Donnie Yen's Ip Man 3 (such as Jackie Chan's skiptrace)...

so the whole month is pretty empty thanks to Ip Man 3 as other local movies wanted to avoid it but Ip Man 3's distributor then decided to kill itself, setting an almost entirely free month for Zootopia to earn based on good WOM.

Did you see any trailers? Did you think Chinese audiences would see it based on those?

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Did you see any trailers? Did you think Chinese audiences would see it based on those?

Yup, watched the international and even the chinese trailer. Haha, I think it doesn't look appealing to be honest. That is why it had a weak opening last friday on March 4th in China. But that is why it was a big surprise, people had literally 0 expectations and when WOM was good... curiosity kicks in and everyone wanted to know how good can it be... Haha. 

Unlike KFP3's trailer where everything is pretty much predictable and the quality is good but isn't surprising. I think the surprise factor was important here..

25 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Yup, watched the international and even the chinese trailer. Haha, I think it doesn't look appealing to be honest. That is why it had a weak opening last friday on March 4th in China. But that is why it was a big surprise, people had literally 0 expectations and when WOM was good... curiosity kicks in and everyone wanted to know how good can it be... Haha. 

Unlike KFP3's trailer where everything is pretty much predictable and the quality is good but isn't surprising. I think the surprise factor was important here..

Wait, have you seen Zootopia for yourself?

20 hours ago, cannastop said:

No licensing or marketing appeal? It's filled with fluffy cute animals!

Granted, those animals are concerned with adult shit like taxes, kidnapping, conspiracy and racism, but they're still cute!

Surely I'm wrong, but working in this area (selling entertainment products and toys) I see what (more or less) consumers wants to buy  (in a not english language country). So, ranking the brands of the latest Disney-Pixar productions from 1 to 10, I'd say:

Frozen - 11 (the toy market operators are praying every day for something of simillar)
Sofia The First - 7 
Tinkerbell / Disney Fairies - 7 
Descendants - 5
Planes - 5 (thanks to the "Cars" connection)
Tangled / Rapunzel - 4 (Now in the Disney Princess brand)
Big Hero 6 - 4
Brave - 3 (Now in the Disney Princess brand)
Inside Out - 3
Wreck It Ralph - 2
The Good Dinosaur - 1

Zootopia: I think  between 4 and 6, It depends on how Disney will believe in this.

• Like 2